Manitou/colorado Springs Area

TeamGuisinger

We're coming to Colorado in June to see if our eastern lungs can handle the altitude caching. We are visiting my sister who lives in Manitou, but our secret plan is to get her hooked on geocaching. She's already a hiker/runner(one of those who thinks running the Pikes Peak Marithon is fun) and loves outdoor stuff, so it shouldn't be hard to convert her. :D As of right now, we may only use one full day caching, but I would definately like 2 better. ;) Anyway, with the area being so saturated (Manitou/Colorado Springs) and quite a few listings are 2-3 mile hikes, we're trying to figure out a game plan. We dont really like quick stops, but like I said we're packing a day full and we're not sure how the altitude will affect us. We're also planning to hit all the local interest spots (the gorge, garden of the gods, pikes peak, etc.) so we'll hit some of those caches during sightseeing. We're staying a mile from the trading post at garden of the gods, and I think that were going to place one since my sis runs in a very scenic area like every day and will take over maintaining it for us. So, we need your input since yall know what to expect. My only worry as of now is some of the critters that we're not used to.(I dont think they'll let my leadslinging sidekick on the plane.) :D Let's hear it, where should we go, whos the tricky dicky hiders of the area. We like a challenge, we also like seeing forgotten history. Also we're looking for a noctournal, and I would love to tackle a 5/5 since there are none here in Ohio. :D

We're coming to Colorado in June to see if our eastern lungs can handle the altitude caching. We are visiting my sister who lives in Manitou, but our secret plan is to get her hooked on geocaching. She's already a hiker/runner(one of those who thinks running the Pikes Peak Marithon is fun) and loves outdoor stuff, so it shouldn't be hard to convert her. :D As of right now, we may only use one full day caching, but I would definately like 2 better. :D Anyway, with the area being so saturated (Manitou/Colorado Springs) and quite a few listings are 2-3 mile hikes, we're trying to figure out a game plan. We dont really like quick stops, but like I said we're packing a day full and we're not sure how the altitude will affect us. We're also planning to hit all the local interest spots (the gorge, garden of the gods, pikes peak, etc.) so we'll hit some of those caches during sightseeing. We're staying a mile from the trading post at garden of the gods, and I think that were going to place one since my sis runs in a very scenic area like every day and will take over maintaining it for us. So, we need your input since yall know what to expect. My only worry as of now is some of the critters that we're not used to.(I dont think they'll let my leadslinging sidekick on the plane.) ;) Let's hear it, where should we go, whos the tricky dicky hiders of the area. We like a challenge, we also like seeing forgotten history. Also we're looking for a noctournal, and I would love to tackle a 5/5 since there are none here in Ohio. :D

That's great, we'd love to have you visit and convert another local to geocaching! If you're looking for a truly challenging cache, try THE FALCON CHALLENGE. If you don't have enough time for that, solve the puzzle on Cinco de Saxo before you visit and bring your notes with you (no pun intended). It can be hiked in a couple of hours.

Since you'll be around Manitou Springs and Garden of the Gods, head down to Bear Canyon/North Cheyenne Canyon and take your pick from quite a selection of caches (center your PQ around 38° 47.500 W 104° 54.200 or so). I hesitate to list cachers known for good hides because I know I'll forget someone, but here goes anyway: mtnbirders, pudentane, vorticity, Team Jasks, hikerRon, hiking_fool, sparrowpi, rob14erguy. There are many more, those are just the names I could think of that have hidden caches in that immediate area.

When you figure out what dates you'll be here, let me know. I might have a free day and we could go caching together!

When you figure out what dates you'll be here, let me know. I might have a free day and we could go caching together![/color]

:D;) I wouldn't get near him :D The last out of town cacher that did is still MIA :D;):D

Word is he tried to make them do Cinco :D

Edited by Dr123d

... My only worry as of now is some of the critters that we're not used to.(I dont think they'll let my leadslinging sidekick on the plane.) :D ...

Got some good information on PQ's and CO geocaching. Now let me try and subdue any worries about "unknown" creatures up at these parts:

You will be in the active season of what we here call "The Outsiders" (Latin: Enkroacheeingunus Frumahlsighds) Mainly migrating from California and Texas. Rather harmless, though some do get really over self-inflated when approached, it's more just for show.

The native species (Well as native as one can be called without being truly Native American) (Latin: Thinctherahlhiandmytea Becusthyskeeinshoorts) are pretty laid back and always willing to let one pass through their territory, just don't try and make yourself too comfortable or they may turn on you...

... :D ...

Oh, wait, you meant like lions, tigers and bears?!?

How does it go? "...they're more scared of you than you are of them." ;)

Above all, have fun and enjoy your CO geocaching. Maybe study a little about altitude (radiator caps?, if driving up), animals and other CO anomalies, but don't let it get you too down.

There's always a few CO "natives" around willing to help out.

We're coming out the 15th-23rd of June. Not sure if the misses would be up to 15k, but I'll try anything. The critters I was refering to would be either the bear, or the rattlers. I like snakes and handle them usually whenever I find them, but not used to being as cautious around here because of the rarity of running into something deadly. The bear, well size and predictability would be my fear there. I'm definately into seeing some old mines, or ghost town remnants. (I absolutely LOVE history) It's always good to meet new cachers, especially some who get to cache in such scenic places.

We're coming out the 15th-23rd of June. Not sure if the misses would be up to 15k, but I'll try anything. The critters I was refering to would be either the bear, or the rattlers. I like snakes and handle them usually whenever I find them, but not used to being as cautious around here because of the rarity of running into something deadly. The bear, well size and predictability would be my fear there. I'm definately into seeing some old mines, or ghost town remnants. (I absolutely LOVE history) It's always good to meet new cachers, especially some who get to cache in such scenic places.

Bears, mountain lions, lynx, they're up there, but I don't personally know anyone who's had any trouble with them.

You're obviously not looking for a bunch of drive-up, grab and go caches, and I'm right there with you. For a good list of caches that are both mentally and physically challenging in the Pikes Peak region, take a look at this.

Have fun, this a great area.

I cant wait to get there. I've been there once, but it was years ago and I was only a teenager then. Hopefully the bandit who hangs bags of crap in the woods will be done with his reign by the time I get there. I was thinking there was a planecrash site cache out there somewhere, but couldn't find a listing. I'm probably thinking of somewhere else in the rockies. We will be celebrating our wedding anniversary while we're there also, so anyone know of a cool place to eat, or go out for a night?

I cant wait to get there... I was thinking there was a planecrash site cache out there somewhere...

I know of a B17 crash site up North.around Pingree Park off Highway 14. I still have the gc waypoint number somewhere I'll try and get for you. It is no longer a cache though.

The bears shouldn't be a problem. Mountain Lions could be, not maybe or will be, a very remote threat. Those cats will hunt when hungry and the don't discriminate. In the past years there have actually been mountain bikers/runners attacked (up by Boulder). This does not happen a lot, but you just need to be aware of your surroundings and keep the kids and dogs close by. No playing hide and seek or other run around games that can attract attention.

There really is nothing much to fear. Other than Saxman :) , I mean. Leave your hand cannon home and enjoy the trip.

I cant wait to get there... I was thinking there was a planecrash site cache out there somewhere...

I know of a B17 crash site up North.around Pingree Park off Highway 14. I still have the gc waypoint number somewhere I'll try and get for you. It is no longer a cache though.

The bears shouldn't be a problem. Mountain Lions could be, not maybe or will be, a very remote threat. Those cats will hunt when hungry and the don't discriminate. In the past years there have actually been mountain bikers/runners attacked (up by Boulder). This does not happen a lot, but you just need to be aware of your surroundings and keep the kids and dogs close by. No playing hide and seek or other run around games that can attract attention.

There really is nothing much to fear. Other than Saxman :smile: , I mean. Leave your hand cannon home and enjoy the trip.

Zoltig (Mr. B.): Reference the Mountain Lions; go here www.thebeastinthegarden.com, and I also recommend reading the book by the same title. Website has a very good photo gallery. A very good read. Actually was done by Biologists in Boulder pertaining to the lions and a study there. These cats were actually taking people pets off of their porches, looking into the windows of peoples homes, they were and still do get very bold when allowed to.

They have a radius of about twenty miles over a seven to ten day period. They can easily drag a full grown deer through the snow for a mile. One the DOW tagged and released up there was sighted down here in Manitou Springs years back; number 10 if I remember correctly. When children stray from a hiking pack lions are very quick to remove them from the trails, and they are never seen again except for the childs clothing or ... And no they dont discriminate when they are hungry.

Kurt.

There really is nothing much to fear. Other than Saxman :smile: , I mean. Leave your hand cannon home and enjoy the trip.

Zoltig (Mr. B.): Reference the Mountain Lions; go here www.thebeastinthegarden.com, and I also recommend reading the book by the same title. Website has a very good photo gallery. A very good read. Actually was done by Biologists in Boulder pertaining to the lions and a study there. These cats were actually taking people pets off of their porches, looking into the windows of peoples homes, they were and still do get very bold when allowed to.

They have a radius of about twenty miles over a seven to ten day period. They can easily drag a full grown deer through the snow for a mile. One the DOW tagged and released up there was sighted down here in Manitou Springs years back; number 10 if I remember correctly. When children stray from a hiking pack lions are very quick to remove them from the trails, and they are never seen again except for the childs clothing or ... And no they dont discriminate when they are hungry.

Kurt.

The B-17 crash that I was thinking of is GCC1D. It took me a while to find it, but alas!!

I see that you caught on to the "hide and seek" reference, Mr. H. After 8-10 years (memory) and they finally found some clothing. Up by Long Draw I believe. I'll check out the website and book. Thanks, Kurt!