Generic Geocoins

Frisco05

:D Geez! You guys slay me!! :D

Everyone gripes about $8-$12 coins that everyone buys and no one puts out in caches.

Now you are presented with a affordable option on a geocoin that doesn't have anything special about it other than a creative way to be plain. Hence making them more likely to travel if you were to place them in a cache, instead of being snatched up into someones collection.

And just because they are 48 cents (or 98 cents for an LE) more that one of the least expensive mass produced coins out you Poo-Poo on it! ;)

Let's slap some color on the USA coins and see if they would still be available for $4.99 ;)

Sure these don't have lots of detail and exciting artwork, but they aren't intended to! :D

They are made to go back into caches and travel.

If cost is really the issue here, the 1" ones are 2 cents cheaper!

D-man :D

I think that the term "generic geocoin" is a tongue-in-cheek reference to all the "special" this and "exclusive" that. :D I *also* think that too many people complain about Geocoins not traveling anymore, and I think that these coins are a good answer to that complaint. ;) I *ALSO* think that it's a bit snobbish to turn your nose up at these coins just because they are named "generic;" :D they still paid to have them trackable on gc.com, and they are still a good price, and I, for one, think they're pretty cool with their clean, simple lines! ;)

So, Tyvek suit in place, there's my ten cents worth! :D

Happy Caching,

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

Edit: I promise Gridlox & I did NOT plan our tirades to come at the same time! hehehe

Edited by TeamVilla5

I think that the term "generic geocoin" is a tongue-in-cheek reference to all the "special" this and "exclusive" that. :D I *also* think that too many people complain about Geocoins not traveling anymore, and I think that these coins are a good answer to that complaint. :D I *ALSO* think that it's a bit snobbish to turn your nose up at these coins just because they are named "generic;" :D they still paid to have them trackable on gc.com, and they are still a good price,

Exactly!!

These came alive through the post awhile back on funny coins.

The idea was posted and a LOT of people posted interest in actually wanting them.

Hence the go ahead in producing them, the decision to make them trackable was made because people wanted them to be an option to the DogTag TBs. (Notice the hole knocked out in the 1.5 inch ones? ;) )

D-man ;)

And Yes! I did have a hand in the design of these.

Edited by gridlox

I think the difficulty is that this isn't truly a generic coin. It's a parody of a generic coin. A true generic coin would be cheaper than every other trackable coin available (although it probably would never be that much cheaper than the USA Geocoin). I'm afraid this one's still a little too expensive to end up widely in caches. At the same time, as a collectible, it's hard to get excited about something that purposely tries to be uninteresting. At least not excited enough to buy a set of three of them. I think it would help if they had a unique icon and were sold separately.

Some of these posts seem to be a bit off topic and should really go here...

Whinning Thread

I can't imaging why anyone would have an issue with this coin. It's priced and designed for cache placement. In all true measures it's more of a geocoin than most of the coins offered here at close to half the going price. All the yipping and nipping brings to mind a herd of Pit Yorkies.

I think the difficulty is that this isn't truly a generic coin. It's a parody of a generic coin. A true generic coin would be cheaper than every other trackable coin available (although it probably would never be that much cheaper than the USA Geocoin). I'm afraid this one's still a little too expensive to end up widely in caches. At the same time, as a collectible, it's hard to get excited about something that purposely tries to be uninteresting. At least not excited enough to buy a set of three of them. I think it would help if they had a unique icon and were sold separately.

<Enter Extreme Sarcasm Mode>

Ooooo!! I got a a truely rare and exciting concept!!

DON"T BUY THEM IF YOU DON"T WANT THEM!! :D

<Exit Extreme Sarcasm Mode>

Seriously, I don't see your beef with these coins.

Even if I hadn't had a hand in the design of them, I would think that these are a cool and novel way to do what they are intended for, a less expensive affordable geocoin made "generic" enough that people wouldn't want them as part of a coin collection, but go back to the original idea of what a geocoin was made for, Traveling from Cache to Cache.

D-man ;)

Edited by gridlox

Since it links direct to the specific coin set this should be just fine:

Generic geocoin set

(eric, if you prefer this to be for 'special' customers I will delete the link on your request)

I've place my reservation for a couple sets. I'm all for low cost coins for travelling (even ones I didn't design ;) yes I have one that should be out soon)

I kind of like the design, I would vote for a barcode icon as well, with the quantities it looks like being made, shouldn't add much at all to the cost when spread out.

I would likely get some more once it isn't required to buy the set and use them as travellers. Even as others have said, as an alternative to TB tags.

I am all for more of these types of coins, so much so that I am part of afew of them that are in the works, and I will even purchase them from others like this one for the variety. I think the more travel coins out there, the less likely they are to be kept. I haven't checked, but I'm sure that alot of the first TBs were kept, but that is much less frequent these days now that so many are out there.

If you are in the game for the fun and adventure, then this is a great addition to the game.

If you are just into coin/icon collecting, then no, this probably isn't of much interest to you (unless it gets a different icon)

I'm in it for the fun, not the coins, though when they travel they are nice addition to the game.

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

Since it links direct to the specific coin set this should be just fine:

Generic geocoin set

(eric, if you prefer this to be for 'special' customers I will delete the link on your request)

I've place my reservation for a couple sets. I'm all for low cost coins for travelling (even ones I didn't design :D yes I have one that should be out soon)

I kind of like the design, I would vote for a barcode icon as well, with the quantities it looks like being made, shouldn't add much at all to the cost when spread out.

I would likely get some more once it isn't required to buy the set and use them as travellers. Even as others have said, as an alternative to TB tags.

I am all for more of these types of coins, so much so that I am part of afew of them that are in the works, and I will even purchase them from others like this one for the variety. I think the more travel coins out there, the less likely they are to be kept. I haven't checked, but I'm sure that alot of the first TBs were kept, but that is much less frequent these days now that so many are out there.

If you are in the game for the fun and adventure, then this is a great addition to the game.

If you are just into coin/icon collecting, then no, this probably isn't of much interest to you (unless it gets a different icon)

I'm in it for the fun, not the coins, though when they travel they are nice addition to the game.

I don't mind you posting the link. ;)

This is really cool. I just found another generic geocoin but even better. GC.com trackable. They are sold in pairs. One travels and one resides in your collection with the same number. At only $4.50 they are a real bargain. Will post photo below.

Yes, those are an alternative. ;) (Also, they aren't $4.50 everywhere, you have to know where to get them if want just one at that price, otherwise they can be as much as $6.50)

What is wrong with having choices?

If you don't like it, don't buy it. No need to rip on it. At least it isn't a $10 coin that has no visible relevance to geocaching at all except for that 'trackable at gc.com' statement. And that will likely NEVER see the inside of a cache because only 500 were made and no one will release it from their collection.

Very few people release geocoins because they get taken, I think primarily because they are so rare and not enough cachers know what they are. An extremely small percentage of cachers ever visit any of these forums, and even less visit this forum to know about geocoins. The more of them, particularly ones that state what they are, out there, the less likely they would be accidentally kept. These coins, and others like them, provide a less expensive way to get geocoins into caches in volume so that cachers can learn about them. And since it lists where to get them, maybe the cacher would buy their own instead of stealing one?

I do hope that the 'standard' coins will not change, even if some others pop up some times for sale.

I love the idea of a generic geocoin!! I hope like AtlantaGal that these will end up in caches across the country. I too will set a few of them free to travel.

:)

I heard that there most likely will be a barcode icon associated with this coin depending on sales.

Anyway, the price is great for putting these out as travelers. I reserved 3 sets.

:D:D

I don't usually post my opinions about coins, ok, once in a while. But I think a generic coin like this should have an unlimited supply, if the 1000 to be minted sell out you should make more. Is that the plan?

There's waaaaay more than 1000 of these! :)

The Limited Editon (Gold Trim coin) will be limited to 1000. The others to my knowledge will not be limited.

People like LE's. They want to know that something they buy wont be available again or if it is not an LE, it is stated up front.

As long as the information is given upfront, I don't see any reason why an LE shouldn't be 1, 100 or 10,000.

If a state does a state coin at 1,000 for one version and 200 for another, both are LEs. One is more LE than the other.

I know of someone who bought a number of one certain coin not knowing upfront they would be 'unlimited'. Now they are stuck with extras for caches :).

1000 Gold LE is just that, limited edition to 1000.

I would think that these are a cool and novel way to do what they are intended for, a less expensive affordable geocoin made "generic" enough that people wouldn't want them as part of a coin collection, but go back to the original idea of what a geocoin was made for, Traveling from Cache to Cache.

D-man :)

You hit the nail on the head, gridlox. I know I'll be setting some free.

<Enter Extreme Sarcasm Mode>

Ooooo!! I got a a truely rare and exciting concept!!

DON"T BUY THEM IF YOU DON"T WANT THEM!! :)

<Exit Extreme Sarcasm Mode>

Seriously, I don't see your beef with these coins.

Even if I hadn't had a hand in the design of them, I would think that these are a cool and novel way to do what they are intended for, a less expensive affordable geocoin made "generic" enough that people wouldn't want them as part of a coin collection, but go back to the original idea of what a geocoin was made for, Traveling from Cache to Cache.

D-man :D

I don't really have a beef with the coins. You just seemed unable to understand in a prior post why they weren't especially well-received. My point was that geocoins mainly have 2 purposes. One is to be circulated in caches. The other is to be a collectible. If people want a cheap geocoin to put in caches, USA Geocoins is still cheaper. If people want a cool coin to put in caches, there have been several available for only a dollar or so more. As a collectible, these are sort of novel and I'd even like to buy one, but not be obligated to get a complete set.

I would think a true generic trackable coin with no color, no frills could be made and sold for under $4. I remember reading the original thread which mentioned generic coins and I think that's what people were really interested in. A really cheap coin that could be put in caches without worrying much about what might become of it.

Edited by Cache-bert

I think they actually look better than the DNF coins. I ordered a few of these but not the DNF coin. The wording on the DNF coin makes no sense.

Unforchantly, not everyone likes the same thing. But I guess it's different taste for different folks and that's what makes the world go round and also what helps sell or not sell coins.

Some people just love the DNF coin and some hate it. Some like this coin and some don't.

No use fighting over it. Just agree to disagree... :)

After reading all the posts about these coins, I decided to order a set. All 3 will be set free in local caches. The small one will go in a great micro I know of and I will use the LE for a FTF prize for a cache I am planning. I will watch these closely to see if they do indeed travel. B):P:P

I bought two sets.
Same here.

Too bad we can't order more then two,

since we live outside of the U.S. of A.

You should be able to order more, just not from USA Geocoins. These will also be sold through geocachingshop.com and geocachingshop.de after March 1st. So you should be able to get as many as you want then.

I think they actually look better than the DNF coins. I ordered a few of these but not the DNF coin. The wording on the DNF coin makes no sense.

Unforchantly, not everyone likes the same thing. But I guess it's different taste for different folks and that's what makes the world go round and also what helps sell or not sell coins.

Some people just love the DNF coin and some hate it. Some like this coin and some don't.

No use fighting over it. Just agree to disagree... :D

What was that all I hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH? :D

Okay, I'm confused (as usual)! I got an e-mail about reserving these a couple of weeks ago, which I did. The e-mail said that I would get an invoice. I haven't gotten one, and I didn't know there were already sold? Did I miss something?

Same here, I was to be invoiced the 27th of Feb, no invoice yet and others have already received their coins. Wassup with that?