When Do I Approach The Holder Of My Coin?

Team Hemisphere Dancer

I was given a Geocoin by someone I met through geocaching. The terms of the gift were to put it out into the world and let it travel. So I did. The day after I put it out it was picked up by another cacher and logged it as a find. They have had it now for 3 weeks and I am getting a bit nervous about it dissapearing forever.

Looking at the profile of the folks that picked it up I don't beleive that they intend to steal it but may just be sitting on it. How much time should I allow before I contact them and how would I approach them while still being polite about it?

Maybe I am just a nervous newbie, but the coin is really cool and would like for it to travel around quite a bit.

I generally email people after two weeks and say:

"Hey how is it going? I am the owner of TB/Coin X. I usually send people an email after they have had my travelers for over two weeks just to make sure they still have the item. No rush, just wanted to make sure it will make its way back to a cache. Thanks, see you on the trails."

Thats a really good way to put it. I know that I was just holding on to a coin for way to long and finally got it back out there yesterday! Sometimes things just happen and people need a polite nudge ;)

The last time I responded it was taken way out of context so I will attempt this again.

geocaching.com policy is 14 days......if it is that important I do not think sending a friendly remnider is out of context at all......

at least at that point they can acknowlege therere intent......

At that point after another 3-4 weeks email them again and go from there.......

Now the sad part of this is that it is a geocoin and the odds are it will wind up missing and you probably will not even know who took it......

Hopefully it has a long life........I like to see geocoins in the field......

I generally email people after two weeks and say:

"Hey how is it going? I am the owner of TB/Coin X. I usually send people an email after they have had my travelers for over two weeks just to make sure they still have the item. No rush, just wanted to make sure it will make its way back to a cache. Thanks, see you on the trails."

I aggree after two weeks I might send them a polite "how is it going" message such as this one. It never ever pays to be less than curtious. Your message should always assume they have a good reason for not dropping it. If you adgiatate them in any way you are only gonna minimize the chances of your bug getting logged any time soon. Who knows they could log it into a cache online then drop it in the trash can.

So even after six months you still want to have the same tone, "hows it going.... just wondering the status of my travel bug........." etc

How courteous should I be after a year? The only two coins I placed have been MIA that long, and I know one of them was logged as being picked up.

I would send them an email like GeoHills words it:

After about a month, I send them an e-mail that says:

Thou Shall Not Steal

It seems to get the coin moving. :mellow:

It can't be anymore stolen than a year out of circulation, so you really have nothing to lose if that pisses them off.

I've had MANY TB's kept by other cachers for 2-3 months before releasing them back into the wild so I would let it go for much more than three weeks.

Remember that not everyone gets out caching every weekend. The last time I picked up a coin I had it for about a month because I wanted to make sure I put it back into a cache that was "worthy" of a geocoin.

I would check out the holders GC.com profile and see whether they had been caching again since the day they picked up your coin. Some people only manage a trip every once in a while so it is not unusual for them to hold on to items for a month or so. Others go every weekend so the turnaround should be much faster. I had a TB held up for several months as the holder became ill.

If they have logged caches since the pick up them some of the emails above would be in order but bear in mind that they may genuinely be waiting for a suitable cache for your coin rather than leaving it just anywhere. If they have logged the pickup I would imaging it is unlikely they would be blatent enough to keep the coin intentionally.