How Water Proof?

codeman3

Most GPS units are waterproof to IPX7 standards, which means the unit can withstand immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. Rain should not be an issue.

Unless you live in the Pacific Northwet - where rain equivalent to one meter of water for thirty minutes can fall on you between your front door and your car.

Or so it seems some days.

I've sold Garmin handhelds for 15 years now at a large outdoor outfitter here in western North Carolina and over the years seen units that have been dropped off moving vehicles, dropped down rock faces by climbers and generally been rode hard and put up wet literally. I've yet to see a single unit develop a water/moisture issue. Obviously though, if the case or display window actually gets cracked, it's going to take on water. Otherwise they're (Garmins at least) pretty darned tight!

Most GPS units are waterproof to IPX7 standards, which means the unit can withstand immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. Rain should not be an issue.

This miht be a stupid ques. but, is there like a conversion chart for that.

Conversion chart? All that means is you can't have it under about a yard of water for more than 30 minutes.

This miht be a stupid ques. but, is there like a conversion chart for that.

30 minutes is equal to 1/2 hour, or 1/48th of a day... :anicute:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. The unit should be fairly waterproof. You wouldn't want to go swimming with it for long periods, but I've yet to get the inside of a GPSr wet.

The only part that looks like it could be aproblem on my 400 is the usb connection if all the terminals got water on them together at once and shorted? possible??

UPS only carries up to 5 volts, so not a worry. If it was they couldn't get the waterproof rating without enclosing them.

JDandDD

My Old Sportrak Map died when i was caching in a monsoon here in Texas one early morning. It (the Sportrak) was about 2.5 years old. Me and a friend were gunning to be FTF on a series of 10 caches and it just happened to be pouring really hard ... non-stop ... for 2 hours. My friends Mag Meridian survived just fine but my Maggy bit the dust :ph34r: ...

BTW, some other nut went out from midnight to 2am to find the caches in this remote park ... so we missed the FTF :mellow:

Edited by Grimlock
I've floated up the River ......

Now that is what's amazing. I've never seen anything float up the river. :mellow::ph34r:

My AirMap is only IPX-2, so if it's raining, or even a remote possibility of it getting wet, I put it in a waterproof pouch made for it, or what I usually do is grab the Garmin GPS 72, which is IPX-7, an go from there.

I've floated up the River With my Sportrak Pro in only a life jacket and encountered no problems at all with water.

Magellan's sport trak was advertised as "waterproof, AND IT FLOATS" when I bought it. I even tried this while it was still under warranty because I live in the Pacific Nortwest on an island, and it's true. My sport trak map has been submerged at least 5 times. It even drifted down stream once and I had to chase it down. Still going strong and I haven't had an issue yet, but I have come to respect the lanyard a lot.

Also, it appears to me, that the link cable connection on the back of it is designed like that to make an electrical connection, without ever messing with the "sealing" of the unit (no rubber flaps etc..). so it wouldn't make sense that getting these wet could harm it.