Extra Waypoints

that works if everyone is following that formula.....& there not

The four-character suffix - which associates an added waypoint with the correct cache - is added automatically. A cache owner has no way of changing it, as far as I can tell.

Can you give an example of a cache (with waypoints) where this didn't work? If there's a fault in the software, then TPTB would need to be made aware of it.

-Wlw

The additional waypoints are very useful if you do a little bit of renaming. For example, if cache GCABCD has two additional waypoints named PX and PY by the cache author, their IDs will be PXABCD and PYABCD. I use a filter to read the gpx file and then do a bit of renaming as follows.

Cache names have the "GC" prefix removed.

Additional waypoints have their prefix moved to the back, (e.g.PXABCD becomes ABCDPX)

Why do all of this.

When loaded onto a GPSr, they appear together as a block.

ABCD

ABCDPX

ABCDPY

All caches appear next to their additional waypoints and nothing gets mixed up. The length difference means it's easy to tell caches and additional waypoints apart. All letters of the alphabet get used instead of everything collecting under "G"

We have written the GC code and cache name into the long and short description fields for all of our caches. This makes them very easy to spot without using the 4 code suffix to search.

Like this

Additional Waypoints [Add/Edit] Prefix Lookup Name Coordinate

AA YEAR GCKQP9 Let Battle Commence A= (Question to Answer) N 52° 44.806 W 002° 43.889 Edit

GCKQP9 Let Battle commence.

Find the year the battle took place this will give you A

A= _ _ _ _

The code assigned to this is AAKQP9

As for managing these waypoints we have them in a separate database at present waiting for GSAK to catch up.

From a personal viewpoint, I've disabled GSAK from loading them.......

The waypoint which is of most interest to me, and probably most cachers, is the suggested parking, but if the waypoint is called " parking" , its about as much use as tits on a bull......it just fills the GSAK database with meaningless waypoints.

If everyone adopted the convention of calling the waypoint

"cache-name" parking

then it would be a real benefit......

Problem with the new waypoints is that GSAK at present has no separate table for these, so the data gets mixed with the main data set.

I would have put them in a separate table with a join across the tables, to link the records to the correct cache. I think it would be easy to do and they are identifiable through the file having the addition of wpt within the file name, so import routines could use that for the distinguishing mark on import. Then some clever Macro could link records.

It's really not that difficult to handle the extra waypoints.... ;) After loading the PQs into my 'All UK' database, a simple macro filters the 'other waypoints' and moves them to a second 'Other Waypoints' database. If you want all the extra waypoints associated with a particular cache, for example GCABCD, just select the 'Other Waypoints' database and type 'ABCD' in the code search field. Any waypoints associated with that cache are filtered for your perusal. If you don't mind the extra points being in your main database, then forget the moving bit, just type 'ABCD' in the code search field, the cache and the waypoints are filtered.

Seems to me that being able to put the parking places into Tom Tom would be very useful, but just the parking not the other extra waypoints.

At present I am using the following method but I am sure that you clever people will have a better solution.

Import gpx file into Memory Map

Hide all the non parking waypoints

export to another gpx file

convert to ov2 file using poiconverter

The major problem with this is that it does not convert the names. I can't find a way with GSAK to convert just the parking places.

Any ideas chaps (and chapesses)

Seems to me that being able to put the parking places into Tom Tom would be very useful, but just the parking not the other extra waypoints.

Have wrestled with add wps naming, decided on sequential unique names, based on cache location so all appear together in gpsr database. Until GC.com provide hard and fast rules ......

names eg CON01 CON02 CON03 CON04 etc

Can't see a consensus here. will wait for a few more threads to draw up guidelines :-)

I use the Tools/Grab coordinates feature of GSAK, which does much the same thing, but leaves me to choose which extra waypoints I display and which not. This feature adds an 01, 02 etc to the GC code - depending on the number you grab.

When I download them to my Palm and GPS I strip off the GC code, and that leaves them nicely in sequence on my GPS (which can only handle 6 characters - hence I have to remove the GC part of the waypoint).

After all, what is the use to me of extra waypoints of a cache that I am unlikely to visit?

At present I am using the following method but I am sure that you clever people will have a better solution.

Import gpx file into Memory Map

Hide all the non parking waypoints

export to another gpx file

convert to ov2 file using poiconverter

The major problem with this is that it does not convert the names. I can't find a way with GSAK to convert just the parking places.

Once you have filtered to get just the parking waypoints, why not use GSAK to export to the OV2 file directly?

I think they are great now that GSAK has caught up with them.

You can now set icons on the GPS depending on what the child waypoint is for. For example all the parking co-ordinates are now automatically programmed into my GPS with the correct icon.

This works for me because this I used to program in the parking manually and go to the next nearest until I have used all the co-ordinates I have programmed or I have had enough of walking that day.

This seems to work for me anyway.

So these days I tend to visit caches with the parking co-ordinates as child waypoints first. As these is no manual process involved on my part.

I have also started going through my old caches and adding in the child waypoints for multi’s and parking. It will be great when all caches have them, saves loads of time at home looking at maps etc :unsure: .

See ya…Gary

One point that it has made is to my PQ request, my gps only takes 500 waypoints, my PQ's run at 450, this used to give me some space for any "work in the field" of 50.

Because of the new waypoints, (and some of them are useful) i have to delete some of them off as i have had as many as 130 extra waypoints!!! :D