60csx, Expeditionc Or Huntc

aton

The knowledge that is shared here is unbelievable as are the folks willing to share it. I was directed to this site by a rep at Lowrance who would not answer any questions reguarding the SIRF technology. I have been researching gps units, features, maps etc. for a month and have narrowed the search down to these three models. (Wish I had known about this site sooner!) I will list some of the things my friends and I want to do and maybe someone can shed some light on what units would serve us best. We are all new to this technology as users but have heard many negative reports from others about their results with gps units in the past. Maybe the SIRF technology will solve the biggest problem they have complained about (loss of signal in dense foliage, inability to aquire sats). This is the most important part of gps performance we need. We go on foot, off road, deep woods, no trails and at night on occasion. We need to mark very specific trails in and out without much deviation. Previously a compass, topo maps (1-24000) and trial and error were used. We want to eliminate the trial and error part or at least as much of it as possible so custom mapping, waypoints, number of recorded trackpoints and maybe voice recording are important. Some other questions about specific gps model features I have are: does Lowrance use SIRF in the models I'm looking at but doesn't advertise it? (the company rep wouldn't say), Does 16 channel tech. with advanced operating program work as well as SIRF tech( from what I read it's focus is on picking up a weak or limited sat signal)with old software or does this question make no sense at all? Why the high-def screen on the Expedition and not the Hunt model when all other features are almost the same? ( Did I miss something?) Are the extra icons and waypoints in the Hunt model a deciding factor? Also the units we buy should be as uncomplicated and simple to operate as possible because some of the guys interested in buying a gps are not very computer savy. Price is not a deciding factor, performance is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Edited by aton

I asked the same question over at the ifinder yahoo group. Here is the reply from one of the knowledgable folks (rwcx183) over there:

"iFinder = SiRF IIe

iFinderPro = SiRF IIe/LP

iFinderH2O = SiRF IIe/LP

iFinderHunt = SiRF IIe/LP

iFinderM&M = SiRF IIe/LP

iFinderPHD = SiRF IIe/LP

iFinderExplorer = SiRF IIe/LP

iFinderHuntC = SiRF III

iFinderExpeditionC = SiRF III

iFinderH2OC = SiRF III

iFinderGO/GO2 = Antares or SiRF III (can't remember for certain)"

But from your description, maybe you need a higher end pro-type GPS (i.e. Trimble or the like).

My Expedition does better in the woods and ravines (and I'm talking redwoods, not the little midget trees you all have elsewhere) than my Sportrak Map did. But I have no way to directly compare it to one of the newer Garmins.

The knowledge that is shared here is unbelievable as are the folks willing to share it. I was directed to this site by a rep at Lowrance who would not answer any questions reguarding the SIRF technology. I have been researching gps units, features, maps etc. for a month and have narrowed the search down to these three models. (Wish I had known about this site sooner!) I will list some of the things my friends and I want to do and maybe someone can shed some light on what units would serve us best. We are all new to this technology as users but have heard many negative reports from others about their results with gps units in the past. Maybe the SIRF technology will solve the biggest problem they have complained about (loss of signal in dense foliage, inability to aquire sats). This is the most important part of gps performance we need. We go on foot, off road, deep woods, no trails and at night on occasion. We need to mark very specific trails in and out without much deviation. Previously a compass, topo maps (1-24000) and trial and error were used. We want to eliminate the trial and error part or at least as much of it as possible so custom mapping, waypoints, number of recorded trackpoints and maybe voice recording are important. Some other questions about specific gps model features I have are: does Lowrance use SIRF in the models I'm looking at but doesn't advertise it? (the company rep wouldn't say), Does 16 channel tech. with advanced operating program work as well as SIRF tech( from what I read it's focus is on picking up a weak or limited sat signal)with old software or does this question make no sense at all? Why the high-def screen on the Expedition and not the Hunt model when all other features are almost the same? ( Did I miss something?) Are the extra icons and waypoints in the Hunt model a deciding factor? Also the units we buy should be as uncomplicated and simple to operate as possible because some of the guys interested in buying a gps are not very computer savy. Price is not a deciding factor, performance is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank You