Toasted New Legend Cx...but I'm Happy!

HighlandPC

Received my new Legend Cx last week. Played with it in/around house while waiting for an auto mount/cig adapter cable. Mount and cable came Tuesday, so created a route to my work for testing/playing purposes on Wednesday.

All-in-all worked very well..was pretty impressed. That afternoon while sitting in line at a drive-thru for lunch I noticed it had powered off and wouldn't come back one. Weird, but I did have it set to power off when external source was lost. So I unplug cable ends, thinking maybe it got bumped loose, reconnected...unit powers back up fine.

On my way back home, after shutting it off for a quick stop at a store...it would not power back up. Thought I had a bad adapter cable and dead batteries. I get home and it powers back up in the house, but freezes/locks solid as soon as the USB/computer cable is connected. No way! Have to remove batteries to get it to shutdown. Same thing happens back in the truck with the cig adapter cable...plug it in, unit locks solid. But everything seems to work fine when running just off batteries.

An email to Garmin Tech Support gets no (quick) response, so I call them yesterday afternoon. Long and short of it is, this guy (Joe C.) comes back on the phone and asks if I'd be ok with shipping my bad unit back to them, they would overnite me a new unit, and throw in City Navigator DVD just for my troubles. I say "Well hell ya I'm ok with that!".

Unbelievable, I've never experienced such top-notch customer service in my lifetime. I was expecting to hear the usual "ship it back, we'll look at, you should have it back in 2 to 3 weeks". Totally blew my mind!

Joe C. from Garmin Customer Service (or his boss if you're reading this) you deserve a raise. You and your organization have really raised-the-bar as far a customer service is concerned in this day and age.

Hats off to all of you Garmin folks!

:wub::blink::ph34r::wub::ph34r:

Just for comparision, my Explorist 600 died 30 min after initial full battery charge. After almost two hours to get through to support their answer was "ship it in for repair"! My answer "no way is a new unit going into the black hole of service and come back MAYBE as good as new". It is going back to the seller and being exchanged for a Garmin unit. We had used a Garmin for a few months and liked it, just thought I would try the Magellan. Not again. As my old man said "there is no education in the second kick of a mule". Glad you had a better experience!

Received my new Legend Cx last week. Played with it in/around house while waiting for an auto mount/cig adapter cable. Mount and cable came Tuesday, so created a route to my work for testing/playing purposes on Wednesday.

All-in-all worked very well..was pretty impressed. That afternoon while sitting in line at a drive-thru for lunch I noticed it had powered off and wouldn't come back one. Weird, but I did have it set to power off when external source was lost. So I unplug cable ends, thinking maybe it got bumped loose, reconnected...unit powers back up fine.

On my way back home, after shutting it off for a quick stop at a store...it would not power back up. Thought I had a bad adapter cable and dead batteries. I get home and it powers back up in the house, but freezes/locks solid as soon as the USB/computer cable is connected. No way! Have to remove batteries to get it to shutdown. Same thing happens back in the truck with the cig adapter cable...plug it in, unit locks solid. But everything seems to work fine when running just off batteries.

An email to Garmin Tech Support gets no (quick) response, so I call them yesterday afternoon. Long and short of it is, this guy (Joe C.) comes back on the phone and asks if I'd be ok with shipping my bad unit back to them, they would overnite me a new unit, and throw in City Navigator DVD just for my troubles. I say "Well hell ya I'm ok with that!".

Unbelievable, I've never experienced such top-notch customer service in my lifetime. I was expecting to hear the usual "ship it back, we'll look at, you should have it back in 2 to 3 weeks". Totally blew my mind!

Joe C. from Garmin Customer Service (or his boss if you're reading this) you deserve a raise. You and your organization have really raised-the-bar as far a customer service is concerned in this day and age.

Hats off to all of you Garmin folks!

:anicute::cool::P:D:D

"no way is a new unit going into the black hole of service and come back MAYBE as good as new"

Actually, what happens is that you call and scream at them for two, three, four, five or six weeks and then start to threaten them with dire action and then send you a brand new unit so that the fun can start all over again! :anicute:

Doc

Well, the new Legend Cx package arrived yesterday, with City Navigator v7 CD...and all is well again.

I'm a little apprehensive about plugging in the cig lighter adpater cable yet, as the previous unit worked fine until I used that thing...I'll just run it on the rechargables for awhile to test real world battery life.

On a side note, Joe C.'s boss (Tom B.) called me Friday afternoon as a follow-up to my conversation with Joe. He was looking for additional information to help determine what had gone wrong here...so apparently I may not be the only one experiencing this issue?????

I just bought a Legend CX also. I've had a few little problems but have not requested a new unit yet.

Can you tell me how to download waypoints to the MapSource software?

If you mean from the unit into Mapsource...then simply connect the unit via USB cable and select "Transfer" (I think?) from the Mapsource menu, and pick "From GPS". That will give you options for transfering waypoints, tracks, routes, etc... to your unit.

I just bought a Legend CX also. I've had a few little problems but have not requested a new unit yet.

Can you tell me how to download waypoints to the MapSource software?

What little problems have you had? I'm planning to get one of these this weekend... :)

Not sure with Kokopelli2, but I had zero problems/issues with mine the whole 9 days I had it...until it cooked on the car adapter cable.

If you mean from the unit into Mapsource...then simply connect the unit via USB cable and select "Transfer" (I think?) from the Mapsource menu, and pick "From GPS". That will give you options for transfering waypoints, tracks, routes, etc... to your unit.
Actually, it is Transfer and then pick "To Device" to transfer waypoints from mapsource.

You can also load EasyGPS or GSAK to your computer, and transfer waypoints from these programs, but as I understand it, they do not yet communicate with the Legend Cx. You currently have to transfer them to MapSource, and then from there to the Legend Cx

Thanks for correcting me Sputnik57....didn't have the software in front of me to be sure.

Regarding the car adapter frying the first one, what I would do is take a multimeter and check that the output of the car adapter is correct. That way you could know that at least the juice going into the GPS is what it's supposed to be and could be pretty sure that the problem was in the original unit not your car adapter. :P

Thanks for correcting me Sputnik57....didn't have the software in front of me to be sure.

Regarding the car adapter frying the first one, what I would do is take a multimeter and check that the output of the car adapter is correct. That way you could know that at least the juice going into the GPS is what it's supposed to be and could be pretty sure that the problem was in the original unit not your car adapter. :D

Good idea, just not sure if my multimeter has small enough lead ends

to get inside that mini-usb plug end on that cable. That baby is small!!!