Cache For A Cure?....

Kemo_Sabe

Hello,

I'm afraid you'd have an uphill battle getting this listed under Geocaching.com's listing guidelines, found here:

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

I would recommend doing this through your local geocaching organization. Or, you could write to Groundspeak for special permission.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...I figured I would ask here and see what kind of response I would get. It just seems like a good idea, but if it doesn't work out, than oh well! Besides obtaining permission, I'm haveing a hard time brainstoming ideas of how to combine the two...even if I never got permission, it's fun to think up of ideas, and what better way than on this forum. :blink:

My mom and I belong to Epsilon Sigma Alpha, a service organization that supports St Jude. Mom spends an awful lot of time thinking of ways to raise money for St Jude, and I spend a lot of time thinking about geocaching- so this thread caught my eye.

Here are my ideas:

Rather than post a "cache with an agenda" (no matter how wonderful the cause is) here on GC.com, you could do a one time only fundraising cache.

You could sell coordinates.

You could give the coordinates for free, and ask every finder to leave $ (I would make sure I knew who I was giving coordinates to...)

Businesses or clubs could sponsor caches.

In other words, since GC wants to keep geocaching free of solicitations (and thank goodness they do), you could use the game without the website. You would have to find your own cachers. You could introduce people to caching. Perhaps Groundspeak has ideas, I am sure this has come up before.

If there is an ESA chapter in your area (www.esaintl.org) the ladies will probably be happy to help.

Let me know how it goes... Mom's last fundraiser was a naked old lady calendar- I think caching for Danny's kids sounds like a blast!

:blink: So, I'm thinking about setting up a cache that supports St. Jude's...but I can't think of a way to benifit St. Judes and combine geocaching, let alone if it's allowed. So what are some ideas? And, would it be allowed?

http://www.stjude.org/

Since this is not allowed but it sounds like you want to combine your geocaching efforts with supporting them, maybe you could pick up or create some swag for trade items that supports their cause, like hats, t-shirts, pins, patches, bumper stickers, that sort of thing. I don't think this is the best venue for supporting anything like that, but that would be one way to combine the two. Also maybe include some info about them or why you're doing it. If somebody comes along and doesn't like it they don't have to take it.

:blink: So, I'm thinking about setting up a cache that supports St. Jude's...but I can't think of a way to benifit St. Judes and combine geocaching, let alone if it's allowed. So what are some ideas? And, would it be allowed?

As mentioned, you can't use Geocaching.com's resources (cache listings, forums, etc)... but here's a thought. Get friends, family and fellow geocachers to sponsor you on a cache run. Get them to donate 50 cents or a buck per cache that you log on a particular day. Take a a photographer and someone to keep notes for you and go have a great time dashing for caches. Perhaps you could get other folks in your local group to do the same thing.

As mentioned, you can't use Geocaching.com's resources (cache listings, forums, etc)... but here's a thought. Get friends, family and fellow geocachers to sponsor you on a cache run. Get them to donate 50 cents or a buck per cache that you log on a particular day. Take a a photographer and someone to keep notes for you and go have a great time dashing for caches. Perhaps you could get other folks in your local group to do the same thing.

And don't forget to send out a press release about the cache run! That way your cause will get even more exposure, and so will geocaching. More exposure=more $ for the cause. More exposure=more geocachers=more caches to go find.

How about multiple cache runners? Have a group of cachers get sponsors for said idea, and send the sponsored cachers out into the world. Either without a set list of caches, or not.