Mctoys

wandererrob

When I started caching back a few years ago, these fun little bits of childhood were perfectly acceptible items to leave and find in caches. But as I've come back into the game over the past year or so I've seen many who shun them. One can almost feel the disdain when the word McToy comes up in a post.

I'd almost venture that it has almost become a curse word in the geocaching lexicon.

Now personally I'm not very much one way or the other about them. I don't mind tem as long as they aren't broken, but am not going around collecting them either.

So I pose this question to the geo-collective. What is your take on them and why?

I'm just curious.

:o

My take, is something should be worth a dollar to leave in a cache. McToys are free ... and will bring you nothing on the auction block, not even a buck.

Almost all the little toys I've seen, I would not want my kid putting in their mouth, which they tend to do ... so to me, that is junk. Most of them are broken or have pieces missing. So, you take a toy that was a freebie, been used and abused, and there you go, junk.

If it's new in plastic, may make a kids day, but really, I'll take them to McDons to get their own FREE sanatized toy in a happy meal after caching and finding neat things in the caches. :o

Today I put an antique sterling silver babies spoon in a cache, it got picked up before I got home to log my visit ... point being, leave neat things and we'll have neat caches!

I dont eat at McD's, and my friend collects the ones in their original packaging, so I grab them when I see them if there is nothing else I want to trade. This is kind of like the golfball thing, so many grmble about them, yet I have read from cachers who collect them. I would shun a broken toy as much as I would a dead, dirty cracked golf ball - but then I dont like golf balls clean either...

What's the old saying about 'knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing?' Kids love McToys, but materialistic adults hate them. Adults are hung up on the fact that these toys are 'free.' Add to that the need that pseudo-sophisticates have to disdain and deride everything commonplace--McDonalds, Walmart, et al are just too ubiquitous to be cool.

We rarely trade because we can shop for things we want at stores. When we do leave an item in a cache, it's usually a GC-logo item that costs 2-3 bucks (patches, pins and compasses), or a set of bootlace locks. But the trove of trinkets contained in the cache isn't what makes a cache good--it's the location and the experience.

My take, is something should be worth a dollar to leave in a cache. McToys are free ... and will bring you nothing on the auction block, not even a buck.

Almost all the little toys I've seen, I would not want my kid putting in their mouth, which they tend to do ... so to me, that is junk. Most of them are broken or have pieces missing. So, you take a toy that was a freebie, been used and abused, and there you go, junk.

If it's new in plastic, may make a kids day, but really, I'll take them to McDons to get their own FREE sanatized toy in a happy meal after caching and finding neat things in the caches. :o

Today I put an antique sterling silver babies spoon in a cache, it got picked up before I got home to log my visit ... point being, leave neat things and we'll have neat caches!

If you really want to get technical about it, you can buy a McToy without the happy meal, and it's about a dollar (my sister used to collect the Beanie Babies when she was little). And that toy doesn't come free in the happy meal, it makes up a good portion of the price you pay for it.

I personally don't mind McToys in caches as long as they aren't broken, I just think there are "better" things that can be placed.

Edited by dshawk

We never put McToys into caches these days (we did starting and my kids have in their caches), but on our last caching trip, my daughter squealed like crazy upon opening a cache and seeing the "EXACT NEOPET I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"...an exact quote. And on the way home, as she was nursing her bruised leg and scraped arm, the only think that made the day of geocaching fun in her eyes was finding that McToy in the last cache we visited.

Value is in the eye of the beholder...I don't mind McToys in decent shape as long as you're trading them for similar items. Don't take the new mini-maglight and leave one.

Edited by KoosKoos

They're not Mctoys, but perhaps viewed with equal contempt: golf balls, particularly used ones, especially when chopped up by a lawnmower.

However, I found a cool golf ball I may have to drop in a cache, though. It's "unputtable"; when you roll it across the floor it goes in all different directions. Must have a weight inside of it, or maybe a really ticked off Mexican jumping bean? :) Anyway, it looks just like a regular golf ball so someone may pass it up. :o

Edited by bblake

We've got three wild animals, I mean kids running around our house. McToys are as common as the cold virus in our home. It's not that the McToys are free that bothers me, it's the reminder that I have to eat that garbage ever so often so my kids can get their McToys. McToys in caches are not original, it's really a sign of being a cheap scape ...

You had me at 'philosophical" :ph34r:

Philosophically speaking a McToy is an item that has some value associated with it, one must have tendered some type of monetary exchange to have received it, they certainly aren't free for the asking. I am sure some older ones have even appreciated in value, however I haven't checked eBy for them lately. I have yet to find one that was in it's original wrapping as distributed with a food purchase in a cache yet, so that does devalue them from what would be equated with a "mint" item. Most would be best described has "played with" I guess.

As far as exact value, I suppose that is up to the person that finds it. A Spiderman collectable McToy probably would have more value to a Marvel Comics aficionado whereas a Strawberry Shortcake toy to that same collector probably would not.

So, I propose they do have some value. More so than what I would describe as pocket trash that I have found in caches. What sometimes gets me is when one of my kids wants one from a cache and we trade a flashlight, first aid kit or hand warmer set etc. for it. :blink: Oh well, guess I just improved the cache by trading up.

And just a last comment on the idea of "used" toys in caches...the only thing I can remember trading for ME was the time I found a cache that had gotten wet, everything was a little muddy, but in it was a 1980s vintage Han Solo action figure in hoth battle gear!!!

I took it home and cleaned him up (used and beaten up as he is) and he proudly sits on my computer monitor now. That's been one of the coolest things (to me) I've found in a cache!!! :blink:

Most of the time our kids our kids throw them away right after they pull them out of the box. The rest of the time, they throw them away a few days later, or the next time they clean their rooms. It was a good idea back in the day, but now with all the things for kids to do and cool toys to play with, there's nothing cool enough in those meals to hold their interest for very long. I dont think that saving money on geocaching is bad at all, but I'm sick of trying to repack caches that are full of these things.

And just a last comment on the idea of "used" toys in caches...the only thing I can remember trading for ME was the time I found a cache that had gotten wet, everything was a little muddy, but in it was a 1980s vintage Han Solo action figure in hoth battle gear!!!

I took it home and cleaned him up (used and beaten up as he is) and he proudly sits on my computer monitor now. That's been one of the coolest things (to me) I've found in a cache!!! :ph34r:

Han Solo in Hoth battle gear rules. :blink:

I don't mind the McToys (new or gently used). I don't trade for them, but they don't really bother me. Nor do golf balls for that matter. I trade only if there is something I really wanted but usually don't trade at all.

Cheers!

4Hounds

I cache with a 4 year old. McToys are better than candy as far as he is concerned. I always have a supply of them in my caching backpack and will often 'fill' a cache with extras if I find that it's been traded down to just junk. I must add that I only put new, in the wrapper McToys into caches. Once they've been taken out of the wrappers, they are junk.

I realize not everyone likes McToys, but kids love them. Anyone who caches with kids would rather find a McToy in the cache than a golf ball. :blink:

My 11 year old daughter goes along with me and she is not excited by McToys, she perfers little rings,bracelets,neckalces,or small stffed animals. I have a preference for signature items or other stuff I can use. I am starting to leave old silver coins as trade. They can be bought reasonably and are a fun to find item. I think as long as folks trade even or trade up thats great. McToys(in new condition) are ok for the kids, but a good cross section of items will make it fun for everyone

Last summer, McDonald's was giving away Neopet McToys. My daughter and I are avid Neopet fans. We would *love* to find one of these in a cache! If I was by myself, I'd trade for it and give it to Little Leprechaun as a present.

To the next finder, the same item is just another stupid little stuffed animal McToy.

I try to remember this any time I see a McToy that isn't something I'm interested in collecting. Someone else will.

Try living in the New Orleans area. Most caches around here get stuffed with Mardi Gras garbage: Beads, doubloons, trinkets.

As for McToys being "free"? As a father of three, I can guarantee you that I never went into McDonalds and got a McToy for free. Also, as a father of three, when I cache with my kids, they LOVE finding McToys. As an adult, it's nothing I'm interested in, so imagine how I feel trading my BigLots or Dollar Store goodies (flashlights, usually) for McToys. Oh well. At least the kids are having fun and I'm trading up.

While we're on the subject of using "free" trade items...

I've got a dozen or more Lightsaber Spoons that we got from the vast quantities of Kellogg's cereal we eat. Talk about not wanting to put a cache trade item in your mouth! Just the same, I haven't heard any complaints about my stocking my caches with these items.

I'll toss my vote in for McToys being OK. My 8 year old daughter enjoys them. For them it's more of a treat as we don't eat at McD's (vegeterians). Since they hardly ever get these, they are quite rare to them. I imagine for those that eat there all the time it isn't as much of a treat.

Unless it's literal garbage (or generally considered "not OK") I really don't mind what's in the cache. My kids enjoy finding many different things, McToys included.

On the subject of McToys, there is a lady at my work who is small and buys Happy Meals for herself as it's the right amount of food. She tosses on her McToys into a basket on her desk. When my kids come to my work they always want to go visit her to see what new toys she has. :)

-al

.... It's not that the McToys are free that bothers me, it's the reminder that I have to eat that garbage ever so often so my kids can get their McToys. McToys in caches are not original, it's really a sign of being a cheap scape ...

Well then, quit eating the garbage to get them - and take the kids caching!

I don't have any problem with mctoys - so long as they're in the original packaging. Believe it or not, I've actually "traded up" by leaving a (new in package) mctoy. :)

Crap!! If you can afford a $150 to $500 GPS WTH you doing dropping junk in a cache. TNLN is better than garbage.

Hmmm...most of us work our butts off and save a LONG time to afford that GPSr, and I for one use the money I work for to buy food. I also happen to be a full time college student, and whenever I have extra money, it's going towards something for a class.

Many people also get their GPSr second-hand. This sport can be played by people of all social classes, money shouldn't be involved. You shouldn't expect the guy who got laid off and has two kids to stick something expensive into a cache, and if you're expecting something in the 1-2 dollar range, then why not the new McToy that costs a dollar anyway?

Also, define "junk". If you're calling McToys junk, I respect your opinion, but you've seen 10 or so people say that they enjoy a McToy in a cache so, for many people TNLN isn't better than that McToy their kids want from the cache. It seems a bit selfish, IMO, that a bunch of adults will complain about a toy in a cache just because THEY wouldn't want it, all the while knowing that if a child walked up to that cache, the first item they'd go for is the McToy.

(As noted in my other posts, I of course think that you should trade even/up, so I also disagree with the "Took Maglite, left McToy" log, but I don't think we should pass off every McToy in a cache as "junk" because we wouldn't pick it up ourselves)

Edit: clarity

Edited by dshawk
Crap!! If you can afford a $150 to $500 GPS WTH you doing dropping junk in a cache. TNLN is better than garbage.

Just because someone has a GPS doesn't mean they can just buy a bunch of good items to put in caches. I was given a $150 GPS by a very kind and generous friend once, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to recieve a GPS as a gift.

I see nothing wrong with leaving a McToy, as long as you aren't considering it as trade for something more valuable.

Mctoys are fine as long as was stated earlier they are in new or wrapped. same with golf balls. i think most people are talking about finding that Mctoy that was in the bottom of some kids toy box and instead of being thrown away it was "thrown away" in a cache. the key here I believe is "interesting" Most golf courses sell a custom ball, that would be neat to find. new Mc toys would also be neat and some do become collectables. I put in patches, I had a space patch that was taken the same day i put it in the cache. key is find something interesting to put in the cache. Not junk you would otherwise throw away.

If it's new in plastic, may make a kids day, but really, I'll take them to McDons to get their own FREE sanatized toy in a happy meal after caching and finding neat things in the caches. :)

It's too bad that kids put value on things you would consider to be junk isn't it? This game isn't just for the adults and we adults need to remember that.

I try to leave each cache a bit better than I found it. I have a shopping bag full of McToys that we have taken out of caches, and replaced with something more interesting.

Even worse than McToys: coupons. Last week I cleaned out a bunch of wet, expired coupons for Dunkin' Donuts and elsewhere. At least McToys don't expire.

My 5 year old likes to find these "toys". Neopets are something we all do too, unfortunately. But when I went to get 8 meals for a gaggle of kids over that day - during the last week of neopets - we got 8 "Woody" toys that were leftovers. Supposedly they had run out of Neopets. About a month later we went in and they had Neopets as leftovers and were out of whatever was the current promo. So I still have Woody in the packages.

Now, as far as taking them out of the packages...I did that once just to make it fit in the cache. It fit fine, as long as it was out of the plastic tray it came in. Not all of them are in nice little baggies. We have traded McBeanies for a small Hello Kitty figurine (plastic), a plastic gingerbreadman ornament, a marble...so value wise, we are trading junk for junk...AND I have seen 2 caches where the junk in there isn't worth a McToy!

Now, if we could find a polished gemstone, a quarter or some kind of horse figurine each and every time we go, then the kids would be really happy with the finds. They are finally getting a little more choosy about their trades at least.

Hmmm...most of us work our butts off and save a LONG time to afford that GPSr, and I for one use the money I work for to buy food. I also happen to be a full time college student, and whenever I have extra money, it's going towards something for a class.

Many people also get their GPSr second-hand. This sport can be played by people of all social classes, money shouldn't be involved. You shouldn't expect the guy who got laid off and has two kids to stick something expensive into a cache, and if you're expecting something in the 1-2 dollar range, then why not the new McToy that costs a dollar anyway?

Also, define "junk". If you're calling McToys junk, I respect your opinion, but you've seen 10 or so people say that they enjoy a McToy in a cache so, for many people TNLN isn't better than that McToy their kids want from the cache. It seems a bit selfish, IMO, that a bunch of adults will complain about a toy in a cache just because THEY wouldn't want it, all the while knowing that if a child walked up to that cache, the first item they'd go for is the McToy.

(As noted in my other posts, I of course think that you should trade even/up, so I also disagree with the "Took Maglite, left McToy" log, but I don't think we should pass off every McToy in a cache as "junk" because we wouldn't pick it up ourselves)

He asked for my take on them, not whether or not you agreed with it. :o Now go ride off on your high horse.

He asked for my take on them, not whether or not you agreed with it. :o Now go ride off on your high horse.

He also asked for my take, which was contradictory towards yours. Don't take it personally that I chose to examine your post and give my opinion on it. It is common practice in the forums to quote and criticize statements in this forum. What I wrote previously brings up valid points, many of which have been supported by others in this thread, from the many who like McToys to Airmapper, whose GPSr was a gift.

I cache with my 2 kids, aged 5 & 7. As an adult, I don't care as much about the swag--I'll occasionally trade even for something cool, but it's all about the hunt. However, I try to hit mostly full sized caches for one reason--my kids like the McDs crap!!! I let them do the trading, I just make sure it's relatively even. You'd be surprised how often my 5 yr old son picks the broken McD toy.

Don't get me wrong--a cache full of trash is no good either. I carry a pack full of old toys and refurb any cache I find empty or full of broken trash. Which begs another question--what is better, an empty cache or a McD's cache?

So I say quit whining about McD toys. Those who are must have forgot what Geocaching is all about. Here's a suggestion--if you don't like McDs toys, just hunt micros.

I agree with NotNutts. I cache with a 5 yr old and a 4 year old and they LOVE McToys. Most of the toys we've seen, taken, and left have been opened. The kids don't mind a slightly played-with Chronicles of Narnia character or a Spyro game that some other kid lost interest in. We trade even; take a McToy they haven't seen before, leave a McToy they don't play with anymore. Seems OK to me.

As with NotNutts, I search for Regular sized caches with the kids, for the toys. I'll go after the micro's and Virtuals on my own; the kids don't really like them (where's the toys??).

If you're not a fan of McToys, that's fine. Don't take them, and don't leave them. Someone else will find it later and have happy kids on the way home.

A few months ago I took my kids out for a long hike (1.5 miles in, 1.5 miles out). They wanted to go 'cuz it was a regular size cache that might contain toys IF we found it. The kids were getting kinda tired when we made it to the cache, and found McToys!!!! Energy came back, and they made all sorts of kid-type noises the entire hike back to the car. To me, McToys saved the experience. Now it's months later, and the kids have lost interest. We put the toys back into another cache and got new McToys! They still love cachin' and they get 'new-to-them' toys at the same time.

I know that I spent quite a bit of money and time last summer eating at BK just to get those Star Wars toys. At first I felt rather silly asking which ones they were giving away, but they had advertisements offering them with an adult meal so I know I wasn't the only one. Now I am not about to put any of my collection in a cache (duplicates maybe) but I sure would be happy to find one I didn't have. Same would be true for the handheld (Atari) games one of the fast food resturaunts had about a year ago.

Mctoys....if they are still sealed, and placed in a cache that is usually accessible by families with kids, no problem. Honestly. If they are opened/dirty/broken/used, NO WAY.JUST PURE TRASH. Also, if I am 5 miles out on a trail where it is HIGHLY unlikely for little ones to be due to distance, Mctoys/golf balls and their ilk are highly unappreciated. Please just TNLN SL and move on.

Salvelinus

post Feb 9 2006, 11:31 PM

Post #14

Wow! It gets hard to find a cache where you can trade anymore let alone debate about what to put in it. tongue.gif McToys are fine as long as they haven't been used. Kids go for them and I even give them a quick look over. Besides, they are "old school" and I'm all for that!

Salvelinus

and personally, I would rather have a box of McToys than a city of micros.

I just wish all you McToy freaks would put as much passion into saving the environment as you do defending a worthless piece of carp ... :anicute:

I defend Carp...I also defend guppies and swordtails.

Seriously...is all this debate about the value of the trade? I frequently do the TNLNSL trip because there is nothing of interest to me in the cache. I would rate however, the value of the junk in the cache as far less than a McToy most of the time.

I buy a couple of bags of polished rocks and marbles from the Gem and Minerals society booth at our local fair each year - for 1$. That could be my contribution to a cache. Somebody would come along and say, "What a dumb rock!" when it is really a quite nicely polished chunk of rose quartz. But then again, I collect rocks and gemstones.

To each his own, if it isn't what you want to trade, don't trade it! If your kid is with you and wants a junky toy, take it. If it is in your cache and you don't want it there, make it into a travel bug or something. I donate a bunch of those kinds of toys to our local Community Assistance program each time I "spring clean" the kids rooms. We already have anough trash added to our landfills each day, adding several tons of non-biodegradable plastic McToys isn't a very good idea either!

My two pence worth....

As a parent caching with two little ones I've got to agree that they love Mctoys, they really aren't that badly made and I fail to see what the fuss is all about. Whenever we take something from a cache we ALWAYS trade up, when the kids have got over their excitement at the latest toy I will place it back in another cache. There is even a cache about 5 miles from here that contains nothing else!!!

It seems that almost all folks who cache with their kids like the McToys and some of those who don't cache with kids don't like them. I have only geocached with children a few times, but from my experience its the stuff in the cache that the kids really enjoy, especially toys. I would not normally trade for a toy since I have no use for one (my youngest "child" is now 24) but I think there should be toys in geocaches. Since this is a "philosphical" discussion, I find it interesting that there are few complaints from those who cache with kids about too many adult items in caches, even though I often find caches that have no toys in them. Perhaps parents of small children have more patience and tolerance ... from necessity.

Edited by CharlieP

Mctoys....if they are still sealed, and placed in a cache that is usually accessible by families with kids, no problem. Honestly. If they are opened/dirty/broken/used, NO WAY.JUST PURE TRASH. Also, if I am 5 miles out on a trail where it is HIGHLY unlikely for little ones to be due to distance, Mctoys/golf balls and their ilk are highly unappreciated. Please just TNLN SL and move on.

5 miles? That's it? I hiked with a 10 year old on a 1 day 12 mile hike and watched him grab the mctoy that was in the cache at 8 miles in! You're second guessing the grit and energy of a kid to determine if it's worthy of the cache.

5 miles? That's it? I hiked with a 10 year old on a 1 day 12 mile hike and watched him grab the mctoy that was in the cache at 8 miles in! You're second guessing the grit and energy of a kid to determine if it's worthy of the cache.

He would be a VERY BIG exception to the rule here, I assure you. Having raised 4 children up and out into the world, and caching now with the children of others, most will not be that far out on the trail. I have no grief with clean/new Mctoy in "closer" caches, but that far out? Believe me...it would be a miniscule percentage that would appreciate such a thing. ;)

He would be a VERY BIG exception to the rule here, I assure you. Having raised 4 children up and out into the world, and caching now with the children of others, most will not be that far out on the trail. I have no grief with clean/new Mctoy in "closer" caches, but that far out? Believe me...it would be a miniscule percentage that would appreciate such a thing. ;)

It's not that big of an exception. I ran into some hikers (mostly kids escorted by adult leaders) that were on the way in to overnight at the end of a 5 mile hike. Youngest of them was 9 and had his full backpack on. Here in the northwest it isn't that uncommon. Again... you're second guessing their stamina. I'm the father of 3 and I can assure you they surprised me each time they put their minds to something when properly encouraged.

Edited by TotemLake

I think the problem I have with them is the total lack of imagination that is required to leave one.

It's kinda like instead of throwing them in the trash lets throw them in a cache.

Come on people spend a few bucks and leave something thoughtful.

I never have or will eat that c**p I also do not have kids.

I understand that some kids love them but would that not be corporate brain washing by big bussiness.