Pocket Query Clarification

JetMonkey

I have a question regarding the search radius and cache limit when setting up a pocket query. There is a setting for the radius of your search (default is 100 miles) and there is a setting for how many caches the query will look for in that radius.

I typically set the radius for a search to the approx max distance that I’m willing to drive for this query, I then set the number of caches to the max limit of 500.

What is it then that should result in my query? Suppose in reality this is an area that is heavily loaded with caches, say there are 1000 of then in the radius of my search (say 50 miles this time). I know I should only see 500 caches since this is the max limit of the query, I’m assuming that it’s the 500 closest to the center of the location that I’m asking for (say I used a zip code for this search). Basically the caches in the query would start at the center of the zip code I entered then working it’s way out until the max limit of 500 is reached? If this were a very heavily loaded cache area, in theory I could reach the 500 cache limit but only be 10 miles out in my 50 mile request? The query doesn’t do anything odd like pick 500 caches (since I asked for 500) that are located in the full 50 mile radius (since I asked for 50) and give me 500 random caches scattered across this whole area (since I asked for 50 miles) does it? Hopefully this question makes sense!

Now what if the opposite were true, suppose I was headed for a part of the country where caches were spaced out far from each other. If I used the same settings, 500 caches and 50 mile radius, but in reality there were only 300 caches in this radius all I would see this time in my query would be the 300 caches and they would be located across the full mile radius?

I know this sounds like a pretty basic question, and I’ve probably answered it for myself but I want to make sure I understand the two search limits of the query.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Steve

Sounds like your assumptions are correct! Works outward from the epicenter of your search (zip or supplied coordinates. This gets easier as you get more finds. Koikeeper and I are well over 600 finds and our searches show a no cache zone around us. We look for pockets of caches to drive to on weekend excursions. FTFs are growing because of this also. When any new caches are activated close by .... we go for them. ;) ImpalaBob

Koikeeper and I are well over 600 finds and our searches show a no cache zone around us. We look for pockets of caches to drive to on weekend excursions. FTFs are growing because of this also. When any new caches are activated close by .... we go for them. ;) ImpalaBob

Thanks, actually, I never thought about the "no cache zone" makes perfect sense to me!