Mctoys

wandererrob

I am the owner of a McToy cache i bought all the toys new off the "e" place they were all new in packaging the ones that weren't i put into zipper bags mine is a soft toy mctoy cache ie beanies and the likes. The cache is a simple drive up to cache or a flat walk and will be monitered closely any crap removed and new stuff put in. kids are our future and if i can make a child smile with a simple cheap toy i dont see a problem as i said mine are all new and the cache is clearly stated what it is so if you dont want a mctoy dont do it.

i wemt to a cache recently and replace the contents as there was nothing but rusty and broken junk in i told the cache owner what i had done and they were very greatful

just my little input ;)

What's the old saying about 'knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing?' Kids love McToys, but materialistic adults hate them. Adults are hung up on the fact that these toys are 'free.' Add to that the need that pseudo-sophisticates have to disdain and deride everything commonplace--McDonalds, Walmart, et al are just too ubiquitous to be cool.

This post sums up my thoughts to a tee.

For all you adults that complain about the lack of good items, try being a husband and father of two kids, with a stay at home wife. Funds will not allow me to stock each of my (56 active) caches with $100 dollars worth of trades.

I have over 20 ammo cans sitting in my garage, and the key reason why they aren't geocaches yet, is the lack of "surplus funds" to fill them with goodies. I have never placed any Mctoys in my new caches, I always start my caches with items from the store. I'd love to fill my caches with SD cards, Silva Ranger Compasses, etc but have yet to see any caches with similar items.

Would you rather see more log only micros, if you can't find caches that fit your perception of worthwhile?

I think the problem I have with them is the total lack of imagination that is required to leave one.

It's kinda like instead of throwing them in the trash lets throw them in a cache.

Come on people spend a few bucks and leave something thoughtful.

I never have or will eat that c**p I also do not have kids.

I understand that some kids love them but would that not be corporate brain washing by big bussiness.

Some people like that "c**p" and some people like the toys. If you want other people to respect your opinions, you could start by respecting theirs. If YOU don't like the toys, just don't take them. Isn't that simple?

And by the way, as long as you don't take off the tinfoil hat you don't have to worry about the "corporate brain washing" by big "bussiness" [sic].

I think the problem I have with them is the total lack of imagination that is required to leave one.

It's kinda like instead of throwing them in the trash lets throw them in a cache.

Come on people spend a few bucks and leave something thoughtful.

I never have or will eat that c**p I also do not have kids.

I understand that some kids love them but would that not be corporate brain washing by big bussiness.

Cool ... I like how each line of your post is a complete sentence. :mellow: I agree with you. I really am sick of McDonalds marketing their garbage to my kids through the disguise of these little worthless plastic pieces of McCrap. Come on geocachers ... get more creative!

... I really am sick of McDonalds marketing their garbage to my kids through the disguise of these little worthless plastic pieces of McCrap. Come on geocachers ... get more creative!

But that's the beauty of having McToys in caches. If the kids want them, you don't have to go to McDonald's, just go geocaching.

Edited by sbell111

I try to leave each cache a bit better than I found it. I have a shopping bag full of McToys that we have taken out of caches, and replaced with something more interesting.

Even worse than McToys: coupons. Last week I cleaned out a bunch of wet, expired coupons for Dunkin' Donuts and elsewhere. At least McToys don't expire.

Were the toys at least broken or beat up? If not, what about all the geo-kids out there that would've found those to be the most interesting thing in the cache?

I try to leave each cache a bit better than I found it. I have a shopping bag full of McToys that we have taken out of caches, and replaced with something more interesting.

Even worse than McToys: coupons. Last week I cleaned out a bunch of wet, expired coupons for Dunkin' Donuts and elsewhere. At least McToys don't expire.

Were the toys at least broken or beat up? If not, what about all the geo-kids out there that would've found those to be the most interesting thing in the cache?

[sarcasm]

Doesn't matter. If *I* don't like McToys, then NO ONE should. After all, it's all about ME ME ME, isn't it?

[/sarcasm]

Junk in a cache is very subjective. As the old saying goes, I can't define it but I know it when I see it. Candy bar wrapper? Junk. Expired coupon? Junk. I just can't bring myself to add a simple kids toy into that same category.

We don't cache with kids, but why should I be upset if I see a McToy in a cache? Kids love 'em and not every cache needs to be about what I think is good swag. For us caching is about the destination, the discovery of new places and getting outside and having fun. I just don't see how having a McToy in a cache or even a cache full of McToys should ruin my enjoyment of the game.

One of my cache hides was stocked with lame swag. I even made a note of that in the cache description. Know what? That hasn't stopped people from searching for it and it hasn't stopped people from being very positive in their logs. Why? It is an interesting hunt in a nice place. There is more to a quality cache then what's in the container.

What's next? "Ick, that's a brand new item but it was bought at Wal-Mart -- it's crap!" C'mon cache snobs, let's focus on the fun and remember people of all ages, backgrounds and classes go caching.

Junk in a cache is very subjective. As the old saying goes, I can't define it but I know it when I see it. Candy bar wrapper? Junk. Expired coupon? Junk. I just can't bring myself to add a simple kids toy into that same category.

We don't cache with kids, but why should I be upset if I see a McToy in a cache? Kids love 'em and not every cache needs to be about what I think is good swag. For us caching is about the destination, the discovery of new places and getting outside and having fun. I just don't see how having a McToy in a cache or even a cache full of McToys should ruin my enjoyment of the game.

One of my cache hides was stocked with lame swag. I even made a note of that in the cache description. Know what? That hasn't stopped people from searching for it and it hasn't stopped people from being very positive in their logs. Why? It is an interesting hunt in a nice place. There is more to a quality cache then what's in the container.

What's next? "Ick, that's a brand new item but it was bought at Wal-Mart -- it's crap!" C'mon cache snobs, let's focus on the fun and remember people of all ages, backgrounds and classes go caching.

Exactly. Find the box and stop angsting over what's in it. If you don't like it, sign the log and walk away without taking anything.

Some people like that "c**p" and some people like the toys. If you want other people to respect your opinions, you could start by respecting theirs. If YOU don't like the toys, just don't take them. Isn't that simple?

And by the way, as long as you don't take off the tinfoil hat you don't have to worry about the "corporate brain washing" by big "bussiness" [sic].

I really don't care what people think of my opinions and reserve the right to think what I like about theirs. However you shouuld try one of these tinfoil hats, they are not so bad when you get used to them. Ease up on the fanaticism there big fella.

in my swag bag right now: 2 teddy bears, 1 emergency rain poncho, silly putty (yaaay), boot laces, 2 fox 40 whistles, a large zippy full of scout crests, assorted key rings, and 2 mini tape measures. all purchased at our local Bargain Shop or Canadian Tire. most items cost between 1-2 $$ or were free from loacal merchants (as promo giveaways ... not 5 finger discount).

our caches are usually filled with hiking oriented stuff ... budget is usually 20$. tho we only have 2 out ... we try to keep them on theme.

that said: we don't look at caching as an alternative to shopping. but if we see something unique, we are prepared.

as for mctoys: new in package ... sure. broken or misused anything: sux

but lets please keep caching on a level playing field. especially economically!!!

(BTW: we have a little mcd's teddy bear we carry to every cache ... he was picked up at our very first cache ... he was still ih his package)

Edited by canuck thistles