How To Build/mark Roads And Trails?

TrpD345

So far ya'll have been a huge help in my new adventures with a GPSr. I am wanting to know the best way to mark trails, such as 4-wheeler trails , and certain roads that are not listed on maps. I want to mark 4-wheeler trails and hunting locations and be able to print them out. I work as a State Trooper in NC and would like to have as detailed a map as possible of the area I work, including little country paths that are not on maps. I have a 60CS. I have read in my book that it will store 20 saved tracks? I have MapSource and EnRoute on my lap top in my car to use while I am driving. I have found out how to save trails/roads on MapSource, but is there a way to change them into a smooth line and possibly color them? I would like to change them from the connected dots that are displayed as tracks and have the names to show up. Is there away to mark more than 20 trails at one time with only the handheld? I guess I am looking for some sort of Map Building info? I could not use the search feature on the forum to find anythng. Also, is there a way to select which tracks or waypoints that you send to the MapSource pragram from the GPSr? Thanks for the help! I am sure I will have more questions, so please be patient.

The Natl Geographic "Topo" State Series program or "Expert GPS" by Topografix are two programs that will let you do exactly what you want. You can go to their websites for examples. Those two have the most detailed maps that I'm aware of, and are easy to work with. Their maps are the USGS 7.5 min quads.

With the latest Mapsource update version you can change colors etc but you still see the connected dots and the maps are not the best/detailed.

Unless someone else knows how to do more,I believe the most you can map with the "handheld only" at one time are the 20 saved tracks plus the "active tracklog" so 21 actually.

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I was looking for. I am sure that 21 tracks is all I will need from the hand held. So I can actually build trails and roads from Expert GPS. Will Easy GPS work? Thanks!

I usually use USAPhotoMaps ( http://jdmcox.com ) for creating tracks of hiking trails based on the displayed aerial photos and USGS 1:24000 maps. The aerial views are more current so they're good for checking if the trail indicated on the USGS map is still in the same location. OTOH, the trails can be hard to see in the aerial views in places with lots of tree cover. So it's nice to be able to toggle back and forth while tracing the trail.

Note that if you ever want to go beyond the limitations of the 20 saved tracklogs then there are ways to create your own Garmin-compatible real maps, complete with multiple line types, associated names, POIs, etc. See

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

for details and links to obtain appropriate software tools.

No on the Easy GPS.

Do the Free Trial download on the Expert GPS. It's fully functional for the trial period then you can decide if you want to pay for it (you will) or uninstall it and try something else.

It also has aerial photos that you can switch back and forth between Topos and APs. Waypoints and Tracks etc that you download are automatically shown on both.

Sometimes you can see a faint road on the AP that is not shown on the Topo.

Thanks Grasscatcher! One more question........if I already have alot saved onto MapSource, can I import all of that to ExpertGps?

If you export the MapSource tracks in .gpx format then you can import that directly into USAPhotoMaps and I believe into ExpertGPS as well (but for more $$).

Peter is correct for also suggesting USA Photomaps. It is also an excellent program that has both Topos and APs.

Since Mapsource, USAP, and Expert GPS are all compatible with the GPX file format, data can be easily exchanged between any and all.

Try each one and see which one (or more) best fits what you want to do.

One may have better maps, another may have better data manipulation preferences.

USAP is free and EGPS has the free trial then is $59.95(I think).

You'll probably end up having multiple programs and use them all.

........and each may be a favorite for some specific action.

I have ExpertGPS downloaded and like it. I just have a few questions.

1. I can not get the file format for my MapSource into .gpx........I can not exchange info between the two?

2. I can create things like I want in ExpertGPS and name them, but when I go back to them I get a message that says the file does not exist? Is this because I am using the Free Trial?

3. Do you have to keep switching the interface formats on your GPSr to send and receive info btw the GPSr and ExpertGPS and then change the format again to start tracking? Is there not a setting that will do both?

Thanks!

I have ExpertGPS downloaded and like it. I just have a few questions.

1. I can not get the file format for my MapSource into .gpx........I can not exchange info between the two?

2. I can create things like I want in ExpertGPS and name them, but when I go back to them I get a message that says the file does not exist? Is this because I am using the Free Trial?

3. Do you have to keep switching the interface formats on your GPSr to send and receive info btw the GPSr and ExpertGPS and then change the format again to start tracking? Is there not a setting that will do both?

Make sure you have MapSource 6.0 or later - if not, get the update from Garmin's Web site.

Open one of your MapSource files, and click Save As. Change the file type to GPS Exchange Format (GPX)

Then open the .gpx files in ExpertGPS.

It sounds like you are renaming or moving the GPX files outside ExpertGPS, which is why it can't find them later. Contact me directly thru http://www.expertgps.com/support.asp if you need help with this.

Yes, you need to put your GPS in GARMIN mode for waypoint/route/track transfer, and in NMEA mode for Tracking in ExpertGPS.

I hope you find ExpertGPS useful.