Coast Guard Boss Faces Indecent Exposure Charge.

TheBadger

I was hoping to show a link to the article, but it wasn't published online.

In todays ChronicleHerald (HFX NS-Tuesday Feb 14th, 2006) they talked about a park in our city that is popular to the gay community. "...On Dec 17 playing global positioning game called geocahing - a sort of high-tech orienteering treasure hunt - when he was accosted by a middle-aged man....."

It's unfortunate that GeoCaching is getting connect to bad press. What do people who have never played geocaching after reading this story? If I read this story I wouldn't think of geocahing as a family activity, and wouldn't want my kids doing it.

It's unfortunate that GeoCaching is getting connect to bad press. What do people who have never played geocaching after reading this story? If I read this story I wouldn't think of geocahing as a family activity, and wouldn't want my kids doing it.

I wouldn't think twice about it (other than maybe not in that park)...what if the story said -

Another man complained to police, saying he was in the park to play frisbee when he was accosted by a middle-aged man who exposed himself.

Would you keep your kids away from frisbees??

I agree with KoosKoos. The story is clearly about the perv not our sport. Now if he had been geocaching and did something indecent then you'd have negative press.

This one though is no big deal to geocaching. The person doing geocaching is clearly the victim and people would empathize with that victim.

JDandDD

If people put more thought into their cache locations and were more dilligent with maintenance, this sort of nonsense wouldn't happen.

Cheers!

C-A

I am not sure I understand this statement, as one who has on a few occasions interrupted this activity in our public parks, how do you know this is occurring unless you walk into it. The cache involved here was a new cache and the cache placer was not aware of the activities, I don't think the cache should have been archived and removed due to illegal activities of others. I think all users of the park should be able to safely use the park, not only geocachers, had this been a youth just walking through I am very concerned on what could have happened. I have never been directly assaulted, was followed once but they turned around after a very nasty/concerned look in their direction and I still do not know was their intention was but they were back sitting in their car when I left. In all cases, I never blamed the cache owner or that the cache was placed there.

Couparangus Posted Yesterday, 09:04 PM

If people put more thought into their cache locations and were more dilligent with maintenance, this sort of nonsense wouldn't happen.

Cheers!

C-A

What a strange thing to say? Caching, while to the outsider might seem odd, is fairly harmless.... exposing one's self is rarely acceptable behavour in any outdoor occurance.

Maybe I'm not aware of the nuances, but around our city places with frequent issues like the one quoted, are either cleaned up, or only known by rumour...

I couldn't have told you about an area of drug use, UNTIL there was a cache there and I went to find it.

<_< The Blue Quasar

Not sure if I offended anyone with my last statement - that wasn't the intention. I was just trying to put across that caches should be stashed in good (nice) places. Every cache I've placed has been in an area that I know well or have researched well beforehand. I get the impression that some people in their zeal to stash a cache will plonk it anywhere. In a perfect world public parks should be fine but I know of 2 in Toronto where I'd never stash a cache because they are frequented by degenerates. You can't do much about random flashers or amourous couples, but I don't think this was the case here as the park was well known as a meeting place for homosexual men looking for sex. Shame on the cacher for stashing something here I say.

:lol:

Cheers!

C-A

Not sure if I offended anyone with my last statement - that wasn't the intention. I was just trying to put across that caches should be stashed in good (nice) places. Every cache I've placed has been in an area that I know well or have researched well beforehand. I get the impression that some people in their zeal to stash a cache will plonk it anywhere. In a perfect world public parks should be fine but I know of 2 in Toronto where I'd never stash a cache because they are frequented by degenerates. You can't do much about random flashers or amourous couples, but I don't think this was the case here as the park was well known as a meeting place for homosexual men looking for sex. Shame on the cacher for stashing something here I say.

:lol:

Cheers!

C-A

It sounds like you are blaming the victum, and yes, the cache placer would feel just as much as a victum as the cacher who was assaulted here. Had I not walk into the same activity at another park, I would have never known it was taking place and I was looking at hiding a cache there. It is a nice little park, a number of famailies with small childern just 100 meters away so it was not a deserted place, I am still stunned by this and think it is wrong, no matter the orentation and gender.

There was a local cache placed in an area that during the day is pretty innocuous - it is used by downtown workers for their summer lunch area.

Unfortunately, after hours it is not a place that you would want to visit. After the cache was placed those "in the know" posted notes and the cache was fixed to mention that is it daytime friendly only.

Whether you agree that the location is cacheworthy or not, I would hope that locals would post helpful notes so that the cache owner is aware of the .. ahem... other uses of area and can make an informed decision whether to carry on with the cache.

There is a great area in Hamilton that just begs a cache - great views, interesting plaques etc..... but... it's a known 'pickup' place for alternative lifestyle participants (mostly at night). I don't know how well this is known though, it was in the paper a few years ago.

I did one cache down in the US that had the interesting name of Pickle Park. 'Nuff said.

Just to shed a little light....

I beleive the reason this story came to air is because of the concerns of the activities that have been going on in this particular park during daytime hours. There has been at least one other cache that has been archived in this park because of what was going on.

I feel that a member of our community chose to bring this to the media in an effort to reclaim our parks and play areas from these sick individuals. I of course have no proof of this but am verbalising my opinion.

The whole thing was discussed at length as to what should be done (if anything) over at MGA