Re "unofficial Made Coins & Pins" & So-on

phoenix-rose

After reading a thread here earlier tonight, and seeing all of the new "unofficial" this and that coins, I have a great idea.

For those that are the "official" orginizations that are out there putting out coins and using the money to fund their group events, prizes, websites, and so on, I have a solution to the above problem. (Note that I'm not saying official/unofficial coins are bad as some of them have great designs - but let's consider a real solution and save the bickering... :o)

Obviously, these "unofficial coins" are being made a) for the money, :( for the money, and c) for the icon, and NOT to be put into caches, though a few may make it that far.

The solution? Start making "unofficial" PERSONAL coins for those that are making the "unofficial" state coins.

Take for example, SALLY in Timbucktu that decides she wants to make a coin for Zambia because they don't have a coin. Ok fine. No geocaching org will be able to really do anything about this.

However, for those places that do have a Geocaching Org, I say that those Orgs simply start creating "unofficial" personal coins for each of the people who are making the "unofficial" state coins. WOO HOO! This means that JIM-BOB over there will be not only having their own "official" personal coin (that may become more difficult to sell/trade), but also 3-5 "non official" personal coins to compete with. (No offense if any geocacher really has the name Jim-bob, it was simply being used as an example.)

This means, for all you organized geocaching groups out there, not only can you profit from your "official" coin, you can also profit from the unofficial personal coin of the other peson who has been practically taking money from your pocket. Plus, if you keep that "unofficial Personal coin" to a "limited edition", you know that you'll make a profit from the coin collectors which you can then put toward future events! :D

I think that this solution might actually work, but I'm open to suggestions. Anyone?

~Rose

(ed for spelling error)

Edited by phoenix-rose

What are you calling "official"?

We have some 6 to 8 clubs in Indiana and NONE of them are what I would describe as "official". I do not believe any have officers, a charter or by-laws. They are all just a great group of fun-loving geocachers out to have some fun (as it should be).

In reality the only thing a club has the right to do is make their own club coin. I have yet to see an individual to make an "unofficial" coin on behalf of a club or organization. I do not see what the problem is.

Edited by Rupert2

What are you calling "official"?

We have some 6 to 8 clubs in Indiana and NONE of them are what I would describe as "official". I do not believe any have officers, a charter or by-laws. They are all just a great group of fun-loving geocachers out to have some fun (as it should be).

In reality the only thing a club has the right to do is make their own club coin. I have yet to see an individual to make an "unofficial" coin on behalf of a club or organization. I do not see what the problem is.

In reality the state organization can either make or endorce a coin. That is what most people would call the official state coin. If those people are not formally organized with charters and bylaws and only manage to have fun...that's great.

THe funny part about your idea is will anyone actually be willing to invest 1-3k and the time to make a coin with someone elses name? Then of course what if the coins did not sell .. then the joke is on who?

I say go for it. If you want start with the sunshinegang coin.

BTW .... I could care less if the state org made the XYZ coin or if Jo Bob from Texas made it. Make a cool coin for a good price and I might buy it.

Personally, what I feel an "official" coin is one made - in the case of a personal - by the person themselves, and in the case of a city/state/ region by either the state geocaching association (associations in the case of California, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc.).

Yes, I understand that states aren't owned (Well.. ok maybe Utah does belong to the BLM :anicute: ), and that there are geocachers out there who are *NOT* part of their state orgs that want to make their particular state coins. I guess my main argument isn't for those that live in the state and want to make another state coin.

I guess really my thought is, what is a person from xyz state doing making a coin for somewhere across the country where they've never even lived/visited and as such, taking away some of the opportunity for the groups who are funded by the coin they use. Fundamentally, this would be similar to a state geocaching org making a personal coin for jim-bob (whom we don't know and haven't a clue about what he maybe likes/dislikes or is really all about... but hey - we're gonna make a coin that has jim-bob out swinging like a monkey through the trees because we like the idea. In reality, though, jim-bob has nothing to do with monkeys and he is completely allergic - and did I mention, he finds the association of him and a monkey completely offensive/racial slurish.) :cool:

My argument is that since most of the groups are funded by donation only and use the coin to help pad coiffures to promote geocaching (think taking newspaper reports up a canyon, teaching boy & girlscouts about GPS, going to schools and so on) , have geocaching events, and benefit their state members while positively promoting geocaching, I'd like to see people come up with new and exciting "original" ideas instead of doing the same old same old and potentially harming the city/state/regional geocaching groups by in essence doing too much of a similar thing and confusing the market.

Maybe instead, those who want to make geocoins for a profit should actually get out and geocache for a while. Then, go with a county, region, or a geocache of particular interest in that area, or heck, why not make some international geocaching friends and work with them to make a "state/provence" coin for somewhere else in the world other than just the US? (While there's alot of great caches in the US and the fad has taken off, I'd love to see more international coins...) Humm... why not make some related to the tools of the trade, or I don't know.. What about working to make something that would be better put INTO caches instead of coin collections?

Hense my suggestion to try and help curb some of the "unofficial" coins, get some further creativity, and well... do what we're all here to do - HAVE FUN GEOCACHING and being with friends.

~Rose

Edited by phoenix-rose

You forget, as long as GC is making money they WILL NOT move to curb these problems. It would mean less $'s for them...

The only power that GC has is the use of their website for tracking and icons.

Seeing as there are plenty of new sites popping up that provide just the same the perception of GC's power is shrinking.

I say get over it...

If someone spends whatever money they want to do whatever they want to then why are you throwing a fit?

It's personal choice as to what "You" buy, as well as "Anyone Else" on this board.

If it is really such a problem then how can these people get away with it?

Someone must disagree with you...?

If there is a demand a supply will be provided.

Rally those who agree with you to campaign in favor of boycotting the purchase of these coins.

Until you have done that I will not support further GC regulations or whining on the subject.

Again this is all In My Own Opinion.

Not a flame

Chaz