Caching Abroad

As I have never cached abroad, how many would cache in countries where there has been bother in the past

would you be weiry to pick the box up. one cache i came across 2nite after searching for caches in far off lands was GCPGCF I have been before when it was called by another name, this cache is on the border and the cache contents would make me think twice before picking it up, it's really just to get an idea of how cachers would think when confronted with a should I risk picking it up or not situation, I myself would leave well alone, I was thinking about going back over later on this year or early next , thats why I did the search.

Nige :)

Not sure where this one is Nige, as I get an error message on GCPGCF saying:

An Error Has Occured

Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published.

I've never even given a moment's thought about foreign caches and treat them exactly as we do here. Mind you, the only places we have cached outside the UK are the US and Denmark which I would consider relatively safe. :) We hopefully plan to add three more countries soon though! :D

Where was this one?

Not sure where this one is Nige, as I get an error message on GCPGCF saying:

An Error Has Occured

Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published.

I've never even given a moment's thought about foreign caches and treat them exactly as we do here. Mind you, the only places we have cached outside the UK are the US and Denmark which I would consider relatively safe. :) We hopefully plan to add three more countries soon though! :D

Where was this one?

I sometimes get that same error message here looking for caches that are published, and I donyt know why.

Anyway GCPCGF is in Crotia, on the border with the federation of bosnia and herzegovina it was placed by mindless666 on 19/ 6/05 and has no found logs , yet has 4 watchers, it's contents include 4 AA cells and A SUPRISE ITEM. thats the bit that would put me off touching the box, given it's location

Nige :D

im just back from america where i did some caching one of the caches i did had a log a couple of days before about if you took the wrong turn there was a rattle snake i was terrified as i needed to do the cache as it was a tb hotel and i went back 3 times i was stamping around making as much noise as possible but i was terrified and was pleased to get away. Also did a night cache which we managed to get ssome wildlife in the car with us :) we nearly crashed the car trying to stop to get this massive insect out and i mean massive it was about 2 inches long oh god i shudder at the thoughts hubby isnt frightened of anything but he was that night :D

Caching in Dublin, the only place beyond the Shaws (little local literary joke there for you) of the UK, was fine. One physical I found was right by a police station and 'disguised' but it didn't seem a problem at all, even in a fairly sensitive location. Common sense, as always, should be applied and if I didn't feel comfortable I'd walk away.

Anyway GCPCGF is in Crotia, on the border with the federation of bosnia and herzegovina it was placed by mindless666 on 19/ 6/05 and has no found logs , yet has 4 watchers, it's contents include 4 AA cells and A SUPRISE ITEM. thats the bit that would put me off touching the box, given it's location

Nige :)

That wouldn't have occurred to me - it's hardly unusual to say there's a surprise item in a cache. And given that it's on an 1830m peak it doesn't surprise me that it hasn't been visited yet either.

However, when I was in Croatia a couple of years ago there were large areas where you were advised not to step off a hard surface, because there are still land mines. So to answer your question, no, I wouldn't go caching there. Locals presumably know what's safe and what isn't - I don't.

I did my first caches abroad last Summer in Spain, Portugal and the Canaries. As SCAW says my main worry was the wildlife. :) Walking through waist high grass not knowing what may lay ahead gave me the creeps a bit, but, i did get the caches no problems. :D

Wouldn't take the risk in Moscow at the moment though!!!

I've been a little careful when caching in the US, partly because it was hunting season and I was in the woods, and partly because a couple of caches I was looking for were hidden amongst rocks and I didn't want to disturb any hibernating beasts. I figure I'd have spotted a bear's hide but snakes don't need a very big place to hide. In the area I was caching they get copperheads and rattlesnakes. Even a non-poisonous racer or black snake could have startled me enough to cause a nasty fall.

I cache abroad all the time and never any probs,although once scared living daylights out of myself in Spain, when i lifted a rock and there was a snake looking at me.!!!!!!!...............dash back to hotel for a quick change of undies!!

I have twice come across Adders while out caching in Essex - lucky they are far more scared of us than we are of them - still makes you jump however.

BTW Danbury Common in Essex is home to the largest population of Adder Snakes in the UK.

Edited by *bingoboy*

Nige :P

That wouldn't have occurred to me - it's hardly unusual to say there's a surprise item in a cache. And given that it's on an 1830m peak it doesn't surprise me that it hasn't been visited yet either.

However, when I was in Croatia a couple of years ago there were large areas where you were advised not to step off a hard surface, because there are still land mines. So to answer your question, no, I wouldn't go caching there. Locals presumably know what's safe and what isn't - I don't.

I toured round Croatia quite extensively this summer, although I only found two caches. (I also has a standard "life's too short for this huge pile of rocks" DNF).

The locals do indeed know what's safe and what isn't. That's why the caches are in safe areas. Croatians don't like getting blown up any more than you do. If in doubt, walk in the placer's footsteps. :P

Yes, there are areas marked "minefield" in Croatia. This is because some known mined areas haven't been cleared yet. But the rest of the country is a lot safer than, say, hanging around on the average street corner in Manchester trying to grab a micro while being watched by the local youth.

One other thing you see when driving around, is ghost villages. There are quite a few of these up in the hills. There might be 20 houses, half of which will have the roof caved in by artillery fire, and all with lots of bullet and cannon shell damage. A few hundred metres along the road there may well be a memorial to all the people who lost their lives there. Bad things happened, but it's still a terrific place to visit.

Anyway, the "surprise item" in GCPCGF is undoubtedly an FTF prize. Come on people, give the citizens of these countries a bit of credit. I think we all watch a lot too much TV news.

But the rest of the country is a lot safer than, say, hanging around on the average street corner in Manchester trying to grab a micro while being watched by the local youth.

Er... yes. Sorry, "I wouldn't go caching there" was supposed to mean "in areas you're warned against", not "the whole of Croatia". But I see now that not at all what I actually wrote :P

I'd also assumed the "don't step off the tarmac" thing was ultra-conservative guidance for tourists, and that people who actually live and work there operate to more sophisticated rules... but perhaps not.

I'd also assumed the "don't step off the tarmac" thing was ultra-conservative guidance for tourists, and that people who actually live and work there operate to more sophisticated rules... but perhaps not.

I don't think I'd stop at a random point by the road and assume that since it's 500 metres to the nearest minefield sign, that I was safe. But if a cache has been placed, you have to assume it's OK. Mines are placed for a purpose, which is generally to force enemy troops to go round another way (where you have prepared "other ways" to receive them). They don't get left around in ones and twos, and European armies generally have the discipline to mark them.

FWIW, the bomb disposal people in the two northernmost départements of France pull something like 100 tonnes of explosives out of the ground annually... from the First World War!

I was rather wary about sticking my hand into holes and under bushes in India when I cached there last year. I found myself a nice pokey stick... although how much use one of them would have been against a King Cobra I am not so sure. As it was, the worst thing I found was a nest of very large black ants, partying on top of the cache.

I am off to turin next week for a couple of days for the olympics. I am unsure though whether to go caching during my time there as rehiding a tupperware box near an olympic venue could spark a terrorist evacuation etc. not what i need!

Don't worry too much. If a cache is anywhere near a site you'll need a ticket to get in. Also, most of the action is either downtown (in which case it'll probably be micros) or dozens of km away in the mountains (where the caches will be under snow for the season).

If I were going to worry about being shot by trigger-happy anti-terrorist police, I'd stay clear of London. :)

Nige :anibad:

the "surprise item" in GCPCGF is undoubtedly an FTF prize

Just resurrecting an old thread that I spotted on my subscriptions list..

The GCPCGF cache is still unfound. There was an attempt on it but that was unsuccessful. I wonder how valuable the surprise item is? :anicute:

Caching in Dublin, the only place beyond the Shaws (little local literary joke there for you) of the UK, was fine. One physical I found was right by a police station and 'disguised' but it didn't seem a problem at all, even in a fairly sensitive location. Common sense, as always, should be applied and if I didn't feel comfortable I'd walk away.

I wouldn't poke around in Dublin without a stick...the level of drug use there is obvious when caching.

And the same applied in Australia...for different reasons :anicute:

Edited by Firth of Forth