New Sirf Iii Lt

Rhialto

Taken from gpsreview.net

SiRF also announced today a new version of the SiRFStar III chipset, the SiRFStar III LT. This GPS receiver is a mini version of the regular SiRFStar III which uses half of the power the SiRFStar III chip uses. It reportedly is just as powerful of a GPS receiver as the original SiRFStar III.

Look at this as the next generation implementation of Sirfstar III, said Kanwar Chadha, founder and vice president of marketing for Sirf. Pricing will be equivalent, and it will go into high volume phone platforms that don't have space constraints, as well as portable and other handheld navigation devices.

-----

EDIT: read the SiRF press release and more info at: http://www.sirf.com/Downloads/Collateral/P...3LTfinalIII.doc

-----

Now I wonder if Garmin will switch to this chip in the new GPSMAP "x" series? I see no reason to continu with the original chip, even more that both are about the same price.

From the 60C 30 hours they went to 18 hours with the 60Cx so this is the solution to catch up with the older model even if it won't be 30 hours, 25 hours would be a big plus (to compensate with some minus the "x" have that we are reading here since a few days).

What about everyone sending an email to ask Garmin? techsupp@garmin.com

Edited by Rhialto

ack! Why do TOPICS get reformatted? Why a capital letter on the 1st letter of every single word?

And this is not the case with the description just under... I hate that!

"SiRF III" and not "Sirf Iii", see? My effort to write it down correctly is useless.

Edited by Rhialto

I heard the "x" don't last 18 jours like written in the comparison table but are close to preivous models 25-30 hours. Anyone can confirm?

And whatever if the 18 hours is not true, replacing with the new LT would not be worse for sure.

If they are the same price, I wonder why SiRF would keep producing the non-LT one. Ok I understand they must have a few thousands unit made already but once sold? I'm curious.

Edited by Rhialto

How about giving Garmin some time? I mean the announcement was just made that the chip exist, it seems to have a different form factor that will require a redesign.

Garmin if you are listening, I'm happy with the changes you have made and would prefer that you address some of the firmware issues that have been brought up.

How about giving Garmin some time? I mean the announcement was just made that the chip exist, it seems to have a different form factor that will require a redesign.

Garmin if you are listening, I'm happy with the changes you have made and would prefer that you address some of the firmware issues that have been brought up.

The battery life isn't that bad to me. I put new batteries in about three weeks ago and will go chahe for a little 2 or three times a week. If I had to go all day 18 hours is still a long time.