Just Wanna Show Off My Cans

CamoCachers

Tjose look really great. Is there a template available for that stencil?

i bought the geocaching game piece stencils from Sissy-n-CR, give them a pm.

the "stick" and "leaves" and homemade.

ive been experimenting with paint jobs for ammo cans for a while now. these have come a long way from our first. i dont think id change much at this point. ive got it down good. and im slowly switching out our old cans for cans in the new scheme so all of our containers look this good.

the colors are flat black, flat brown, khaki, and olive drab.

first layer is khaki, and before i spray i lay down a stencil ive made that looks like a tree branch. and dont worry about completely covering the base color. all you need to do is lighten it up.

next color i do is flat black. this time i switch to leaf cutouts. randomly placing them on a side and misting the paint on. again, dont over do it, you dont want solid black, just a mist. the layers are so thin they dry almost instantly. you can apply the next color within a minute, or about the same amount of time it takes to do all 6 sides (yes the bottoms are done too :) )

the next 2 colors are olice drab & flat brown and repeat using the leaf stencils, just alternating them to where they werent the time before.

the green and brown can be changed up some to customize the box to the area its at. the top box had green next, and brown final. i made it darker because its gonna slide in a hollow log.

the second one i didnt even use brown. i wanted to keep it a little lighter because of the area its going to be in.

and finally i used sissys stencils to finish it off. and ill write in the cache name & our names on the front when they are placed with a black magic marker.

9214b50d-bded-485c-8153-d088a90852e6.jpg

Let me know how the granite works out for you. I primed & painted an ammo can like yours last summer. Never got around to placing it, but left it out in the side yard as a test. After 1 or 2 "Ohio snows", most of the paint had flaked off.

I'm not sure the cause. Strange that it flaked off, even with use of a primer coat

I also did a screw-top plastic container, and had the same issue.

Edit: spellung.

Edited by Crystal Sound
Let me know how the granite works out for you. I primed & painted an ammo can like yours last summer. Never got around to placing it, but left it out in the side yard as a test. After 1 or 2 "Ohio snows", most of the paint had flaked off.

My stone flecked cans have held up well. I used something called ClearCote to seal the containers.

I'm not sure the cause. Strange that it flaked off, even with use of a primer coat

I also did a screw-top plastic container, and had the same issue.

Edit: spellung.

I didnt get very good results with fleck paint either.(also Ohio) It's supposed to be an interior deco paint, but I figured I'd try it anyway. Moisture gets into the pores of the flecks and when it freezes, it cracks. I can see clearcoat working, but how many rocks do you see in the woods that have a shiny gloss to them? That kinda defeats the purpose of the flat colored, unsmooth surface. Try this, take some Gorilla glue (after you sand the box)(yes you need to sand the box if you dont want to repaint it every 2 months) put a bunch of small dots all over the surface of the box being careful not to glue the lid on. Use different size dots also. When that stuff starts drying, it swells. If done right, it should look like (shapewise) a bunch of pebbles. You can just use the regular painting method after that, or paint the texture like pebbles. Why dont you just glue pebbles on it, you ask? Cause the last time I did that, the ammo can ended up weighing 20lbs. empty. Stone accent paint good for interior accents, bad for sitting out in the woods. You can always use stucco for that stone look, and you can get almost any color. Stop starin at me bloomin onion!

Edited by TeamGuisinger

I didnt get very good results with fleck paint either.(also Ohio) It's supposed to be an interior deco paint, but I figured I'd try it anyway. Moisture gets into the pores of the flecks and when it freezes, it cracks. I can see clearcoat working, but how many rocks do you see in the woods that have a shiny gloss to them? That kinda defeats the purpose of the flat colored, unsmooth surface. Try this, take some Gorilla glue (after you sand the box)(yes you need to sand the box if you dont want to repaint it every 2 months) put a bunch of small dots all over the surface of the box being careful not to glue the lid on. Use different size dots also. When that stuff starts drying, it swells. If done right, it should look like (shapewise) a bunch of pebbles. You can just use the regular painting method after that, or paint the texture like pebbles. Why dont you just glue pebbles on it, you ask? Cause the last time I did that, the ammo can ended up weighing 20lbs. empty. Stone accent paint good for interior accents, bad for sitting out in the woods. You can always use stucco for that stone look, and you can get almost any color. Stop starin at me bloomin onion!

There's two things that struck me as funny with this post. First, they had an ammo box that weighed 20 lbs. after they glued a bunch rocks on it ... Second, I can't remember the last time someone stared at my onions. :huh:

I can see clearcoat working, but how many rocks do you see in the woods that have a shiny gloss to them? That kinda defeats the purpose of the flat colored, unsmooth surface.

They really don't look glossy at all. Hidden among rocks the Fleckstoned ammo boxes are nearly impossible to spot even with a layer of Clear Coat.

I also use Clear Coat to seal caches covered with cloth camo tape.

Edited by briansnat

its a good idea to put a finish of clear coat on your 'cans' after you paint them. I work in an art supply store and we sell a version of Krylons crystal clear called matt finish. It is the same thing as the glossy, but matt. Perfect for protecting from the elements and from muggles! You sould be able to find it at most art or craft supply stores. I've even seen it sometimes at Wally world.

its a good idea to put a finish of clear coat on your 'cans' after you paint them. I work in an art supply store and we sell a version of Krylons crystal clear called matt finish. It is the same thing as the glossy, but matt. Perfect for protecting from the elements and from muggles! You sould be able to find it at most art or craft supply stores. I've even seen it sometimes at Wally world.

Guess I'm going to have jump on the bandwagon and bare my can too! This is my first attempt at digital camo. I think I want to change the order of paint and may try to add some gray next time. For this can I used Camo Olive Drab, Camo Dark Brown and Flat Primer Brown. I think I want the light brown under the dark brown. Boy, let me tell you, that Krylon Camo Paint is FLAT!

Just got my Sissy-N-CR Stencil and used it on the can. I got a little heavy on one end of the stencil - just have to get the hang of that.

DCP_5357.jpg

I've seen several mentions of Criminal's Pages for camo info. One link I tried to follow was not good. Are those pages still up?

JohnTee

Edited by JohnTee

I need to get a combo lock that I can reset the numbers to the amount of pennies glued to the one box. :laughing:

I know, tedious. How many pennies does it take to get to the center of this cache? :lol:

One penny flakes off and your combo lock is usless, though.

Its gorilla glue. On my test I tried to pry one off, it bent the penny first before the prybar finally popped it off. No worries. :lol:

One penny flakes off and your combo lock is usless, though.

Looks like a padlock to me.

That's why I said

I need to get a combo lock that I can reset the numbers to the amount of pennies glued to the one box.

I know, tedious. How many pennies does it take to get to the center of this cache? :D

Edited by TeamGuisinger