Sloquet / Skookumchuck Caching Expedition

BC Tripper

Hi all!

I just thought that I would post a little note here and let BC geocachers know that this weekend we will be embarking on a caching expedition. Stops will include Kaiyama petroglyph, Sloquet Hot Springs and Skookumchuck Hotsprings. There is also a cache at Wood Lake on the way that I've done, but would gladly do again. We're located in Vancouver so if anyone around town would like to join us, let me know!

Itenerary:

Friday: 12:00am - leave vancouver - camp @ 20 mile bay on Harrison Lake

Saturday: Wood Lake, Kaiyama Petroglyph & Sloquet Hot springs - camp @ sloquet

Sunday - Skookumchuck Hot Springs & return to Vancouver.

BC Tripper

We'll probably be at 20 Mile by 3ish :mellow: So you could join us for an early breakfast if you wanted :ph34r: The "we" is myself, the cheebz, a half muggle as well as my dog. Perhaps a few other muggle types as well if we can, we'd like to make a convoy. The hook to this trip is we'll all get to log FTF's on the skookumchuck hot springs earth cache. :ph34r:

BC Tripper

Chances are that we'll be out of bed at 8ish, have breakfast, then head to Doctor's Point where the petroglyph is located. I've never seen it myself, and have no idea where the access is etc. However I would most likely spend an hour or so looking for it once in the area. Assuming we find it, we'd have lunch there, then head straight for the springs. I would estimate our arrival at 3ish at the latest. Also, we'd be past the Wood Lake cache (Artist's View) by the time we hit 20mile bay for the night, so if you wanted to look for that cache you'd have to do it either before the rendezvous, or on our way back from the springs. Hope you can make it! :)

BC Tripper :D

Barring a broken truck, I'll be there. Unfortunately my wife won't be able to make it but i'll have my 8 yr old boy with me and one of his friends.

Then there will be a muggle friend with his dog and probably a pasenger.

I figure we can be on the beach at 20 mile by about 1530-ish. Apparently friday is PD day at school which means we'll be able to leave earlier than first thought.

Saturday will see another vehicle arrive/catch-up with 2 bodies (half muggles) and a small dog with a possible second in behind. By the sound of it they'll be catching up somewhere around doctor's point.

Is there a waypoint for the petroglyphs handy that I could pass on to him?

I don't recall anymore what the trip is like up to Pemberton and back around through Whistler but i'm thinking it would probably be easier/faster to come back sunday that way, no? Seeing as how we're that far up the lake anyway...and hitting skookum too...otherwise it'd probably be 6+ hours coming back the way we went in...

Also, somewhere around 55km up Harrison west a bridge was washed out...just past Doctor's point...Bremerton creek i think. This was about a year ago now. Although there was a goat trail heading down towards the lake, i never gave it a try, but i've heard that you can use it to cross the creek and get back up to the road on the other side....Not sure if you know anything different or not but it'll be worth the trip just to get past that one :P

Depending on our timing, we may or may not stop at wood lake and/or hale creek.

Looking forward to this trip suddenly. :P

Edited by Deneye

That sounds great. We're hoping to have at least one other truck with us, but we'll see. As far as the road conditions go, we made it up to Port Douglas in November, and were at Sloquet on January 1 this year. There was a small wash out close to the logging camp, but it wasn't a bridge and we didn't even need the 4low to get by. I myself have never been up to the Skookumchuck springs, and I'm not familiar with the road past that point. However, one muggle who might come with us has been recently. We've asked him and the road seems to be ok. The Squamish Forest district website indicates that the road is passable, with only minor rockfall at the 1km mark coming from Pemberton. FYI, it's called the In-Shuck-In FSR if you want to take a look at their sight. And yes, I agree with you that the best way out is up :D Weather forcast for Pemberton, Agassiz, and Squamish is in the clear. Although its going to be a cold one. Nighttime low is estimated -9 for one of the days. I've got absolutely no info on the petroglyph at all :D However it's in the Southwestern BC Backroad Mapbook at about the 50-55km mark. There's a red star on the map at roughly Doctor's point. That's the best I can do for now, I'm contacting one of my archaeology proffesors to see if he has more info. I'll keep you posted.

BC Tripper

I know the one's you're talking about. I didn't get to find them the last time I was there..Maybe it'll make a good campfire story :huh:

If we find them, are you interested in placing a cache nearby? I have a camo-painted 5-gallon pail kicking around with a few camping-themed goodies inside which I had planned on putting somewhere up by sunrise lake but instead could be planted up by the glyphs instead. (that is to say, if you already planned and created a cache, no problem, but the pail is still available :ph34r: )

Edited by Deneye

The intention is to place a cache somewhere in the vicinty yes. I've got a replacement cache that's ready to go for sloquet, but not one for the glyphs yet. I think it would be a neat idea to place a cache there so by all means, bring the pail :huh: BTW. I've got to replace the Sloquet cache, but when I do, you guys will get that FTF as well ;). So you know, we'll be the truckload that arrives via a black Jimmy 4x4. (not that its likel;y anyone else will show up at 3am :ph34r:)

Doctor's Point - there is an access road, two actually, I have been down there, but *not* in my Suzuki... you will need lockers or much clearance and determination...

What caches are out that way? I'm going to have to look that up.

I'd go, but my X-90 won't make it up Sloquet stock...

Hi Zuuk,

Yep, there is my cache @ Sloquet and one at Wood Lake called "An Artists View". We plan to place a cache at Doctor's Point should we find the petroglyphs, and then we will continue up to Skookumchuck Hot Springs where there is an Earthcache that has yet to be logged. Then we continue on up the In-shuck-in FSR to Pemberton and back to Vancouver (at least for me) I've got several caches flagged in whistler/squamish along the 99 for on the way back. Also, we're gonna attempt your "gnullify" cache on the way out from Burnaby. My car is leaving rather late on Friday night, but you might contact Deneye as he's coming up as well. I will say though that I only have a stock Jimmy 4x4 and we've been up to the springs a few times. I wonder what the difference in clearence is on our vehicles because we didn't even have any "close calls"...

BC Tripper