Unofficial Japan Coin In Design Phase

Bailey Nippon 4

This is not a presale notice but for information.

I am in the process of working on an UNOFFICIAL Japan geocoin. I do not know of an official Japan geocaching society but I do know there are some very good geocachers in our area.

I live and work in Japan and wanted to create a personal geocoin that represents both my geocaching experiences and life in Japan. This is the first of what I hope can be an annual coin representing my experiences geocaching in and around my home. This first coin will contain an image of the Daibutsu (Big Buddha) in Kamakura which is near where I live. It will have the coordinates to the Daibutsu included. The coin should include the wording for Kamakura and Daibustu in Kanji and Romaji (english letters) on a ring surrounding the image of the Daibutsu.

The only real indicator that this is a personal coin will be my Honko/ Signature Stamp which says BaileyJpn4. (It really says BaileyNippon4, but that's as close as I could get.

The coins will be trackable but will not have its own icon.

The plan is to create a total of 300 coins of which 100 will be Gold Coins (75 being sold @ $8.00+shipping). There will also be 200 Nickel coins produced of which (150 will being sold @ $7.00+shipping).

When the art work is ready I will post more on this string.

Edited by Baileyjpn4

My dad was in the airforce and I was actually born in Japan so when these come out I would be interested. I will be watching this thread.

I actually found a cache and DNF about 3 more, when I was there about a year ago. So I would at least like one. Domo Arigato.

I'd definitely be up for 1 of these. Just like to see some art first :)

Just a quick question... since these won't have an icon, is there any real reason for tracking at all? With non-icon coins, you can have as few as 1 trackable. Just thinking the cost to own would be considerably less without tracking.

I'd definitely be up for 1 of these. Just like to see some art first :)

Just a quick question... since these won't have an icon, is there any real reason for tracking at all? With non-icon coins, you can have as few as 1 trackable. Just thinking the cost to own would be considerably less without tracking.

I do want to release several out into caches and award as FTF prizes. I imagine that if there were enough interest I could up the number of coins to get an icon represented but that would change the costs a bit. I am not sure how much, since this is my first coin.

I imagine that if there were enough interest I could up the number of coins to get an icon represented but that would change the costs a bit. I am not sure how much, since this is my first coin.

It shouldn't. You're looking at cost of icon at 30-cents a coin for 500 total coins. You've already covered that in your pricing of $7 and $8 plus shipping.

This is cool. I wouldn't mind having one of these in my modest collection.

Reminds of something that happened a while back...

Seems one of my travel bugs made it to Japan, Osaka to be exact, in the hands of a non geocacher. Long story short, I spent a couple of weeks with email translators getting one semi muggle hooked up with an avid local cacher to get my travel bug back into a cache. It still travel's today, been in germany for a while now. TBEE62 if your interested. Sorry to go so far OT

Just an idea for ya! :D

These would look really awesome done in antique silver! :D With Red & White ink for the background.

I just put in the English words for Diabutsu & Kamakura since my knowledge of Japanese ends with ... B) Ummm... :D

Well I guess you get the picture (I can say it but I have no idea how you spell it!! ;)B) )

Buddha.jpg

Not sure what the small things are on either side of the alter, but I did the best I coud from the small image I found on the internet. I just thought it'd look cool to break up the empty space on the ring to use them! :P

D-man :)

PS: I started to make it look like he was holding an ammo box with your avatar on the side, but I figured that it would be found disrespectful to some.

EDITED: to add PS:

Edited by gridlox

I like your idea! Both the subject and including your hanko. I've been to Kamakura and the Diabutsu. I lived in Japan in the 80s and was there again in 2002 - unfortunately I was not a geocacher at that time. I would also be interested in the coin.

flyingfisher formerly of Ooyama Tokyo prefecture

Bailey's Nippon 2006 Geocoin Update

Thanks to the help of Gridlox I have a final set of art work for the “Bailey’s Nippon 2006 Geocoin.” The coin has received approval from Groundspeak and we are ready to ship the order to be minted. Very soon we will have details as to how to order this coin. Keep watching the listing.

JapanHead.jpg

JapanTail.jpg

Edited by Bailey Nippon 4

What a great design....one of my next must-have-geocoins! :lol::laughing:

PS: What means the japanese letters on the coin and your avatar?

The top is Bailey written in the Katakana pronunciaton characters for foreign words (or used for emphasis) in Japanese. And the bottom are the characters for Japan - Nippon or Nihon (the first two) and the number "4".

I'm really looking forward to your coin!

You might want to contact matz about ideas for an official Japan Geocoin. He, Arcas, and kussy are veteran active cachers in the area and they discussed ideas for Japan Geocoin briefly at last year's HANAMI event.

You might consider attending this year's HANAMI to exchange ideas, or to motivate people to release the official one. :lol:

Man, if this were only March 1!

You might still want to contact matz-san anyway, since he's proficient in English and he posts in the "All Nations" section in the forums. :lol:

I really like the OP's coin design. :laughing: I'll keep my eyes open to see if I can buy some, do a trade, or find one in a cache.

What means the japanese letters on the coin and your avatar?

The top is Bailey written in the Katakana pronunciaton characters for foreign words (or used for emphasis) in Japanese. And the bottom are the characters for Japan - Nippon or Nihon (the first two) and the number "4".

I'm really looking forward to your coin!

Thank you for the explanation! :laughing:

I received email from baileynippon4-san tomorrow. :)

I'm very glad to hear from him and I think he made great job to make DAIBUTSU-KAMAKURA japanese GEO-COIN!!

I'm very sorry that I did not check the thread for long time. I'm very busy on my business now. B)

But there is TWO PROBLEM that I must say.

(1)budd-rdc-san who suggested you to contact to me saids

that "he's proficient in English"..... That is not true.

I'm not good at to speak and write English. :laughing:

Actually there needs much time to write this. :laughing:

(2)The character currently written to it is not right.

wrong: DIABUTSU-KAMAKURA

right: DAIBUTSU-KAMAKURA

And all most Japanese call the statue as "KAMAKURA-DAIBUSTU".

You had better to fix it. "DIABUTSU-KAMAKURA" does not make

any sense.

I do not mind this coin will be official or not, but if you decide to make it as official, the name shold be "KAMAKURA-DAIBUTSU-Geocoin", not Japanese geocoin because the design is only for KAMAKURA area.

I can't wait your KAMAKURA japanese GeoCoin! Even it will official or not. I'll be sure and want to buy 1Gold and 2Nickels. :laughing:

matz Tokyo Japan