Do You Remember?

legna and sOulbAit

Do You Remember?

Do you remember when geocoins were only traded or given as a personal thanks?

Do you remember when geocoins were sold between $3.00 and $4.00?

Do you remember when you could find geocoins in a cache as a first finder’s prize that had never been sold?

Do you remember when geocoins were treasured when you finally found or traded for one?

Do you remember when the online auction site never had a geocoin up for auction?

Do you remember when geocoins were traded “one for one”?

Do you remember when it was really hard to find, that special limited geocoin?

This is not for pros and cons about geocoins, it is just to bring back memories to the older collectors and a little bit of history to the new collectors.

Are there any other Do You Remembers that you would like to add?

Do you remember when geocoins were treasured when you finally found or traded for one?

Speaking of trading, I would love to trade you for one of your coins, I have a couple of BBB coins left and a couple of the LE Tennessee Microcoins put back for trades if you are interested....

Do you remember when geocoins were signature items and not travelbugs?

Do you remember when shipping costs were not an issue?

Do you remember when there were only three icons?

Do you remember when a Bluegillfisherman wooden nickel was considered a geocoin?

Do you remember when personal geocoins could not be pruchased?

This is fun...

Edited by Rupert2

Do You Remember?

Do you remember when you could find geocoins in a cache as a first finder’s prize that had never been sold?

Do you remember when the online auction site never had a geocoin up for auction?

This is not for pros and cons about geocoins, it is just to bring back memories to the older collectors and a little bit of history to the new collectors.

Do you remember, chalk hearts melting on a playground wall?

Do you remember, dawn escapes from moonwashed college halls?

Do you remember, cherry blossom in the market square?

Do you remember, I thought it was confetti in our hair?

By the way didn't I break your heart?

Please excuse me, I never meant to break your heart

So sorry I never meant to break your heart

But you broke mine...

That was from Kayleigh by Marillion, like 1986 or something, I remember that.

And to end all debates that might transpired Fish WAS Marillion

Do you remember when people said micros would ruin geocaching?

Do you remember when people complained that they were't able to get coins because there weren't enough being made?

Do you remember when most coins weren't trackable?

Do you remember when people complained that there are too many caches?

Do you remember when peple said no one goes to that restaurant any more because its too crowded?

Do you remember when people said micros would ruin geocaching?

Do you remember when people complained that they were't able to get coins because there weren't enough being made?

Do you remember when most coins weren't trackable?

Do you remember when people complained that there are too many caches?

Do you remember when peple said no one goes to that restaurant any more because its too crowded?

Hey I remember some of these from yesterday! :)

I do remember my first geocoin.

Do you remember yours?

I do remember who gave it to me.

Do you remember who?

I do remember when it was special.

Do you remember that it still is?

I remember when I got the coin out of the cache this morning.

Do you remember today is a special day?

I remember when gas was 19 cents a gallon,a soda was a dime and a candy bar was a nickel.

So on this special day remember that special someone that got you into geocaching.

The coins and tokens are not the main theme remember?

It is who you met,how you remember them and how you want others to treat you.

Time goes on so always remember that special thing about the day that you will keep in your memory and ....logs from now on.

Remember the ALAMO!!!

Had to get that one in being a Texan.

Now to remember to keep this topic related to geocaching.

Do you remember your 1st cache?

Do You Remember?

Do you remember when movies only cost 10 cents ... <sigh>

Do you remember the smell of the creosote plant when we'd have to eat on Easter with my crazy old uncle and aunt? (I know at least 1 person here who should understand that)

Serious replies:

Do you remember when coins only came in 1 metal?

Do you remember the days when you actually tried to get "every coin"?

Do you remember what the very first trackable personal coin was?

Do you remember when the geocoin trading thread only had 10 pages?

The way I see it these are the good old days. Even though I am new to Geocaching with just a little over a year. This is a great sport and great fun. For those of you that think all coins are in the hands of collectors that is not so. I run a Query every week that keys in on travel bugs. My query this week shows 27 valid geocoins in caches within 25 miles of my house. The same query I ran almost a year ago had only 2 geocoins listed. All I can say is thanks to people like moun10bike that helped start the good old days just like today. Happy caching and I plan to drop more coins in caches this year than I did last year. Between Georgia coins and USA coins I put out 25 or so. Maybe it will be 50 this year. These are the good old days for Geocoins. :):D Big Rick

Do you remember when geocoins were signature items and not travelbugs?

I have to say "no" on this one - the first geocoin released was both a signature item as well as a Travel Bug (as were the next hundred or so)!

Edited by big rick

I don't think I've ever saw a trackable coin for this price come to think of it...

It is fairly tough to do, since $1.50 of it goes to the tracking number. So that would mean that you are actually selling a coin for $1.50 to $2.50. I'm working on it though... :)

--Marky

I remember a happy time when someone could announce a new geocoin here and the majority of fellow cachers would (at the very least) appreciate the new "choice" they've been given. Lately, I've seen a few folks get grilled here like they're Supreme Court nominees. That's some cold dinner for new folks that are just trying to join in the addiction. If ya don't like the coin (or even the person doing the coin), how about cappin' the harsh opinions, and crackin' open a can of Kumbaya instead?

Just spreading the love... :)

Sincerely,

St. ValentYime

I remember over two years ago my first batch of coins costing me almost 700 dollars (I paid for them not y'all) for 100, now you can get a batch of 100 for 398 dollars and now they cost MORE!?

I remember when I found a joy of caching coin and had no clue what it was back in 2002!

I remember a happy time when someone could announce a new geocoin here and the majority of fellow cachers would (at the very least) appreciate the new "choice" they've been given. Lately, I've seen a few folks get grilled here like they're Supreme Court nominees. That's some cold dinner for new folks that are just trying to join in the addiction. If ya don't like the coin (or even the person doing the coin), how about cappin' the harsh opinions, and crackin' open a can of Kumbaya instead?

Just spreading the love... :P

Sincerely,

St. ValentYime

What he said.

I think it is safe to say the whole thing has gotten out of control. I have limited myself to state, organizations and trading ONLY for personal coins.

I remember frinding the Geopups/Geocubs CT/VT coin on Mt. Equinox in VT.

I remember when Avro gave me his coin.

I remember when I found a NDBB coin in a cache in a TRL series in NJ.

I remember when DHenninger gave me his coin.

And I remember when TRL gave me theirs.

(And, when I see Avro, Dave and TRL they will all get mine in return.)

I remember when Moun10bike was the only coin and when the chance came up to get one I decided I'd rather find it in a cache and have no regrets over that decision.

The 2006 Idaho was 4.XX a coin if not less. Tracking would have made it 6.XX a coin and that's still cheaper than most.

I remember when I finally did find a coin in a cache. It's been a total of 1 so far. However I'll be leaving 20 or more in caches next summer. Coins in caches should be on the rise in spite of everthing else going on.

I've given away more coins than I've been given. :P It was worth it.

My first coin was given to me by a forum member when they learned that I had found 800 caches and never saw a coin. Too cool.

YMMV.

I remember my first (an only geocoin find). It was a USA geocoin that was left as an FTF prize for a puzzle cache. That is not to say that I have not found my fair share of tokens out there. Geo-tokens have become much more attractive to collect IMHO.

Do you remember the 2004 California geocoins? If I remember correctly they were under $3 each and shipping was based on actual shipping weight. Those were too cool!

If ya don't like the coin (or even the person doing the coin), how about cappin' the harsh opinions, and crackin' open a can of Kumbaya instead?

Do you remember when you could punch the Diet Pepsi button on a vending machine, and you actually got a Diet Pepsi? :D Hopefully the Kumbaya button works better than that, or you might end up crackin' open a can of Whoop ..... uhm never mind.

Do you remember when the geocoins didn't even have their own forum?

I do, and man it was hard to figure out what to do! I was a travel bug forum moderator and there were never any disagreements or warnings or time outs or deletions or edited threads or commercial links.................... Ah the good ol' days, life was good.

Now it's just a little more exciting! :D

Do You Remember?

Since I've only been collecting (only a few) for about 6 months I have to say No, or give you a couple ???? for most of those questions. But I was wondering about those 3 or 4 dollar coin?! (Who?When?HOW?) Not gc.com trackable obvisously, but doesn't mold dies cost around $200 or more by itself?? Did they these people make a LOT of coins? or eat the die costs or what??? :D

If ya don't like the coin (or even the person doing the coin), how about cappin' the harsh opinions, and crackin' open a can of Kumbaya instead?

Do you remember when you could punch the Diet Pepsi button on a vending machine, and you actually got a Diet Pepsi? :D Hopefully the Kumbaya button works better than that, or you might end up crackin' open a can of Whoop ..... uhm never mind.

Touche. I 4m pwn3d. However, the more I think about it...it's fitfully ironic that the vending machine dispensed Lemonade. :D BTW: Come to think of it, regarding your personal coin...what do octopi have to do with geocaching in Utah? I know it's a salt lake and all, but is there some strange semi-evolved Utahpus living in there? :D

but doesn't mold dies cost around $200 or more by itself?? Did they these people make a LOT of coins? or eat the die costs or what??? :)

Dies are about $75 a side for 2D, or $55 if you know what yer doin and who to go through/who not to go through :ph34r:

ok but that still 110 - 150 for (two 2D) dies. Do them in brass, no colors, and sell it at cost?? :anibad:

but doesn't mold dies cost around $200 or more by itself?? Did they these people make a LOT of coins? or eat the die costs or what??? :)

Dies are about $75 a side for 2D, or $55 if you know what yer doin and who to go through/who not to go through :ph34r:

ok but that still 110 - 150 for (two 2D) dies. Do them in brass, no colors, and sell it at cost?? :anibad:

Many metals are the same price, and you can usually get up to 4 colors at no extra cost.

Do you remember when you could punch the Diet Pepsi button on a vending machine, and you actually got a Diet Pepsi? :) Hopefully the Kumbaya button works better than that, or you might end up crackin' open a can of Whoop ..... uhm never mind.

Touche. I 4m pwn3d. However, the more I think about it...it's fitfully ironic that the vending machine dispensed Lemonade. :ph34r: BTW: Come to think of it, regarding your personal coin...what do octopi have to do with geocaching in Utah? I know it's a salt lake and all, but is there some strange semi-evolved Utahpus living in there? :anibad:

Double Touche. Maybe I should have put a pair of brine shrimp on my coin instead of octopi. No comment on the Utahpus....I'm speachless. There are however a couple of interesting caches in the middle of the Great Salt Lake. One is a Travel Bug Graveyard, and the other is actually at the bottom of the lake.

Do You Remember?

Sure do, and those coins mean the most to us..

You can still do this and have them Trackable.. Wow, some folks are making a car payment on us..

Thats the way we plan to keep it..

How about when they didnt have Anything Geocaching related??

Now the hardest thing is finding one in our price range..