Out For Justice Geocoins Available For Pre-order

Geo Gypsy

So the welcome committee is now: welcome to geocoin forums, before you can put out a cache (oops, coin) you must have been a member for 175 1/2 days, have 301 finds and 11 hides. If you put out a coin before that time, you are a money hungry wanna be geocacher.

:)

Forget it.

I'll let this get back on topic.

For those who order - more power to you.

Yes, but the profile says 'just joined' and I believe you keep your stats when you change your name.

In any case, my point is that with the craze of coins it seems that the first thing people do now is create a coin to make some money and I'm a bit tired of seeing coins that have nothing to do with caching.

I'm going into production with me HeeHaw coins next.

First up - Ellie May

For those that buy the whole set, you get the LE Grandma coin free. :)

wow, friendly bunch here eh?

can someone please direct me to the "rules of making a coin" thread, guess I missed it.....

can someone please direct me to the "rules of making a coin" thread, guess I missed it.....

No rules other than those pinned to the top of this forum, but that doesn't mean that the community can't speak up against a coin that it sees as lacking the qualities that make a geocoin a geocoin. I happen to share the same concerns and opinions that kealia and others brings up here. But, as long as people keep buying each and every coin that comes out, we will continue to see more coins like these, and more power to those who capitalize on that.

Yes, but the profile says 'just joined' and I believe you keep your stats when you change your name.

In any case, my point is that with the craze of coins it seems that the first thing people do now is create a coin to make some money and I'm a bit tired of seeing coins that have nothing to do with caching.

First up - Ellie May

For those that buy the whole set, you get the LE Grandma coin free. :P

Isn't Ellie May from the Beverly Hillbillys???? :P

I kinda had to buy it since Joani is related to Wyatt Earp. I may have still bought it anyeway, who knows. :P

--Marky

Nothing personal, Joani B)

Too late............She says she'll meet you behind the O.K. Corral, at 05:00 o'clock sharp............Be there...... B)B):P:P

What day?? :P

No rules other than those pinned to the top of this forum, but that doesn't mean that the community can't speak up against a coin that it sees as lacking the qualities that make a geocoin a geocoin. I happen to share the same concerns and opinions that kealia and others brings up here. But, as long as people keep buying each and every coin that comes out, we will continue to see more coins like these, and more power to those who capitalize on that.

exactly my point, please tell me what makes a geocoin a geocoin? If someone doesn't care for a coin, then don't buy it, that's how you express your likes/dislikes. If those folks don't sell any, they won't continue to create them. Instead, some people just come out bashing. If the "non geocoins" are selling like hotcakes, then the community that is speaking out against them is a minority I guess.

exactly my point, please tell me what makes a geocoin a geocoin?

IMO, it's either a signature item/coin or it's SOMEHOW related to caching more than putting "trackable at Geocaching.com" on it. I'm speaking for myself and don't assume that others feel the same way.

If someone doesn't care for a coin, then don't buy it, that's how you express your likes/dislikes. If those folks don't sell any, they won't continue to create them.
I hope that's the case. I also hope that new folks take this criticism and learn from it.

Instead, some people just come out bashing. If the "non geocoins" are selling like hotcakes, then the community that is speaking out against them is a minority I guess.

When did speaking your mind, providng honest feedback and having an adult conversation become bashing?

Again, to stay ON TOPIC: I don't see any caching relevance so I'm not buying this coin. Everybody else can make thier own decisions.

Can I suggest opening a new thread if you want to continue this discussion so as not to continue taking this one off topic?

I personally think that kealia and moun10bike are justified in their concerns and are more likely(tell me if i'm wrong) concerned about the potential for other geocachers getting ripped off by someone who created an account soley(sp?) for that purpose. Come on lets step back and look at it like this.

Someone:

creates a new account

has 0 hides 0 finds(or even just a couple)

has someone else post to find interest in their coin

designs a coin that doesn't have any connection to geocaching(that most people can see)

sells a coin that they are obviously making a profit on

Conclusion as it seems to me:

A.) some cacher is trying to make a profit off the community without letting us know who they are

B.) some non-cacher has caught on to the coin craze and has the ability to stick it to ALOT of people who are very trusting with their $

I'm not saying that either of these is the actual case but stop and think about it won't you. I think its great that kealia stepped up and is looking out for everyone else.

my .02

I think that people posting to a thread about their lack of interest in a coin is a service to the seller of the coin. If enough people post saying they would not buy then the the number of coin ordered can be adjusted. It helps the seller to not be out a large amount of money and then stuck with a lot of extra coins. I do not think it is bashing anyone, that was not my intent.

I also find it odd that a very new account and person with few or no finds would produce a coin. It does seem a little like the fleecing of the geocoin community especially when a basic coin is sold at higher than average prices.

You can not say it enough......Caveat Emptor

So the welcome committee is now: welcome to geocoin forums, before you can put out a cache (oops, coin) you must have been a member for 175 1/2 days, have 301 finds and 11 hides. If you put out a coin before that time, you are a money hungry wanna be geocacher.

:P

Someone who has 0 finds and just joined has no reason to be making a geocoin. Simple as that. IF they had a decent reason they should have said it themselves, rather than going through someone else in the advertising of their coin. I didn't comment on this coin earlier because everyone knows what my stance on the issue of coins like this is, but this has just taken a turn onto a much more bizarre road. I'm utterly dumbfounded by this new information that has been brought up, and I'm shocked that anyone would support what seems to be someone with no previous experience/knowledge of geocaching making an overpriced, 100% unrelated to caching "geocoin".

I'd be interested to see twinbabies2000 join these forums and explain their coin.

I was wondering if most of these coins that everyone buys are being shipped from the east coast. I live in the west coast and pay $1.67 every month for two coins first class mail from the east coast.

They have joined the forums and posted in this very thread but said nothing about this coin being theirs.

Even more interesting... I had totally missed that.

You guys are better at researching a person on gc.com than I am. I can't find them by caches found or hidden so I'm not sure where to go next to find them. I can't figure out how you're seeing the profile to see the date they joined. If I can't find them then I can't email them about any questions I might have. So I guess we need to keep posting them here.

I hear what you are saying Kelia (and others) about being concerned when someone has no stats and yet is producing a coin. That is one of the reasons the coin club I'm in won't get it. It doesn't meet our qualifications. Actually it doesn't meet two of them. But what's a girl to do when it reminds me of our other hobby that I love equally to geocaching? It pulls on my heart strings. So its a matter of listening to my heart vs. my head in this case. I REALLY LOVE THIS COIN!! It offers a bit of both worlds that I love and that's why I want it. If it were about Ellie May....I wouldn't buy it...I'm not into HeeHaw...though Jethrow is kinda cute :P

Back to questions:

1 - Do you know what the icon will be and can you post it?

2 - Any chance of a second metal?

You guys are better at researching a person on gc.com than I am. I can't find them by caches found or hidden so I'm not sure where to go next to find them. I can't figure out how you're seeing the profile to see the date they joined. If I can't find them then I can't email them about any questions I might have. So I guess we need to keep posting them here.

As noted above, they did post here in this thread. Just click on their name in that post and it takes you to their profile.

We usually stay away from threads like this but this is absurd. We can't believe this is being passed off as a geocoin. Someone asked what makes a geocoin a geocoin? The answer is obvious, a Geocaching related theme ( GEOcaching + COIN = GEOCOIN ). This is not a geocoin, the fact that you add "trackable at gc.com" does not make it one. I like the movie Tombstone and the coin has a nice design, but maybe it should be posted on some Hollywood movie forum somewhere, not here. Either that or look for our Miami Dolphins "geocoin" in the near future.

Edited by The 4 F's

I was wondering if most of these coins that everyone buys are being shipped from the east coast. I live in the west coast and pay $1.67 every month for two coins first class mail from the east coast.

They have joined the forums and posted in this very thread but said nothing about this coin being theirs.

Even more interesting... I had totally missed that.

Yes, it is very interesting that they are basically questioning the shipping costs of their own coin.

I will certainly pass on this one for numerous reasons.

I would be more affraid of somebody with 0 findes and a few days old to geocaching coming in here saying they are making a coin and then taking off with our money. How would we ever find them, "throw the book at them", and then get our money back?

I also think you should have findes before making a coin, I mean what the hell do you know about geocaching if you 1. just joined and 2. never found anything to see what's it's like.

I will have to think about this coin now.

One other point...

Did Geocaching.com approve the coin??? It clearly states that all trackable coins must be approved by Geocaching.com. If they approved it, it is a "GEOCOIN".

Although I will pass as I have some concerns as well..

Groundspeak most likely approves coins if they aren't offensive. I doubt they bother checking to see if the people making the coin are legit.

First up - Ellie May

For those that buy the whole set, you get the LE Grandma coin free. :)

I really think it should start with Junior Samples. Everybody loves Junior Samples. On the reverse it could say "I'm a-caching and I'm a-grinning"

CHS1002a.jpg

We usually stay away from threads like this but this is absurd. We can't believe this is being passed off as a geocoin. Someone asked what makes a geocoin a geocoin? The answer is obvious, a Geocaching related theme ( GEOcaching + COIN = GEOCOIN ). This is not a geocoin, the fact that you add "trackable at gc.com" does not make it one. I like the movie Tombstone and the coin has a nice design, but maybe it should be posted on some Hollywood movie forum somewhere, not here. Either that or look for our Miami Dolphins "geocoin" in the near future.

I can't stay away from this and agree. I'm new at this and want a geocoin produced to mark my first cache, trade and place some in cache finds. Basically break even at Best. I probably spent more on paper then it would have cost to make the die. :) In all seriousness, I'm taking my time with my design efforts to truely come up coin that is worthy of geocaching and my sometimes bizarre interests.

Call me at BR549

Had to add that in

Edited by 2B Amazed

I personally think that kealia and moun10bike are justified in their concerns and are more likely(tell me if i'm wrong) concerned about the potential for other geocachers getting ripped off by someone who created an account soley(sp?) for that purpose. Come on lets step back and look at it like this.

Someone:

creates a new account

has 0 hides 0 finds(or even just a couple)

has someone else post to find interest in their coin

designs a coin that doesn't have any connection to geocaching(that most people can see)

sells a coin that they are obviously making a profit on

Conclusion as it seems to me:

A.) some cacher is trying to make a profit off the community without letting us know who they are

B.) some non-cacher has caught on to the coin craze and has the ability to stick it to ALOT of people who are very trusting with their $

I'm not saying that either of these is the actual case but stop and think about it won't you. I think its great that kealia stepped up and is looking out for everyone else.

my .02

Well I guess they could "throw" an ammo can on there somewhere and it would be a geocaching geocoin, correct? Isn't that what Indiana did?

Greetings,

I don't want to stir things up here, but I had place a pre-order for this coin a couple of days ago. The email was sent to geo-gypsy.

I just got the PayPal invoice from twinbabies2000@hotmail.com and Hotmail tells me that this is possibly a spammers email address because they could not verify the senders id.

I have cancelled my order and suggest that other people be very careful...I am pretty new to this game, and appreciate everyone's comments on this board!

Vegas Librarian

Edited by Vegas Librarian

Well I guess they could "throw" an ammo can on there somewhere and it would be a geocaching geocoin, correct? Isn't that what Indiana did?

or just add the words geocaching.com like "The Civil War" coins. I can think of at least 5 just released coins that have nothing to do with caching and have sold out. I think we should now refer to these new generic type coins as collector coins and not geocoins.

It clearly states that all trackable coins must be approved by Geocaching.com. If they approved it, it is a "GEOCOIN".

You'd call something a geocoin just because Groundspeak got their cash for it???? :) Ever think that Groundspeak isn't always right?

I think we should now refer to these new generic type coins as collector coins and not geocoins.

My favorite term for them is wannabe coins. :anibad:

I'd like to see a geocacher's nick added to this coin. I also don't think any money should be taken for the coin until some of these concerns are addressed.

I simply cancelled my invoice and paid through the coin tracking site.

Did you get any additional information that you can share? Are they going to add their name to the coin?

Thanks!

I've been watching and reading the different postings on this coin since it first came out, and I find it odd that the actual owner or person trying to sell this coin has not come out and announced their own coin for sale or at least given an explanation as to why they had the coin made in the first place.

All we have so far, is Geo Gypsy saying she is talking for the other person, who is sitting in the background hidding behind an account that seems to have been created for the sole purpose of posting this coin for sale.

Others are starting to get nervous over the fact that they seem to be getting spamming e-mail warnings with their paypal.

Usually, the coins sold here are sold by people we have heard about, even if it was only through their nickname. At least we knew it was someone who was a regular on the forum and not someone just passing through trying to profit from the hype.

All I'm trying to say is, it would be nice for the actual person selling this coin to come out and chat and offer some sort of explanation as to why, all of a sudden, he or she decides to come out with this coin, instead of hiding in the shadows and remaining silent over this issue.

As one other new account has posted that they are wanting to create a geocoin, I want to clarify some of my thoughts on this topic.

I welcome ANY member to create a personal signature coin, even if you only just found this game. I don't care if you haven't even found your first cache.

BUT do NOT expect to be able to sell it first and have the collectors pay for it in advance. I actually will very rarely purchase any personal coin for various reasons.

Yes, it is not cheap to have a coin made, but you can easily do 100 for under $500, trackable for under $650 if you shop around. There are plenty of coin makers that are listed in the pinned welcome topics that will do it for those prices.

I don't really see why personal coins are sold, it certainly makes them less personal to me. I also don't see much need for personal coins to be trackable as I believe they were meant to be signature items. But I seem to be in the minority on both those opinions.

I also wish that geocoins would get back to being either personal, geocaching relevant, or not limited so they can be travellers. Otherwise as others have said, they aren't really geocoins, they are Collectors coins.

If your new coin doesn't fit into one of those categories, prepare for it to be a total flop when it comes to sales. I forsee the day coming when even the current gotta-have-them-all collectors start rejecting coins because they have no relevance beyond being trackable.

I think it takes abit more than just putting an ammo can on a non-personal coin to make it relevant as well. I do fully accept organization coins, and ones honoring a geocache (even an archived one) or geocacher as geocoins.

You'd call something a geocoin just because Groundspeak got their cash for it???? :) Ever think that Groundspeak isn't always right?

Heresy! :anibad:

When a cache is submitted by a newbie, the approvers will generally scrutinize it until the newbie has enough hides, or will at least ask questions to verify they hider knows what they are doing. It might be nice if Groundspeak asked some similar basic questions before approving of a coin.

After all, Groundspeak's name is on the coin, and if it turns out to be fraud, they may be somewhat accountable (at least it would give them some bad press.) Even if it's not a fraud and turns out to be some non-cacher just out to make a buck, I don't think it's good for Groundspeak's image either.

I'm planning on making the alphabet animal series geocoins. There are going to be 52 of them (a coin for each letter in the alphabet for both upper and lower case.) Speaking of 52, I also plan on making the "cards in a deck" series. Slap that trackable at geocaching.com label on it, and it's a geocoin!

If I had to make a guess, I'd say this coin is indeed Geo-Gypsys and the negative comments in this thread upset her to the point that she created a shell account to redirect the flames. Just a speculation, but that's how I see it at this point.

Who is Wendy? Is that Geo-Gypsy or twinbabies? The link to the coin has Wendy in the URL, so it was produced for Wendy.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say this coin is indeed Geo-Gypsys and the negative comments in this thread upset her to the point that she created a shell account to redirect the flames. Just a speculation, but that's how I see it at this point.

That seems like a reasonable explaination, but that was not the right thing to do. She still is taking the brunt of the flames since she is the name associated with the coin and the person on the forums. And now on top of all the other stuff she has to deal with all the posts about the possible coin creating sock puppet account. She has gone from the frying pan into the fire.

It would be best at this point for either Geo-Gypsys or TwinBabies2000 to come here and clear the air.

That is my opinion.

I kinda had to buy it since Joani is related to Wyatt Earp. I may have still bought it anyeway, who knows. :)

--Marky

Nothing personal, Joani :)

Too late............She says she'll meet you behind the O.K. Corral, at 05:00 o'clock sharp............Be there...... :):):anibad::ph34r:

should the time be high noon?

PofSAM with all due respect, would YOU want to come here and clear the air in all of this? I know I sure as heck wouldn't!

The bottom line is the coin is selling well through coin tracking. If you don't like the coin, or have concerns that a private email to the seller won't solve, then simply do not buy and move along and attempt to trade someone for the coin after they're delivered.

AG,

Has your money been refunded for this coin?

To be perfectly honest I have no intention of trying to trade for this coin. Unless the true creator comes forward and provides an explanation, this coin is “radioactive” in my opinion. If our assumptions are true, then this coin would only represent deception and greed. These are NOT qualities that I have found to be common amongst Geocachers. I hope there is indeed a reasonable explanation. Until then, I must concur with AG’s theory on the matter.

PofSAM with all due respect, would YOU want to come here and clear the air in all of this? I know I sure as heck wouldn't!

The bottom line is the coin is selling well through coin tracking. If you don't like the coin, or have concerns that a private email to the seller won't solve, then simply do not buy and move along and attempt to trade someone for the coin after they're delivered.

Would I want to NO way! But I probably would come clean anyways to save face. :)