Cachemate For Pocket Pc

Maeglin

CacheMate... it's not just for Palm anymore (however, if that is the version you're interested in, please venture to the CacheMate for Palm OS thread instead... thanks! :))

CacheMate for Pocket PC 1.0 was released today, for Pocket PC 2002 and later. It's very similar in functionality to the Palm OS version, but there are some key differences made possible by the different platform. They include:

- Import/export of GPX files directly on the device

- Viewing of images from cache description (when online)

- Fully configurable/resortable list view

Like the Palm OS version, though, it's a fully editable database with support for Garmin iQue devices (the Mx series, in this case) and exporting log notes to GSAK through GPX files. What it doesn't have yet are plugins for navigation, GPS waypoint transfer, or exporting to other applications (aside from those that read GPX files). Those first two are forthcoming, and I'm open to suggestions for that third variety.

The cost is the same as with the Palm OS version ($8). If you've purchased that version in the past, you're likely not (click for full explanation) going to need to pay again for this one... if you want to, though, I wont say no :laughing:

As always, before asking questions, please refer to the documentation and FAQ.

Edited by Maeglin

Anyone tried it yet? After I download it, I get an "invalid win32 application" when I try to run it to install. Tried downloading using Firefox and IE.

Did you try running it on your PDA yet? :)

The installer, I mean...

Edited by Maeglin

Anyone tried it yet? After I download it, I get an "invalid win32 application" when I try to run it to install. Tried downloading using Firefox and IE.

Did you try running it on your PDA yet? :)

The installer, I mean...

Not being a PPC ace. I tried loading it on my PC and hoping it would automatically load on my PDA and it didn't work. I then transferred it to my PPC and tried to execute it and it didn't work tat way. What is the proper procedure please?

Not being a PPC ace. I tried loading it on my PC and hoping it would automatically load on my PDA and it didn't work. I then transferred it to my PPC and tried to execute it and it didn't work tat way. What is the proper procedure please?

Odd... it worked for all of the beta testers. Try clearing your web cache or using a different browser and try again. If it still doesn't work I'll upload it to the site as a zip file (was really hoping to avoid that).

Odd... it worked for all of the beta testers. Try clearing your web cache or using a different browser and try again. If it still doesn't work I'll upload it to the site as a zip file (was really hoping to avoid that).

I first tried it with Firefox, just then I tried IE and tried executing it both on my PC and then on my PPC. I get Invalid W32 app with the PC and when I try to execute it on my PPC it just brings up a properties dialog box.

I first tried it with Firefox, just then I tried IE and tried executing it both on my PC and then on my PPC. I get Invalid W32 app with the PC and when I try to execute it on my PPC it just brings up a properties dialog box.

What device do you have? What version of Pocket PC is running on it?

What device do you have? What version of Pocket PC is running on it?

It is a Dell Axim X30H with 2003 on it

No same properties dialog when I double click it on my PPC. Sorry

What does the properties dialog say? I didn't know that Pocket PC had one (can't seem to find anything like that on my M5). Apparently you're the only one so far that it isn't working for when done properly...

Also, where did you copy the installer on the PDA?

Edited by Maeglin

It just says

Type: application

Ah, now I see what you're doing. You've copied it to the Pocket PC, but you're still trying to run it from the desktop, aren't you? That's not the way it works.

Go to File Explorer on the Pocket PC itself, go into the Program Files directory, and run it there.

That's it. I told you I didn't know much about the PPC, now you know how much I don't know. It's working now so I get to play with it. Paypal on the way. Thanks very much

At least you bothered to read what a Smittyware ID is, unlike two others that have registered so far. Bravo! :o

This is great!

I have been using cachemate on my old Palm and love the program.

I've been wanting to update my PDA and was trying to decide between a pocket pc or the Tungsten E2. Since I have never played with a pocket pc I spent 45 minutes playing with one and the Tungsten E2 in at Circuit City. I really liked the pocket pc and ended up buying on from buydig.com yesterday.

I've have not spent much time looking around for a new caching program, now I do not think I'll need too.

Thanks for making the conversion.

One thing I'd be very interested in finding out is from someone with Windows Mobile 5 running this software. That's the only thing I haven't been able to get any test results with yet but, according to Microsoft's documentation, it should be compatible.

Oh, another thing... if there's any interest, there are t-shirts to be had :o

Cachemate won't install in Lanscape mode as the buttons don't appear and there is no scroll bar - this needs a redesign. It took me ages to understand why the wizard just sat there doing nothing and with nothing for me to do! Then I had to reconfigure my device so it would work in portrait, and then put it back to landscape and hope that Cachemate will now run properly in Landscape.

Also - I have tried to register - I cut and paste my order number from the email you sent me in Nov 2003 - the system says it is not recognised. I suspect that this is because I incorrectly guessed which of my many email addresses I have used since then when ordering - but it doesn't actually tell me that. Instead it says the order is not recognised - it would have helped if it told me which bit wasn't recognised! How do I now do it as the system seems to have locked me out. If I didn't know Cachemate on the Palm was so good I would be tempted to just walk away after the problems I have had getting this working! I will be very annoyed if I get locked out for another six hours for one error like I am some sort of criminal trying to pirate software I have paid for! Treating innocent customers as criminals is the biggest sin a company can make in my view!

Cachemate won't install in Lanscape mode as the buttons don't appear and there is no scroll bar - this needs a redesign. It took me ages to understand why the wizard just sat there doing nothing and with nothing for me to do! Then I had to reconfigure my device so it would work in portrait, and then put it back to landscape and hope that Cachemate will now run properly in Landscape.

I'll pass that on to the people that wrote the installer.

Also - I have tried to register - I cut and paste my order number from the email you sent me in Nov 2003 - the system says it is not recognised. I suspect that this is because I incorrectly guessed which of my many email addresses I have used since then when ordering - but it doesn't actually tell me that. Instead it says the order is not recognised - it would have helped if it told me which bit wasn't recognised! How do I now do it as the system seems to have locked me out. If I didn't know Cachemate on the Palm was so good I would be tempted to just walk away after the problems I have had getting this working! I will be very annoyed if I get locked out for another six hours for one error like I am some sort of criminal trying to pirate software I have paid for! Treating innocent customers as criminals is the biggest sin a company can make in my view!

Well, at least I don't go to the extent that the recording and movie industries do... if there weren't so many pirates out there, I could get away with a lot less security, but the fact that there are is a fact of life.

It's unlocked now, by the way... apparently the 2nd email address you tried was the correct one. I've also just found and fixed the bug that locks out the order number if the email doesn't match up.

Edited by Maeglin

I tried to run filter (which worked) and then delete about 90% of the database (about 1000 items) - my PPC then ran out of storage memory and CM crashed. I could not stop CM or do anythign other than reset the device. CM now shows as having no caches (which I can live with) - there is no database file now in the CM folder - but CM doesn't respond to the import icon so I cannot import any new caches - CM seems to run fine - but without any caches in it!

I was particularly alarmed that CM on the PPC couldn't do something due to lack of memory when the file size was so much smaller than the sort of thing the Palm version handled easily with a fraction of the available memory.

Anyway - what do I do now? Do I need to reinstall from the original CM.exe file?

Anyway - what do I do now? Do I need to reinstall from the original CM.exe file?

I guess there's not much choice in the matter.

The critical difference here is between the database APIs provided by Palm and Pocket PC... in Palm OS, when you delete a record, the freed memory is actually released to the system. In Pocket PC, the opposite could happen. Maybe that's something that's fixed in WM5, but in the meantime I'm afraid there's nothing I can do for it.

If you're that low on storage memory, though, why not install on a memory card?

I have over 500Mb free on the card - but the system still complained I had insufficient storage memory. I was running no other apps and have all applications that will allow installed to the SD card.

Was CacheMate among them?

Windows Mobile will cache database updates in program memory instead of writing them to the database file every time, but it's supposed to flush those when memory starts to get low. I guess there's a bug in that as well? The only thing I can think of why it would crash, outside of a crash inside the OS itself, would be because the OS sent out a message to apps to release what memory they could (which CacheMate handles) and it happened to be while CacheMate was busy using the data it was ordered to free. I'll see what I can do about that.

When you did the cleanup, did you delete CacheMate's install directory? Chances are the uninstall didn't take care of that automatically, and something remaining may be causing the problems to persist.

Cachemate is on the SD card.

It came up with the "stop one of these programs" message - but Cachemate was the only option and selecting that just returned me to the locked up Cachemate. I had to resetthe device to get it to work.

I did not remove the cachemate folder structure as that is where the GPX file I would like it to work on lives! Anyway - I can work round that.

Yes. Thank god it is here. I got the registration code and unlocked cachemate, then the ppc locked up. I did a soft reset, and then another. When it settled down and opened cachemate it was back to the unregistered version. I thought no problem....oops the smitty id is different. I thought that the smitty id was connected to the unit ids name which has not changed. What do I do to fix this and prevent this from happening?

Nuwati

I thought that the smitty id was connected to the unit ids name which has not changed. What do I do to fix this and prevent this from happening?

It's connected to the Owner Name, not the Device Name. Why a lockup (well, that would really depend on what locked up, wouldn't it?) or soft reset would cause that to change, I don't know, but something did.

Sorry it is still coming up as the unregistered version. Let me check the id. Just so you know this thing rocks. Here is something else. I loaded 1000 caches before the crash and they are still there. It will not let me load any more because they excede the ten.

I checked it out and it has not changed.

If the Smittyware ID changed, it's because the owner name changed. There's no other explanation for it. You can try an uninstall/reinstall of the program if you like, but otherwise all that's left to do is request another code with the new ID.

Ok I must be doing something stupid I transferred the .exe file to my 1g card in my Toshiba e750 running 2003. I start the installer in the PPC using the File Explorer. When the installer starts, the installing cachemate screen comes up I click next, radio button is checked to Install to default location and hit Finish...

Only to get a Setup Failed : THe file "\CABFILE1.cab" is not a valid windows CE setup file.

I tried the same procedure again after moving the file to the FlashROM with the same results.

Any thoughts?

I tired it on My Dell Axim x51v WM5 (A06) and was unable to get it to use my GPS (BT GPSlim236). All other functions seemed to work. This is a recuring problem with other software as well so it may be user error. I'm able to run Memory-map software with this configuration, though. Anyway, all seems to be working fine but after hitting "Acquire" to get a center point it opens the window "NMEA Location Query Waiting for GPS fix ..." I've left this window open for 10 minutes with no change in status.

I tired it on My Dell Axim x51v WM5 (A06) and was unable to get it to use my GPS (BT GPSlim236). All other functions seemed to work. This is a recuring problem with other software as well so it may be user error. I'm able to run Memory-map software with this configuration, though. Anyway, all seems to be working fine but after hitting "Acquire" to get a center point it opens the window "NMEA Location Query Waiting for GPS fix ..." I've left this window open for 10 minutes with no change in status.

Sounds like it's getting something from the GPSr (otherwise, it would read "Listening for data")... what, though, is another thing. I'm guessing that you do have the baud rate set correctly? Looks like it should be 38,400 for that thing. I looked around for any NMEA oddities with it (for example, requiring an initialization command) but couldn't find anything.

It's nice also to see that someone has tried it on a WM5 device and it works... thanks for that :mellow:

Edited by Maeglin