Forums Problem

Wadders

I am getting this when i try to log from gc.com into the forums......help please!!

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlUserController._SaveIPBExtras(Int64 ID, String Notes, String Links, String Bio, String photo_type, String photo_location, String photo_dimensions, String interests, String location, String signature, String avatar_location, String avatar_size, String avatar_type, String DBPrefix) +622

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlUserController.SaveIPBForumUser(Int64 UserID, String Username, String Password, String Email, String Title, Int64 Joined, Int32 GroupID, String Notes, String Links, String Bio, String photo_type, String photo_location, String photo_dimensions, String interests, String location, String signature, String avatar_location, String avatar_size, String avatar_type, String Salt, String prefix) +517

Groundspeak.Web.Forum.IPBUser.Save() +123

Geocaching.UI.IPBForumUpdateControl.UpdateForumUser() +2162

Geocaching.UI.forums_register.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +268

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1097

Geocaching.UI.forums_register.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +92

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +772

In other words, everyone was getting that message for the first few days after the forum software upgrade, but then it got fixed.

I think not.

Still seeing it on

• Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7
  • IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

Deleting cache on both did nothing helpful.

Going to forums.Groundspeak.com directly rather than from the forums link on 'my' works fine.

(also, why did the forum preview capitalize Groundspeak when I typed the hostname in lower case?)

Both of you had garbage in your sig line. Once I removed it the link went through. I'll have to figure out how to check for bad links or stuff that isn't supposed to be in the sig line.

I had to log in as both of you so you'll have to log back into geocaching.com if you had your cookies turned on.

Both of you had garbage in your sig line. Once I removed it the link went through. I'll have to figure out how to check for bad links or stuff that isn't supposed to be in the sig line.

I had to log in as both of you so you'll have to log back into geocaching.com if you had your cookies turned on.

I have had the same problem, despite clearing the cache, etc. I can still only log in to Forums if I'm logged off gc.com .

What is a 'sig line', and how can I cleanse it of 'bad links and stuff' ???

Thanks.

What browser do you use?

I see the same problem in either Firefox 1.5.0.1 or MSIE 6.0

Both of those work for me

So the problem (which is still there as of Sunday morning Feb 12, US Eastern time) seems to be something about IDs or profiles or some other user-specific data, rather than browsers.

Here's a screen capture of what I see in Firefox when I click on the [Forums] link on the left-hand navigation bar, when logged in to geocaching.com:

1fdc4d4e-3936-46b1-928e-1d55612ae32f.jpg

[edit: added some details for clarification]

Edited by Urubu

From the Knowledge Base of Contact@ support.

These are some common issues (and possible solutions) that can help you get logged in:

1. The quickest known fix is to log into geocaching.com and click on the "forums" link on the left hand side of the page. By clicking on the link while logged in, the site updates the forum database with your most up to date account information. This can sometimes overwrite bad information that was breaking your login.

2. The second known problem is if you have two accounts that have the same email address. If you wish to use the forums you should keep your primary account and try and change the email address of other accounts. Also if you use the same password for all of your accounts this tends to alleviate the problem.

3. If you have weird characters in your password the site may get confused and won't be able to let you log in. Try and only use characters on a standard keyboard in your password.

4. Finally, Go to your My Profile page and select "edit my profile" Remove everything from your Forum Signature

box. Select update account. Now try to enter the forums from the link on the left side of the home page. If this works you have something in your sig line that the new software can not accept.

I hope this helps. We're continuing to work on ways to make this an easier transition. Thanks for your patience.

While this is not the answer to all problems it does seem to solve almost all of them.

Edited by CO Admin

From the Knowledge Base of Contact@ support.

These are some common issues (and possible solutions) that can help you get logged in:

1. The quickest known fix is to log into geocaching.com and click on the "forums" link on the left hand side of the page. [...]

While this is not the answer to all problems it does seem to solve almost all of them.

Thanks, but in this case this is not the answer.

In fact, it's a good statement of the problem: when logged into geocaching.com (and only when logged in), we cannot log into the forums with that left-hand link.

Same problem here.

Clicking on forums gives me the same page as previously posted. Error in both Firefox and IE6.

I do have the standard Geocaching signature, no funny characters I am aware off.

Don't have a clue how to enter the forums. Quite annoying. ;)

Regards,

Boswijk Posse

Same problem here.

Clicking on forums gives me the same page as previously posted. Error in both Firefox and IE6.

I do have the standard Geocaching signature, no funny characters I am aware off.

Don't have a clue how to enter the forums. Quite annoying. :)

Regards,

Boswijk Posse

It seems that the problem may have been fixed (as of Tuesday night, Feb 14, US Eastern)? I was able to log into the Forums on this attempt while logged in to geocaching.com.

It's nice to know that someone was paying attention after all. :D