Caching Quirks

A cacher in my general area drives me a little crazy, although I'm sure he has no intentions of doing that. Seems like whenever he finds one of my hides, he always mentions something like "hope it doesn't get muggled," implying that my hide wasn't that great. And to be honest, a couple aren't so great but I know the place where it's hidden receives so few visitors, that the muggle-factor is pretty low.

He also always takes pictures. That's his thing, and I know that. But he takes photos of the cache container, and I don't like it when it's my container. I'm one of those people who won't give a container description. That my thing. But he's never been one of the first finders, so it didn't really bug me a lot (well, maybe just a little, but not a lot).

I just placed four new caches, and lo' and behold, he's FTF on three and DNFs on the fourth. And yep, right there for all the second and third and all the other finders to see are photos of my containers. One in particular bugs me because it's not my usual type of hide and not my usual container and I thought it was kind of sneaky. But now everyone knows what they're looking for. :D

I take a bit of devious pleasure on his DNF because he didn't trust his GPS and probably let the hint mislead him. Said he wondered if the coordinates were off. The FTF said the coords were right on. ;)

Anyway, just a bit of a venting. Others probaby have similar stories???

"Dear [Cacher],

Congrats on your recent FTF's on my new caches. I'm glad I at least challenged you on the one you DNF'd! I appreciate your interest in hunting for my caches.

Could I ask you a favor? You upload a lot of great pictures with your logs. But some of my cache containers are camoflaged and/or unusual, and I've noticed that you've posted photos of them. If you could keep those photos for just your own reference, in order to avoid "spoilers," I would really appreciate it. Of course, if you're just posing with a regular ammo can or film canister, I could care less.

Thanks for your consideration. Let me know if you want a hint on that one cache! ;-)

Happy geocaching,

hide & seekers"

I just looked at your caches and I agree on one at least (Franklin)...if that's the actual hiding spot it was out of line posting that pic, although, you have the ability to delete the image. A polite email might solve your problem.

Actually the Franklin one was ok. The hiding spot was at least 10ft away from where he took the photo. And, I did want a photo of Franklin so I was more than fine with that one! It was the photo for No Evidence that I didn't like.

He's just playing the game as he likes so I hate to criticize him. My husband suggested that I ask that no photos be posted for 60 days or something like that. Maybe that's a thought.

Ironically, there's a cache that both he and I have DNFd on several times. I'm up to three or four now, he was about the same before he finally found it. He hasn't posted a photo for that one!

I uploaded some pics of a cache site "Winged Cat" and then I noticed that I gave away extra credit info ... and I immeadiatly removed the pictures.

Ask politely for them to be removed from the cache page and tell him to post on his own personal page without any cache name or waypoint references.

It's your cache ..... and you have every right to delete the pictures .... or copy the original and pixelize it to hide the cache container, remove the original and replace with your edited version.

;) ImpalaBob

"Dear [Cacher],

Congrats on your recent FTF's on my new caches. I'm glad I at least challenged you on the one you DNF'd! I appreciate your interest in hunting for my caches.

Could I ask you a favor? You upload a lot of great pictures with your logs. But some of my cache containers are camoflaged and/or unusual, and I've noticed that you've posted photos of them. If you could keep those photos for just your own reference, in order to avoid "spoilers," I would really appreciate it. Of course, if you're just posing with a regular ammo can or film canister, I could care less.

Thanks for your consideration. Let me know if you want a hint on that one cache! ;-)

Happy geocaching,

hide & seekers"

I want the Leprechauns to compose all of my correspondence. Every time he suggests an email it is so polite and tactful. My email suggestion wouldn't have been half as nice and I would have spent hours trying to compose a nice email. :)

Here's an idea sure to get under HIS skin.

Go around and change all the containers after he's posted his pictures. Follow-up cachers will look at his pictures and wonder "Well what the hell is HE holding?" :D

LOL, that's too funny! I might just have to do that. . . .

I do plan on finding some of his caches someday and logging "nice hide. Hope it doesn't get muggled." :)

On a side note, the match holder used in no Evidence, is in fact a very commonly used container.

Yeah, I realize it's not a unique container, just unique to me since I've not used one before! Actually, I've never found a cache in one of these either, come to think about it, but I only have about 80 finds.

It's listed as a micro, but if the cacher knew specifically what container he/she was looking for, I think it would make this find easier. Just my opinion.

Ooooh, Ooooh... me, me! There's one cacher in my not-terribly-immediate area that has many finds... he had trouble finding a few of my caches in one particular park and left comments like, "If it's buried, it still is, I guess... PASS!" :) Same negative-type comment on each one in that park. :D Then, in another park, he found one & said he almost passed on this one due to "previous coord problems," but that these coords were right on the money... "Go figure," as if I don't know how to take coordinates & I just *happened* to get a set right for once!!! :D

As if that weren't enough, he left a note on SOMEONE ELSE'S cache about how these coords were very good, and that someone else in the park had given bad coords, in his opinion. :D

Now, granted, with ONE of my caches, it seems as if there is a 50/50 split between people who have no probs finding & those experiencing coord probs. I've made a note of it on the page, checked it with both our GPSR's. But the others, no one has mentioned bad coords, just jumping from tree cover.

Don't get me wrong... I've never met the cacher, and maybe this person is very nice, but they sure do sound grumpy & accusatory! :D

Happy Caching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

I have two-the first is a very high number cacher in these parts who in person is mostly a nice gentle person. But his logs online are so pompous they have become a running joke. He feels the need to point out his caching experience level, and number of finds and in so many states, and some personal connection to the location from his many years of travels. And if he can't find a hard one it must be missing. :P

The other ones who get me are the cachers who have to stop the world so they can pose the cache container, log book, GPS, and body parts for a picture at each and every find they make. grrrr. sign the dam log and let's move on. You want pics, take them of the pretty scenery around the cache areas. Isn't that why it was hidden here in the first place? :P

<<done ranting, thanks for the opportunity>>

... I could care less.

Sorry to be picky, but this is one of the things that I'm on a lone crusade to change in this world. The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less".

If you "could care less", that means that you care some. If you "couldn't care less", that means you don't care at all.

I'm also trying to rid the world of the non-words "alot" and "allot". I see these around here a lot.

I've given up on trying to deal with "your" vs. "you're" - and "their", "they're", and "there".

... I could care less.

Sorry to be picky, but this is one of the things that I'm on a lone crusade to change in this world. The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less".

If you "could care less", that means that you care some. If you "couldn't care less", that means you don't care at all.

I'm also trying to rid the world of the non-words "alot" and "allot". I see these around here a lot.

I've given up on trying to deal with "your" vs. "you're" - and "their", "they're", and "there".

And that is all the time you've been "allotted" for "your" crusade here. :D It's neither here nor "there", but you can correct them until "you're" blue in the face, and "they're" still going to butcher that phrase, because they really "couldn't care less".

Oh yeah - thanks a lot. Now I know I'm not the only one. :D

And that is all the time you've been "allotted" for "your" crusade here. It's neither here nor "there", but you can correct them until "you're" blue in the face, and "they're" still going to butcher that phrase, because they really "couldn't care less".

Too funny! That is one of my pet peeves too. :D

I have two-the first is a very high number cacher in these parts who in person is mostly a nice gentle person. But his logs online are so pompous they have become a running joke. He feels the need to point out his caching experience level, and number of finds and in so many states, and some personal connection to the location from his many years of travels. And if he can't find a hard one it must be missing. :D

The other ones who get me are the cachers who have to stop the world so they can pose the cache container, log book, GPS, and body parts for a picture at each and every find they make. grrrr. sign the dam log and let's move on. You want pics, take them of the pretty scenery around the cache areas. Isn't that why it was hidden here in the first place? :D

<<done ranting, thanks for the opportunity>>

I just want to know how far into western NC "these parts" covers? Are you talking to me? :D I actually think I know to whom you refer, but since I tend to ramble in my on-line logs I will not comment vis-a-vis the pot and kettle.

I also like to take photos of myself and/or the group I am with. I try to not post spoiler shots of the cache -- if it is unique and/or camouflaged -- or the location.

Just wait until I visit wimsey's locale and post tons of photos of his caches! :D

To get my post back on thread, there is a caching duo in the area who hardly ever post DNFs. And I know that they have them. Their logic is that they will be back to eventually find the cache, but as an active cache placer I value the DNF info.

... I could care less.

Good luck with your lone crusade. My personal campaign is to try to stamp out the "me and so-and-so" syndrome, as in "Me and Timmy went to the cache". I know it sounds peculiar if you aren't used to it, but "Timmy and I went to the cache" is the right way to say it. I am always surprised by this phrase. No one that I know would ever dream of saying "Me went to the cache," so I can't imagine why they say 'me' instead of "I"- and I need an English teacher to explain why we mention the other person first (instead of saying "I and Timmy") but I am presuming it is just the accepted convention.

Back on topic:

As for cachers in my area who do things that annoy me, I just try to be an example of the way I think it ought to be. I have dropped a kind note to a novice once or twice if they hit my cache and did something that most cachers around here dislike (Such as giving explicit directions to caches). We don't really have any obvious irritants now that one guy has dropped out of the game.

oop, my mistake the cacher mentioned in the original post in this topic DNF'd one of mine, maybe that's why there was no photo, I just checked the log I thought he had found it.

I only took a photo with me, the cache and GPS once that was this past Sunday mainly because it was a 5/3, and there were already photos of the actual cache container online.

Edited by Tsmola

TNLNSL TFTC is a polite way of saying " this was an uneventful, no reason, wonder why I am here, can't imagine why there is a cache here cache"

I am trying to visit every cache in my area and although I only have 45 finds I have already learned what TNLNSL means

Or...TNLNSL-TFTC can also mean, "We cached all day/night and bagged dozens. Now I have a limited amount of time to get them logged so the owner will at least know we were there - and then I have to go to work/bed/dinner."

ON the physical log, it might mean, "We found this cache on a day/night in which we intend to hunt for as many caches as we possibly can. When we get home, we hope to have so many caches to log online that we'll only have time to post the same kind of log there."

It could also mean, "I love to cache, but I'm very busy. I barely have time to hunt in between obligations and even less time to log them online. I liked your cache, or else I wouldn't even bother with TNLNSL."

Don't take it personally. It's not about you or your cache. Some people would rather hunt than write.