Cachemate For The Pocket Pc!

choccymandm

For Palm users Cachemate has been, and is, the muts nuts for paperless caching and from what we understand ... which isn't much :o ... there is nothing like if for the PPC(?)

Until today!!

It's finally here! CacheMate, once only a Palm OS application, is now

available for Pocket PC (2002 and higher) as well. A lot of things are

the same, but there are also plenty of differences attributed to the

change in platform, including the ability to import and export GPX files

on the device itself and viewing of images embedded in cache

descriptions.

Plugins for navigation and GPS waypoint transfer are forthcoming, but feel

free to submit requests for any additional import/export possibilities you

may want for this product.

Enjoy!

--

This email is automatically generated from site announcements. For more

information (and web links, as they apply), visit http://www.smittyware.com/

Product downloads - http://www.smittyware.com/prodlist.php

(yes, upgrades are FREE)

enjoy! :(:D

It was a different install to my usual experience - had to download the exe file, then copy that across to the Pocket PC and then run it on the Pocket PC (using File Explorer on the Pocket PC) more like a cab file install.

It works fine now on an iPaq 2210 with WM 2003.

Can any experienced users highlight why I should use CacheMate rather than GPXSonar? At first glance it looks different but basically the same functionality, or have I missed the glaringly obvious?

I can only agree with the BandM... posting.

Download and Copy from your PC and paste directly into a preferred location in your PDA.

Locate the file using File Explorer on the PDA.

Install from here, into the "default" location.

There is not a great deal of difference from GPXSonar at first sight. I have always had problems with GPXSonar on my Dell Axim X5. I am forever having to reset the Internet Explorer Western Alphabet to the Universal Alphabet to get the deg / min / font to work properly.... And the field notes functionality was suspect...

However, since I am using PocketPC 2002, CacheMate is better with this version. GPXSonar is no longer available for 2002 and development here has moved on in favour of PPC 2003 I seem to remember.

Brian at Smittyware, the author of CacheMate has deliberately started at the bottom end (PPC 2002) as far as compatability is concerned. For which I am grateful as I don't seem to be able to upgrade to PPC2003!

Edited by HighlandNick

When Brian gets the cachenav plugin done it will be far simpler having the pointy thing run from the same application without having to export to another app,I would guess the pluggin will have less un-needed junk than gpstuner/beeline/gpsdash etc. thats bogs the ppc down.

Great support too,a while back I had a problem with a bluetooth sd card on a palm and he rewrote 3 of the modules for me that day.

Brian at Smittyware, the author of CacheMate has deliberately started at the bottom end (PPC 2002) as far as compatability is concerned. For which I am grateful as I don't seem to be able to upgrade to PPC2003!

I think its better than the gpxsonar of whjat I seen of it so far

I like the option to select a database, you can have one with a tidy list of caches and another with all the extra grabbed waypoints for when you need them.

You can do that in gpxsonar - I'm still hoping that someone will come up with a list of advantages in Cachemate as I certainly like the approach. What is this cachenav plugin please?

It's not yet written for the ppc but is next in line I beleive,it's the pointy thingy that takes you to the tupperware/ammo box.

Instead of having to find the waypoint in another application to 'goto' you will be able to hit a goto button in cachemate and have all in the same app,worked very well on the palm and uses a lot less resources than the likes of beelinegps or gpsdash.

It's not yet written for the ppc but is next in line I beleive,it's the pointy thingy that takes you to the tupperware/ammo box.

Instead of having to find the waypoint in another application to 'goto' you will be able to hit a goto button in cachemate and have all in the same app,worked very well on the palm and uses a lot less resources than the likes of beelinegps or gpsdash.

That sounds very useful - I shall be patient. :anicute:

I'm still hoping that someone will come up with a list of advantages in Cachemate as I certainly like the approach.

John

It is fast - really fast, it certainly filters far quicker than GPXSonar, also it can connect to a GPS (Bluetooth or wired) and work out how far caches are from that point.

It is fast - really fast, it certainly filters far quicker than GPXSonar, also it can connect to a GPS (Bluetooth or wired) and work out how far caches are from that point.

...and as stated above, it is available for the PPC 2002! I just got it and won't be using it as a stand-alone GPSr, but just for paperless. I already like what it does! :laughing:

Doc