Garmin U.s. Topo 24k (parks Western Version)...

Alphawolf

I am considering buying this product. I have a question though...

I am curious how much memory will be eaten up by covering a particular area. The area in question is in Yellowstone National Park...Basically the area from the western boundary of the park starting at West Yellowstone and south to the southern boundary. Then, the southern boundary going east all the way to the south entrance highway and north on that highway to Yellowstone Lake, using the highway from West Thumb area of the lake over to West Yellowstone as the northern limit. In short, the entire south west region of Yellowstone.

How many megs. of data would this area require? Thanks.

Edited by Alphawolf

I don't know what unit you have, but I noticed a major flaw in the 60CS (this also may be applicable to the other C's,CSx's,76's.

With 24K, you should be able to view a profile along the route in the unit. The 24K is routable and you can view the complete auto-route in the unit only in the navigation mode. The route can be created in the unit or transferred from Mapsource. You can only view the profile when not navigating. Unfortunantly, when not in the navigation mode, the route in the unit appears as a straight line from point A to B. And also, unfortunantly, the profile is along this line and not the actual route.

When transferring the route back to Mapsource, it transfers not as the original route, but as the staight line from point A to B.

I find this unacceptable.

I don't know what unit you have, but I noticed a major flaw in the 60CS (this also may be applicable to the other C's,CSx's,76's.

With 24K, you should be able to view a profile along the route in the unit. The 24K is routable and you can view the complete auto-route in the unit only in the navigation mode. The route can be created in the unit or transferred from Mapsource. You can only view the profile when not navigating. Unfortunantly, when not in the navigation mode, the route in the unit appears as a straight line from point A to B. And also, unfortunantly, the profile is along this line and not the actual route.

When transferring the route back to Mapsource, it transfers not as the original route, but as the staight line from point A to B.

I have noticed this with City Navigator 7 too. I have a vista cx. When I create a route on my PC and transfer it to the Vista, it shows up as straight lines. The Vista has to recalculate the route to follow the roads. It is like it only transfers the waypoints that make up the route and not the route itself.

I have noticed this with City Navigator 7 too. I have a vista cx. When I create a route on my PC and transfer it to the Vista, it shows up as straight lines. The Vista has to recalculate the route to follow the roads. It is like it only transfers the waypoints that make up the route and not the route itself.

That is exactly what it does. The unit's internal computer calculates the route. That has been well established since the units came out. I did not know that it would not give a profile of an active route, but I don't have the 24k Topo, and I don't think a lot of users here have it either, because it does not get discussed much.

Edited by CenTexDodger