New Garmin Legend Cx Or Any New Garmin X

misteraceman

Browsing the literature on the new x series of Garmin units talks about the new memory card. I just want to know if it is a "Garmin" card or a Secure Digital Card. In other words, can you use any SD card in the unit or does it have to be a "priority" Garmin Card which appear to be sold in 128 mb and I think it was 256 mb.

Browsing the literature on the new x series of Garmin units talks about the new memory card. I just want to know if it is a "Garmin" card or a Secure Digital Card. In other words, can you use any SD card in the unit or does it have to be a "priority" Garmin Card which appear to be sold in 128 mb and I think it was 256 mb.

It is a "Micro SD" card. It is not a proprietary card. AFAIK the biggest available are 512 mb, but 1 and 2 gig cards are supposed to be forthcoming.

It is a "Micro SD" card. It is not a proprietary card. AFAIK the biggest available are 512 mb, but 1 and 2 gig cards are supposed to be forthcoming.

I don't want to belabour the point, but what is a "micro SD card". I have SD cards in my Palm Pilot and in my Magellan Gold Meridian and in my MP3 player. Will these work? If not, then I have never seen a "micro SD card anywhere" and don't know what it is, and I was out looking today and there are SD cards in 128, 256, 512, 1 gig and I hear 2 gi but nobody knows what "micro SD cards" are.

Those cards will not work in the x series. The Garmin x units take a smaller SD card, variously called a Mini SD, Micro SD, TransFlash or T-Flash card. You can find out about them here, but the linked site is in New Zealand, and I am not suggesting you buy from them.

Edit: Dang it, NG. I should have thought about Wikipedia.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I don't want to belabour the point, but what is a "micro SD card". I have SD cards in my Palm Pilot and in my Magellan Gold Meridian and in my MP3 player. Will these work? If not, then I have never seen a "micro SD card anywhere" and don't know what it is, and I was out looking today and there are SD cards in 128, 256, 512, 1 gig and I hear 2 gi but nobody knows what "micro SD cards" are.

A "micro SD card" is about the size of a fingernail and they are not the same as the SD cards you already have in your Palm Pilot or MP3 player. I have not seen any for sale locally but they are avaliable online; the largest I have seen is 512 MB but I have heard that 1 GB are on the way.