Cachemate For Pocket Pc

Maeglin

I tired it on My Dell Axim x51v WM5 (A06) and was unable to get it to use my GPS (BT GPSlim236). All other functions seemed to work. This is a recuring problem with other software as well so it may be user error. I'm able to run Memory-map software with this configuration, though. Anyway, all seems to be working fine but after hitting "Acquire" to get a center point it opens the window "NMEA Location Query Waiting for GPS fix ..." I've left this window open for 10 minutes with no change in status.

Never mind. Maeglin got it... :mellow:

Edited by oneeyesquare
Yes, I tried the mass delete with that version - it took an age! I thought it had locked up, but left it overnight and it did appear to complete the operation eventually! Any operation on this database of 1400 items takes so long it makes the application useless.

Sounds mostly like a hardware issue now... in my own testing between internal memory and memory card (or even that Safe Storage thing in some models), the difference is glaringly obvious. In some instances, I've seen it sit in a single CE database API call for 5-10 seconds at least while writing updates to a database file on a memory card, and that's on my M5 which appears pretty speedy compared to some. I'm also using MMC cards, instead of SD, which may be a factor. At least it's not crashing, apparently, which is what the fix was addressing.

If you can, just split the huge database into smaller ones...

One thing I'd be very interested in finding out is from someone with Windows Mobile 5 running this software. That's the only thing I haven't been able to get any test results with yet but, according to Microsoft's documentation, it should be compatible.

Oh, another thing... if there's any interest, there are t-shirts to be had :mellow:

I recently purchased an HP IPAQ rx1955 running WM 5.0 and just downloaded the new Cachemate for PPC. As soon as I complete the registration process I will load up my standard GPX of the closest 500 caches and start playing around with it. I'm relatively new to PDA's and PPC in particular so I may not be the best one to "put it through the paces" 'cause I'm not all that sure of the types of things that constitutes. I had an old Palm IIIxe using Cachemate for about the past 6 months and it worked well for me. My sweetie got me an early Valentine's gift (the IPAQ) :ph34r: and when I saw the new PPC version of Cachemate coming out I was real happy.

OK, while I was typing this message my registration number came in and I completed the process. Just uploaded a 500 cache GPX file without a hitch. So far so good. Now to get familiar with the program layout and functions. Is there going to a manual for the application or does the Help file have everything I need?

As an aside, I chose to purchase the new version and spend another $8 instead of trying to register with my old reg. code because it's such a small fee to pay for such a great caching tool. Keep up the good work.

Let me know what you specifically want to test with regards to WM 5.0 and I'll try my best to check it out.

OK, while I was typing this message my registration number came in and I completed the process. Just uploaded a 500 cache GPX file without a hitch. So far so good. Now to get familiar with the program layout and functions. Is there going to a manual for the application or does the Help file have everything I need?

Aside from the FAQ on the website, the help file is it.

As an aside, I chose to purchase the new version and spend another $8 instead of trying to register with my old reg. code because it's such a small fee to pay for such a great caching tool. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

Let me know what you specifically want to test with regards to WM 5.0 and I'll try my best to check it out.

Just play with it... if you spot any real problems (aside from things like slowness of database updates if you're using a memory card, since that's a duh issue), let me know. It may also help to check the FAQ or known issues list on the site if you run into something.

Aside from the FAQ on the website, the help file is it.

Okay I'm showing my newbie-ness here. I can't seem to find the Help file. Looked under LIST and OPTIONS with no luck. Tapped all the places I could see to tap and can't find the help file. :mellow:

Okay I'm showing my newbie-ness here. I can't seem to find the Help file. Looked under LIST and OPTIONS with no luck. Tapped all the places I could see to tap and can't find the help file. :mellow:

Start menu... toward the bottom :ph34r:

Thanks, like I said, I'm new to Pocket PC. I had assumed that Help file was for Windows Mobile and not for the application currently open. So is that how all PPC applications work? The help file for whatever application is open at the time is accessed by the main START menu?

Thanks, like I said, I'm new to Pocket PC. I had assumed that Help file was for Windows Mobile and not for the application currently open. So is that how all PPC applications work? The help file for whatever application is open at the time is accessed by the main START menu?

Supposed to be, yeah. Every app that has a help file is supposed to link it into the global help menu (what you get with that option on the Today screen) and respond to messages sent when you select that when they're in the foreground.

After reports of people having delays of minutes or hours (ouch) updating a single record on a memory card install, I'm going to try a different attack on the database. I'll work this week on replacing the clunky OS-provided thing with SQLite and see how that goes. If it's a success, I'll send a copy to those that are having the biggest reported problems, see if performance improves, and go from there.

It looks like the database engine change did the trick!

The official announcement:

Release - CacheMate 1.0.2 (Pocket PC)

This release replaces the database engine that was used in previous versions (which was provided by the OS) with something that's apparently a lot more efficient when it comes to having the database files stored on memory cards, and requires less program memory to do it. The file import/export plugins have received small performance tweaks, and a bug was fixed dealing with categories being deleted while in use (now correctly moves records in those categories to Unfiled).

Naturally, old database files will not work with the new engine, so you'll need to export whatever notes or changes you need before upgrading. The new engine uses a different directory for those files so as not to get things confused.

Now I can start on the more interesting changes :P

Awesome!!! Loaded it then registered without a problem. Database is running well on an SD card in my IPAQ with 500 waypoints initially. Makes it easy for me to load files without the sync software. I had been using my Handspring PDA, but really wanted to use the IPAQ with better speed, memory and backlight. Still playing with it and learning the differences in how things are done. But I like it a LOT.

One feature I did not see was a way to search for a waypoint like I did using the Handspring. Not a hugh deal because the PPC scrolls pretty fast. I appreciate not having to do a search or sort to get the nearest caches and the shortcut to set a waypoint as the center. Very smooth. Cutomizing the columns is a nice touch also.

Great job!!

EDIT: It DOES have a search feature. Just had to play around a little more. Under "List" select "Edit Filters" and enter what you want to find into the "Text" field. It will find Waypoints or Names equally well.

Edited by two left feet

Been running Cachemate 1.0 (pocket pc) on my new IPAQ rx1955 for a couple of weeks now without a hitch until today when I accidentally loaded a really large database (over 4200 caches). Didn't mean to do this and attempted to delete the whole thing once it loaded and then reload the smaller one I intended in the first place. Before it completely loaded the large file it gave an error saying something like "error importing file..." not real sure of the exact message. It appeared to have loaded most if not all of the file anyway. When I go to delete the whole list of caches it just locks up and I have to soft reset. I can't even delete a small group at a time - still locks up once I tap Delete. Tried uninstalling the application but it said the uninstall was incomplete and sure enough it's still on the PDA with a large list. Any ideas? Hard reset?

Edited for spelling

Edited for additional info: The PDA turned off while the file was uploading originally now that I think about it - because it was taking quite awhile.

Edited by popop
Tried uninstalling the application but it said the uninstall was incomplete and sure enough it's still on the PDA with a large list. Any ideas? Hard reset?

The uninstall appears to be imcomplete because it doesn't forcibly delete the install directory if files are there that weren't there before... it does that for 2 reasons: 1) preserve database files while upgrading and 2) once CacheNav is released there will be more than one installed package in that directory. If you want to completely wipe it clean after an uninstall, just delete the install directory.

When you're reinstalling, be sure to grab the latest version (1.0.2) if you don't already have it.

Tried uninstalling the application but it said the uninstall was incomplete and sure enough it's still on the PDA with a large list. Any ideas? Hard reset?

The uninstall appears to be imcomplete because it doesn't forcibly delete the install directory if files are there that weren't there before... it does that for 2 reasons: 1) preserve database files while upgrading and 2) once CacheNav is released there will be more than one installed package in that directory. If you want to completely wipe it clean after an uninstall, just delete the install directory.

When you're reinstalling, be sure to grab the latest version (1.0.2) if you don't already have it.

Okay, went to File explorer and deleted the Cachemate folder and all it's contents. Now to install the new version. Thanks

Hi,

I downloaded the installer, but when I try starting it I get the message 'CacheMate_setup.exe is not a valid Win32 executable'. Downloaded and tried it on a couple of different pc's, result was the same. Also tried with virus scanner off. Windows XP SP 2.

Hi,

I downloaded the installer, but when I try starting it I get the message 'CacheMate_setup.exe is not a valid Win32 executable'. Downloaded and tried it on a couple of different pc's, result was the same. Also tried with virus scanner off. Windows XP SP 2.

Nevermind, just read the whole thread :D

If I remember correctly, Windows 2000 gives at least a little more helpful info, something along the lines of "This is a valid application, but not for this type of machine". Why the loons in Redmond shortened the message instead of possibly making it clearer is anyone's guess.

I have installed Cachemate on a Qtek 9100 with Windows Mobile 5.0. Can anyone tell me how to import the GPX Pocket Queries?

1) Copy GPX file (zipped or unzipped) to My Documents on the PDA

2) Tap the Import Records toolbar icon in CacheMate (there are tooltips)

3) Go through the two dialog boxes that follow

RE: running the application on an SD card

I'm thinking of running the application from my 1.0GB SD card on my Ipaq rx1955. I've read of others having issues with how slowly it runs in this configuration. I'm thinking that since my pda had WM 5.0 that might not be quite the concern.

IF I were try this - do I just go to File Explorer and copy over the main folder to the SD card? No other files to transfer?

Can anyone confirm tolerable application speed with WM 5.0 and running CM totally on an SD card?

Now that you have the latest version there should be less of a speed issue with a memory card than if you didn't... the main part of that version was changing the database engine to something more efficient.

As far as moving it over, if you still want the shortcut to continue to work you should uninstall and reinstall on the memory card. You can then copy over the DB_Files folder and any remaining files from the main install directory (types and user id lists) and you should be good to go.

Is there any way to have multiple centre points, and be able to select which one you'd like to use? That would be cool.

This is one reason you have the ability to create new records without importing anything. To keep them all in one place, create a dedicated category.

Looks like this is one for the FAQ, for those that actually read it... I've answered it twice in the last 24 hours :D

The latest announcement:

CacheMate plugins for Pocket PC

The first two separate plugins for the Pocket PC version of CacheMate have just been released. CacheNav is a version of the same GPS navigation add-on for Palm OS, and there is also a TomTom POI export plugin. These are both available at the plugin download page.

All future plugin announcements will be given in a separate forum.

I was working on changes for 1.1, when I came across a memory leak in the database code and decided to go ahead and fix it before it became a real problem for someone. As a result, version 1.0.3 is now available.

Here's the official announcement:

Release - CacheMate 1.0.3 (Pocket PC)

This release fixes a small memory leak in the database code. It also adds proper support for landscape and square format screens, as well as a performance boost during GPX file import.

Enjoy!

I was working on changes for 1.1, when I came across a memory leak in the database code and decided to go ahead and fix it before it became a real problem for someone. As a result, version 1.0.3 is now available.

Here's the official announcement:

Release - CacheMate 1.0.3 (Pocket PC)

This release fixes a small memory leak in the database code. It also adds proper support for landscape and square format screens, as well as a performance boost during GPX file import.

Enjoy!

Installed the 1.0.3 and yes, noticable increase of import speed of gpx files. Great app thanks

BTW, decided to load the new app on the storage card and the install wizard notified me that it would delete the old version first. Well, I still had to go to File Explorer and physically deleted some files/folders from the Program Folder. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is to remove the shortcut to the exe file from the drop down list under START. I know it wants to run the app that was in program memory. It's not a big deal because another CM icon shows up in the "latest apps" portion of the Start drop down list and that one opens the new version loaded on the storage card. But it would be nice to remove the old one.

Edited for clarification: Running WM 5.0 on a new Ipaq rx1955

Edited by popop

The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is to remove the shortcut to the exe file from the drop down list under START. I know it wants to run the app that was in program memory. It's not a big deal because another CM icon shows up in the "latest apps" portion of the Start drop down list and that one opens the new version loaded on the storage card. But it would be nice to remove the old one.

Launch the PPC File Explorer and go into "\windows\start menu". You'll probably find the old shortcut there.

Scott

Well, I still had to go to File Explorer and physically deleted some files/folders from the Program Folder.

Of course... I explained that one to you here a week and a half ago. That's a design thing, not a bug to be eventually fixed.

The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is to remove the shortcut to the exe file from the drop down list under START. I know it wants to run the app that was in program memory. It's not a big deal because another CM icon shows up in the "latest apps" portion of the Start drop down list and that one opens the new version loaded on the storage card. But it would be nice to remove the old one.

Sounds like an OS bug to me... Windows Mobile creates the shortcuts based on the information I provide, and is supposed to clean those out but apparently it became confused in your case. What Twister said should lead you in the right direction. It apparently does that rather well in my case (2003SE), but maybe there's an issue with it in WM5?

Yup, it's an OS bug that apparently affects 2003SE as well. It seems that if you select the app shortcut to go in the main Start menu as opposed to Programs, the uninstaller forgets the fact that the shortcut was moved.

Edited by Maeglin

Launch the PPC File Explorer and go into "\windows\start menu". You'll probably find the old shortcut there.

Scott

That did it - thanks. Then I reset the new version exe file to show up in the TODAY list.

Sounds like an OS bug to me... Windows Mobile creates the shortcuts based on the information I provide, and is supposed to clean those out but apparently it became confused in your case. What Twister said should lead you in the right direction. It apparently does that rather well in my case (2003SE), but maybe there's an issue with it in WM5?

Must be, because in PPC 2002 I just use the Add/Remove Files function and everything works fine. :ph34r:

Doc

Well, I still had to go to File Explorer and physically deleted some files/folders from the Program Folder.

Of course... I explained that one to you here a week and a half ago. That's a design thing, not a bug to be eventually fixed.

I must apologize for the "tone" of the statement above. Didn't mean to express frustration with having to find and delete the old files. I was merely showing the flow of steps I took in the process.

Need a little help. I have an Ipaq and a Garmin 60C. I bought one of those bluetooth adapters and it seems to work with my Delorme handheld software. How do I use the bluetooth adapter with cachemate? I have gone to preferences and have tried to configure the plugins. One thing I noticed was that there was no set BT adress option. Am I missing something? I have the first versio...is this something fixed in later versions? Is there another plugin?

Thanks,

Nuwati

That option doesn't exist in the Pocket PC version, because unlike Palm OS there isn't just one standard Bluetooth stack, and they all do things differently. With the iPaq, you've probably got the Widcomm stack... if you know what serial port that's being used for outgoing Bluetooth connections, you should be able to use that in the serial port setting and it should work.

You'd probably be best off getting the latest version anyway, due to the bug fixes and improvements. If you've got 1.0.0 right now, though, keep in mind that the database files will not work with the latest version (different database engine).

Edited by Maeglin

Trying to install on a new Treo 700W running WM5. Since Popop confirmed it worked with WM5, I figured I would give it a shot. When I run the install, it just sits at the first screen saying it is installing, but nothing happens. I noticed a post early on that stated the same symptom when in landscape. Just for kicks I tried it in landscape as well. No go. Put it back in portrait and tried again. It just sits there saying it is installing but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Is there anyway I can get the CAB file and instructions on how to install?

Send an email to the Smittyware.com support address, as the website suggested, and I'll reply with a zipped copy of the CAB file. As far as installing it, if you know what a CAB file is, you should know how to install it :)

Just to avoid any further misconceptions about the square screen fix that's in version 1.0.3, that fix applies to the application itself, not the installer.

I'm still waiting on a fix for the latter, and seems as though I can't quite get the fire lit under the collective arses of the people that wrote it. What I may do in the meantime is test a cheaper installer to see if it works with those screen formats and, if it works, go back to the nicer one when they manage to correct things.

Is there anyway to upload waypoints to a GPS. I loved that with the palm.

Not yet, but it's on the list.

Will the Ique plugin hurt?

I don't know... are you feeling pain? :)

If you're wondering if it'll cause problems by being there, the answer is no. That plugin will only load if it's on an iQue Mx device, because of a DLL dependency. On other devices, it can't be loaded so it's just ignored. It would have been nice if I could have gotten the thing to install only on an iQue device but, alas, there's no way to do it.

Edited by Maeglin

I would like to congratulate Maeglin on a fine transition to the PPC platform. Cachemate is actually much improved, in my opinion, on the new platform.

The install was a little rocky, but most of that was because I didn't read ALL the pertinent FAQs. I will have to say that even with my stumbling around with the install, Maeglin was most helpful and courteous.

I'm still putting this through its paces, but I really like the navigation on ppc over that of the palm. The only thing I can't seem to do is to choose multiple waypoints to move to a new category. Other than that, it's a great piece of software.

Thanks SMITTYWARE!!!!

Before this cachemate release my Ipaq with wifi and bluetooth was playing second to my Sony Clie that I purchased for $50 dollars. I had gpxsonar on the Ipaq, but it did not hold a candle to the Sony Clie with cachemate. Cachemate is great for trips. If I had to go to Raleigh, I would load the first 200 miles of caches onto my GPS. Afte I was finished with those I would delete all of them from my GPS and load the last 200 miles via cachemate onto my GPS. Thanks for all of your hard work, patience, and help.

Nuwati

The only thing I can't seem to do is to choose multiple waypoints to move to a new category.

It's there... you just haven't found it yet. You can move multiple records in one of two ways:

- Bookmark the ones you want to move, bring up the bookmark list, and tap "Move"

- Sort/filter the list so that all of the ones you want to move at the top, select List > Move Records, and enter the number of records you want to move. If you're wanting to move all records in a certain category, you don't have to worry about sorting, filtering or the record count.

Cachemate 1.0.3 installed just fine on my iPaq 3600.

I created a 9-cache .GPX file to test in demo mode. The list of caches appears to have loaded just fine. I can see the Wpt and Name info among other fields in the columns.

Problem:

If I double click a Wpt, I would expect to see a more detailed view. I only see a BLANK screen - for each of the 9 Wpts.

Did I do something wrong? Any suggestions to correct?

Thanks!

Problem:

If I double click a Wpt, I would expect to see a more detailed view. I only see a BLANK screen - for each of the 9 Wpts.

Did I do something wrong? Any suggestions to correct?

At first glance, sounds like it may be a problem with Pocket IE (which renders that view) or some kind of memory issue. How much memory is available? It would also help to send a screenshot (there are a few programs on PocketGear and other sites that can do that) and the GPX file to the support email address. Someone earlier in this thread reported success using it on that same model, so I don't think that's the issue.

At first glance, sounds like it may be a problem with Pocket IE (which renders that view) or some kind of memory issue. How much memory is available? It would also help to send a screenshot (there are a few programs on PocketGear and other sites that can do that) and the GPX file to the support email address. Someone earlier in this thread reported success using it on that same model, so I don't think that's the issue.

Hi Maeglin,

The iPaq is a 32MB device with nothing else loaded or running. Memory should not be a concern with a 9-waypoint file :laughing:

I imported/exported the same .GPX file to HTML using GSAK and it plays perfectly on my laptop and smartphone.

I'll look into grabbing a couple screenshots when I get home tonite.

Thanks for helping!

Edited by markp99

I am a former Sonar user and wanted to try Cachemate when it became available for pocket pc. I registered it and have full access but I just can't get comfortable with it. Even reading the help section I can't figure out how to move gpx files around other than one by one, and when I open a pocket query it does not show the full entry for the cache. I am fairly computer literate and I imagine that I am just not doing it right. Any help here or via email would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Celtic Cacher

Even reading the help section I can't figure out how to move gpx files around other than one by one...

There are no GPX files to move after they're imported. If you're talking about records, there's a Move Records option in the List menu, and a Move button in the Bookmarks dialog.

...and when I open a pocket query it does not show the full entry for the cache.

What exactly do you mean by that? None of the description text is truncated by CacheMate, and it shows the full text of the hints and the last 8 logs.