Extra Waypoints In Pq's

TheAprilFools

While I think the adding extra waypoints to a cache is a great idea I was wondering if it was possible to add a bit more control to when they are included in a PQ. My suggestion would be to add a three level switch to the PQ that would have as its options:

1) For all caches.

2) For all active, unfound, unowned caches.

3) For none.

I usually download PQ's for all caches in my area (I want my caches and the disabled caches so I can map out area's where caches can be placed). You can pretty easily filter the caches when generating a list of caches to find, but its harder to filter out the extra waypoints.

True they are in a separate file, but there is nothing in the GPX file for the extra waypoints indicating who the owner is, if they had been found or if they are available.

Right now I have a bunch of PQ's I run that get all the caches in my local area, including those that I have found and those that are disabled, which I load into GSAK and then filter to select the specific area I intend to go caching in. Right now all of the extra waypoints are showing up, including those that for caches that have been found or disabled.

Sure I could setup separate PQ's for the unfound, the found and the disabled and I did that for a while but ended up requiring me to rework the queries every couple weeks and became too much of a hassle.

Sure I could setup separate PQ's for the unfound, the found and the disabled and I did that for a while but ended up requiring me to rework the queries every couple weeks and became too much of a hassle.

I don't understand what you have to rework, since those 3 selections are available with PQs...unless it is managing the "placed by" dates to get all caches in a large area.

But in any case, Clyde is working on enhancing GSAK to store the additional waypoints along with the cache, so you can choose whether they get sent to your GPS (for instance) based on the cache characteristics.

More details can be found at

http://gsak.net/board/index.php

Edited by beejay&esskay

True they are in a separate file, but there is nothing in the GPX file for the extra waypoints indicating who the owner is, if they had been found or if they are available.

Right now I have a bunch of PQ's I run that get all the caches in my local area, including those that I have found and those that are disabled, which I load into GSAK and then filter to select the specific area I intend to go caching in. Right now all of the extra waypoints are showing up, including those that for caches that have been found or disabled.

In he newest version of GSAK(6.5.2), when you load the PQ file there is a box to load or ignore the new extra waypoints.

P.S. The cache way out by the bridge is missing. I rode all the way out there and couldn't find it.They disabled it today.

Edited by Wacka

I don't understand what you have to rework, since those 3 selections are available with PQs...unless it is managing the "placed by" dates to get all caches in a large area.

Yes this is exactly what I am doing, a series of nearly identical PQ's differing by placement date. In the queries for unfound caches as older caches were disabled, archived or found the queries for the older caches would empty out and every so often I would have to shuffle the place by dates around to get them to fit. Finally I recreated all the queries so that they found all caches, and the number of caches in the queries is much more stable, all I need to do is add new queries when the PQ for the most recently placed caches fills up.

But in any case, Clyde is working on enhancing GSAK to store the additional waypoints along with the cache, so you can choose whether they get sent to your GPS (for instance) based on the cache characteristics.

This sounds like it will be the ultimate solution.

In he newest version of GSAK(6.5.2), when you load the PQ file there is a box to load or ignore the new extra waypoints.

This is fine except that it excludes all the extra waypoints, I only want to include unfound active caches and exclude the others.

This is fine except that it excludes all the extra waypoints, I only want to include unfound active caches and exclude the others.

Can't you do that on the PQ filter instead of the GSAK filter?

As Markwell said, this can be done with your PQ setup...

17590f4e-5849-423b-8a65-21c53a6c350d.jpg