How To Upload Geocache Waypoints To Magellan 600

I prefer GSAK and many other people here do also for pocket queries/waypoint management. It easily creates the .gs geocache and .upt regular waypoint files. When creating the geocache file, I use %code for the Geocache ID, and %smart=20 for the cache name. You can put other special tags with the name since there are 20 characters to work with. The cache name will show on the map page. In the search area you can toggle between cache name or GC code.

I second eScout's endorsement of GSAK as the best way to manage caches their transfer to your explorist. However, you should be able to get something over with the Geocache Manager. You say the file name is there...is there anything in it (when you make it the active Geocache file in active setup, do you see anything on the map screen)?

Another check: when you hook up your 600 in data transfer mode to the PC and Windows Explorer opens a window with the GPSr/SD card as an external hard drive, take a look at your geocache file's properties...is there any size to it? If so, there must be something in there.

I agree too GSAK is much better and Magellan Geocache Manager is pretty much worthless. Here's how I do it with GSAK:

1. select the caches to export

2. "export to explorist" = create a 'batch file' on your HD with all the selected caches in a file such as "YourArea.gs".

3. with e600 in file transfer mode and Conversion Manager, upload the YourArea.gs file to the Geocache folder of the internal memory (not sure if it works on the SD card).

Then, when you go in that folder you should see see the "YourArea" file, select it, push Enter and it should display the caches.

I second eScout's endorsement of GSAK as the best way to manage caches their transfer to your explorist. However, you should be able to get something over with the Geocache Manager. You say the file name is there...is there anything in it (when you make it the active Geocache file in active setup, do you see anything on the map screen)?

Another check: when you hook up your 600 in data transfer mode to the PC and Windows Explorer opens a window with the GPSr/SD card as an external hard drive, take a look at your geocache file's properties...is there any size to it? If so, there must be something in there.

I tried GSAK and it uploads the waypoints to the GPSr just fine and I can read and access all of the files. When I use the Geocache Manager to upload the files all I can see is the main file name. I looked at the file using windows explorer and the file does indeed have some size to it (24 KB) and it seems to be in the correct format (geocache.gs). I just can't get the GPSr to show any individual files.

I tried GSAK and it uploads the waypoints to the GPSr just fine and I can read and access all of the files. When I use the Geocache Manager to upload the files all I can see is the main file name. I looked at the file using windows explorer and the file does indeed have some size to it (24 KB) and it seems to be in the correct format (geocache.gs). I just can't get the GPSr to show any individual files.

I'm going from memory here, but you need to go to menu/preferences/active setup and then make your file the active geocache file. Then its contents should display on the map screen.

I'm going from memory here, but you need to go to menu/preferences/active setup and then make your file the active geocache file. Then its contents should display on the map screen.

Yes, I tried that at it looks like the files uploaded with geocache manager are corrupt. It works with GSAK. The only problem I have with using GSAK is it seems to be overly complex. Thanks for the help.

Thanks, everyone for your input, however there are many more problems with this unit other than not accepting downloads from the PC. It shuts down when I switch from the compass screen to the map screen. This happens about every other time. The compass has no idea which way is north. It doesn’t point correctly to the POI or Geocache. I tried calibrating the compass several times but it always fails, giving me a message that I am rotating it too slow. I am just keeping the needle pointed to me like the instructions say. Magellan’s tech support was less than helpful and a little insulting. I won’t deal with them again! I am sending this unit back to the retailer and plan on getting a Garmin GPSr. Thanks again for your help.

UncleFester98

Dear Fester,

I see your a local. I had to recalibate my 600 once I got it with the help from Tech support. All upload with Geo Mgr work fine as well as GSAK. If you still have the unit prepare to reset everything. From the map, click Right, Left, Right, Left with the joystick. A small box should pop up. Type in 21 for re-cailbrating the compass and 22 for the temp screen. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Let me know if this helps.