Is It Possible To Download All The Caches At Once?

TCAW

hi, i was just wondering if it was possible to download all the caches for individual countries or the whole world at once in one very large file. It would make my life a lot easier if i were able to do this.

please reply if you know if it is possible or know how it can be made possible.

As a premium member, you can download up to 500 caches at a time using the pocket queries feature. You can have up to five pocket queries run every day. Theoretically that means 17,500 caches per week. It'd take you a few months to get every cache in the world, and by then your data would be stale and you'd need to start over again.

How would having cache data for, say, Australia make your life easier? I'd begin by concentrating on the 500 caches closest to your home. ;)

You might want to consider downloading enough cached to hold you for one or two caching trips near you home coordinates. You know, 30-40 ought to do it for a couple of weekends.

That's two pages of .LOC files, for a non-premium member. I agree, that would be a great start. Once the OP finds some caches and gets hooked, I hope he will consider a premium membership. GPX files beat LOC files! ;)

You may have missed what The Leprechauns said about stale data. The geocaching data base is constantly being updated. New caches are approved and exisiting caches get archived, meaning they are no longer available. Less often, coordinates may be updated or something in the description of the cache may change. Downloading all the caches in the world or for some large region is probably only useful if you are planning to do some statiscal analysis of the data. I supposed if you are a serious researcher you might try contacting Groundspeak.

two words - Google earth - with the geocaching overlay you have technically downloaded all geocaches available. I know the nay sayers are going to nay say - you can only look at 200 or so per day but have you ever tried too look at more than that? my eyes get goofy.

cheers good luck and enjoy the find.

Bwmick