Micro Geocoins Series...........

BackBrakeBilly

Since we seemed to have a big hand in starting this microcoin craze and we love microcaches, we are planning of doing a microcoin series with a coin representing each of all 50 of the states. The artwork for the first few states is underway and as soon as it is ready it will be previewed here.

Hopefully when this project gets cranked up we will be selling from 2 to 4 state coins per month.

Look for more details coming soon......................

Ouch. Hope you'll let some states do their own...

I have to agree. We've done our own state coin for past two years now and wouldn't want somebody else doing the California micro-coin.

Of course this opens up the can of worms about who has the right to do a coin.

Some say "first to get to it", but IMO it's not right for someone in Tennessee to put out a California coin, just because they can.

I have to agree. We've done our own state coin for past two years now and wouldn't want somebody else doing the California micro-coin.

Some say "first to get to it", but IMO it's not right for someone in Tennessee to put out a California coin, just because they can.

I too agree.... Each State has at least one geo-organization and IMHO I feel the State coins should be left up to them, especially if an Icon is involved. I'm sure the organizations will be coming out with State coins soon.

We are working with CoinsandPins and no design will be hurried. We had plans to do this series when the Tennessee microcoin was thought up and we are now getting things underway on this project. As for other states doing their own microcoin, we have no problems with that what so ever. Just like the Indiana microcoin, our design will be different so there is no conflict as far as we are concerned.

They will all be trackable at GC.com with a new icon for each state.

Thanks...

I too agree.... Each State has at least one geo-organization and IMHO I feel the State coins should be left up to them, especially if an Icon is involved. I'm sure the organizations will be coming out with State coins soon.

I also agree that each state should be doing their own coin.

As for other states doing their own microcoin, we have no problems with that what so ever. Just like the Indiana microcoin, our design will be different so there is no conflict as far as we are concerned.

Thanks...

With all due respect, you shouldn't have a problem with other states doing a coin for thier own state. The 'conflict' is that there will be two state coins (micros, etc.) with only one being done/approved/recognized as the "official" coin.

Yes, I've seen the other threads about needing the state gov't to recognize the coin to make it "official" in the legal sense and that's not what I'm talking about.

The perception is that by doing a coin for another state you want to beat them to market to capitalize on the purchase. I'm not saying that that is your intent, but that's the perception.

Finally, here in California we've done our own state coin for two years running, have the San Diego coin, the GBA coin, etc. - what makes you think we would want somebody else doing our micro coin?

We are working with CoinsandPins and no design will be hurried. We had plans to do this series when the Tennessee microcoin was thought up and we are now getting things underway on this project. As for other states doing their own microcoin, we have no problems with that what so ever. Just like the Indiana microcoin, our design will be different so there is no conflict as far as we are concerned.

Thanks...

Then you are doing so without the support of the organizations or representation of our state.

I agree! Each state should be doing their own. If that state wants you to do one for them then fine. Otherwise stay away and out of the state coins. Sorry to be blunt.

Each state is more than welcome to do it's own coin. No one including me has any right to say they are the only one that can do a coin that has anything to do with their state. I would love to see more states come up with microcoins. Our series will celebrate the 50 states as a whole in the geocaching world and will not be put out to stop anyone from putting out a coin for their state. This seems to go back to who has the "official right" to make a state coin???

These will NOT be official state microcoins to put this notion to rest. They are just micro geocoins and that is that.

Thanks.

Finally, here in California we've done our own state coin for two years running, have the San Diego coin, the GBA coin, etc. - what makes you think we would want somebody else doing our micro coin?

We are not planning on doing "your" microcoin. Feel free to do your own microcoin with our blessing, in fact, I would love to see a new Calif. Microcoin out there soon!

And the same goes for any other state out there.

Once again, these coin will not be "Official State Microcoins", just another microcoin and that is it.

Thanks.

I am making a Texas Micro right now and find it silly to have have two Texas Micros. Then again nobody can stop you and I have no say in what you decide. So if there are two Texas Micros no big deal and if TXGA does one, then there will be three. I do feel you should respect other peoples wishes about their state coin before making it, even if it's not "offical".

But they are microcoins for EACH STATE. How is there no conflict there?

Why not just do a USA microcoin instead?

The early read here is that the states want to do thier own.

At the very least, why not have an "opt-out" list?

If their is anyone from a certain state that would like to jump on in and do a "official" microcoin for their state then jump on in and do it and again, we would love to see this!

I am not going to try to beat anyone to make their states coin, like I have posted already, we are not planning to do any "official" coins for any states just like the Tennessee Microcoin is not the "Official" microcoin for the state of Tennessee, its just a microcoin that we came up with and I might add the FIRST GC.com Microcoin. We had a plan which was discussed over 2 months ago as to what order the state micros were going to be put out in and would be willing to hold off on a state if that state would like to put their "Official" microcoin out first.

Thanks.

Hmmmm.

Did we not just discuss this somewhere once or twice? :)

You stole my idea's!!!! :)

But wait......It is not complete. :laughing:

It SHOULD BE A TRIBUTE TO THE GEOCACHING WORLD MICRO GEOCOIN.:lol:

If we are going to include everyone in this. :laughing:

Just punnin now but serious as well,don't we need to include everyone in this.

And it is a good idea to steal. :)

I am making a Texas Micro right now and find it silly to have have two Texas Micros. Then again nobody can stop you and I have no say in what you decide. So if there are two Texas Micros no big deal and if TXGA does one, then there will be three. I do feel you should respect other peoples wishes about their state coin before making it, even if it's not "offical".

Yes I know about the Texas Microcoin and from what I have heard, it is going to be a great one!

I respect the wishes of everybody out there and like I said, if any states have plans on their own microcoin we will work with them to let theirs be the first and the "Official" state microcoin for their state.

I (we)am in for Missouri.

And let's see the Nederlands.

Yes I know about the Texas Microcoin and from what I have heard, it is going to be a great one!

I respect the wishes of everybody out there and like I said, if any states have plans on their own microcoin we will work with them to let theirs be the first and the "Official" state microcoin for their state.

So these are going to happen no matter what anybody says, right?

I'm really not trying to antagonize you, but you posted here, got some feedback, and from what I can tell are going to do regardless of what is said.

I've said my peace - let others chime in if they want to.

Please do not create, manufacture, or contract for any coin that represents the state of Nevada.

Thank you.

Idahogeocachers may or may not do a Microcoin. Our projects tend to be adhoc and develop a life of their own. For the type of organization we are, that's exactly how it should be.

If someone were to actually do a 50 state micro series and make it LE, I'd be tempted to have Terracachers.org do a 50 state series and make it affordable and non LE just to see coins make it to caches. Besides Terracachers could use the money to do things like pay for a geocaching lobby or pay the 501 C 3 fee the IRS wants to do the review, or evne helping the state orgs become non profit. I don't want to go there since I'd rather see each state make their own coin and have that coin hold some value as a unique coin rather than 1 of 20 that people couldn't resist making.

The Geocoin market has limits and if it's going to be broken then I will throw my weight behind breaking it in a good direction.

I commend your enthusiasm, think about what you are going to accomplish with this.

So these are going to happen no matter what anybody says, right?

I'm really not trying to antagonize you, but you posted here, got some feedback, and from what I can tell are going to do regardless of what is said.

I've said my peace - let others chime in if they want to.

Well I wouldn't say "No matter what anybody says" because like any other project things can be put off or done away with although we would love to do this great series of coins for our country.

As for one of your other comments earlier, there is already artwork underway for a USA microcoin which is planned too. We love geocoins and have a blast playing with designing them. We have sat and seen others use ideas we have thought about and not said a word due to the fact that we don't think anyone has a monopoly on any geocoin idea as long as the design isn't exactly the same.

Thanks.

I used to think that the geocoins were just a hobby for some... but it is clear that it has become big business now. And that business is NOT to have geocoins travel, otherwise there would be NO reason to limit how many are made...

why not make an initial 500, and then make another couple hundred when those sell out? since the die fee was already paid for in the first batch, even a run of 250 should be able to be done and still sell them at the same price.

ok, I'll tell you why many wont do that... because if they do that, collectors wont buy more than one up front since there wont be any trade value... so they wont immediately sell out and have the $ in hand right away. It isn't about the coins anymore, it is solely about the $$$.

I applaud everyone that has placed coins out in caches, especially if you placed ones that you bought! I just wish that so many of them weren't done with ONLY the collectors in mind.

Anyway... I will be passing on the purchase of ANY of these coins and will wait for local orgs to put them out, maybe some of them are listening to the cries for them not to be limited.

And for those that say I should go ahead and do them myself... I do have a couple in process that will be done with Travelling in mind instead of collecting. One should be available very soon. and one will be a micro coin as well. I also have set 5 coins free into the wild for travelling so far, I have more to be released yet as well. I figure the only way that geocoins will be accepted as travellers and not 'prizes' to be kept, is to have alot of them out travelling for people to see and share in. I also don't count bringing them to an event to swap numbers as travelling, nor do I log those coins either, everything in my stats is out in the wild, either found or released.

end of rant...

but go ahead and feel free to make all the coins you want to, regardless of reason. It would just be nice to maybe see them out in caches travelling the world.

Hmmmm.

Did we not just discuss this somewhere once or twice? :)

You stole my idea's!!!! :laughing:

But wait......It is not complete. :laughing:

It SHOULD BE A TRIBUTE TO THE GEOCACHING WORLD MICRO GEOCOIN.:)

If we are going to include everyone in this. :)

Just punnin now but serious as well,don't we need to include everyone in this.

And it is a good idea to steal. B)

Hey Charles, Feel free to steal my microcoin idea, after all, it has already been took a couple of time so far and I hope to see lots more microcoins out there soon! :lol:

Although we didn't actually do the first micro geocoin, we just did the first GC.com trackable microcoin.

Edited by BackBrakeBilly

I'm not aware of any Kansas Geo Organizations, and since I missed out on making the Kansas Coin, I'll be working on the Kansas Micro Coin.

I'm not aware of any Kansas Geo Organizations, and since I missed out on making the Kansas Coin, I'll be working on the Kansas Micro Coin.

And I would love to be on the list to get a couple of your Kansas microcoins please..... :)

end of rant...

but go ahead and feel free to make all the coins you want to, regardless of reason. It would just be nice to maybe see them out in caches travelling the world.

Speaking of which and I know it's not that many but we have at least 20 of the Tennessee Micro coins ready to go out in caches in our area with some more going out in some other area that we travel too. Some are also slated to go out as FTF prizes but here the catch, we are going to activate them and then offer adoption to the first to find so the coins will actually get logged instead of going up for sale or trade.

It is a good thing to see the coins actually travel from cache to cache.

Edited by BackBrakeBilly

I do know that most of the Coin Clubs for the most part will NOT buy a state coin made by someone in another state.

Not to offend any of the great coin clubs out there but the reason for those clubs is to get coins for folks personal collections, very few coins ever get to travel in caches. The coins we were planning on doing were going to be very cheap for a GC.com trackable coin so hopefully some of them would actually go out into caches and travel.

Like I say, no offense meant to any clubs but we would love to see folks put coins in caches.

I will add California to the please do not do list. I would like to see our locals continue doing our coins.

Well since the only interest in this project is for others to use our trackable microcoin idea I guess we will let you folks have it although it will be good to see so many Great state microcoins coming out in the near future.

Since we seemed to have a big hand in starting this microcoin craze and we love microcaches, we are planning of doing a microcoin series with a coin representing each of all 50 of the states. The artwork for the first few states is underway and as soon as it is ready it will be previewed here.

Hopefully when this project gets cranked up we will be selling from 2 to 4 state coins per month.

Look for more details coming soon......................

Sorry, but this seems to be an action which is just looking for the real big money. One person doing 50 state coins with 500 coins for each state - that's making profit on 25.000 coins!

No, thank you. If "official" state microcoins appear we will be interested. But we have lost any interest in geocoins where we have the feeling that our interest is just used to fill someone elses pockets.

Regards, Balla & Silly