Whats Appropriate And Whats Not?

codeman3

The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) is here http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

From the FAQ page :

What shouldn't be in a cache?

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache.

But there should be no problem if there is a spent shell or a used shell rite?

Depends.

I don't know about your area, but in Massachusetts, spent brass and shotgun shells are legally considered to be ammunition, and you need to have valid Massachusetts FID (Firearm Identification Card) or LTC (License to Carry) in order to legally have these things in your possession.

I don't think most states do it that way.

It wouldn't really harm anyone then, except, then it's kind of junk. Most people go to a cache hoping to find something good, but then they'd go to the cache and say "Whoop-dee-doo. A spent shell. It'll look so nice on my mantle :o ". It's yet another thing of common sense. Would you like to find a piece of used junk that is kind of burnt looking, and you couldn't really use for any purpose? It's the sort of thing to think about.

As a general rule, I think ammo in any form would probably be frowned on by most in the caching community. That being said, almost every cacher I know, proudly carries either a knife (small) or multi tool with knife blade that they pulled from a cache. They are prohibited but I seen them a lot around here.

As a general rule, I think ammo in any form would probably be frowned on by most in the caching community. That being said, almost every cacher I know, proudly carries either a knife (small) or multi tool with knife blade that they pulled from a cache. They are prohibited but I seen them a lot around here.

my $.02= spent ammo=JUNK. Live ammo=forbidden for good reason... very dangerous.

However, I do indeed have a nifty multi-tool that I pulled from a cache a month ago, and wear/use it proudly after retiring my previous multi that I paid big bucks for. If it gets lost, I am out nothing, with the added benefit and warm fuzzy feeling that someone was thoughtful enough to leave it as a cache prize and I put it to good caching use constantly :anicute:

I saw the following log at the page for GCT2KA and immediately thought of this thread.

"Easy find. Took: Box Cutter (blade was showing when we opened container, that made me concerned thinking of children reaching in, so that's why I took it). Left: Tigger Pez Toy. TFTCSL

What I really find interesting is that I can't find anywhere in the logs before that one where someone took credit for leaving the box cutter.

my $.02= spent ammo=JUNK. Live ammo=forbidden for good reason... very dangerous.

Well, no, there is no such thing as "forbidden". You (or I) can put anything you want in any cache you want at any time you want and no one can stop you. Guidelines are just that, guidelines.

That being said, still probably not a good idea,