Bible Tracts In Caches?

Some people do leave them. Many people don't appreciate it and trash them out. Geocaching is meant to be a light hearted game and not a vehicle for pushing an agenda.

I often wonder why people bother leaving these things. Those who are "believers" are already familiar with the material and those who arent believers really don't give a rat's patootie about the stuff. Its not like some atheist is gonna find one a say to himself "Heck, never heard of this Christianity thing, maybe I ought to check it out".

Don't leave them - unless they are Chick Tracts. Chick Tracts are always welcome in caches. They are absolutely hilarious and I look forward to finding them.

Edited by briansnat

From what I hear in some areas it is common. It's considered good manners not to put a bunch of them in there, only one or two.

Yeah, don't stuff a cache with them, please. A large number will more than likely get removed as trash. Also, if you do put tracts in, PLEASE use plastic baggies! Loose paper items become water-soaked and moldy, ruining caches. You can probably find appropriate sized bags at any craft store.

Caching responsibly is always appreciated. Never leave a cache in a situation that will deteriorate it for the next finders. A little care taken will make a huge difference in how you are perceived, especially with what some might call controversial material.

Edited by New England n00b

How about this case. There are a few caches on the church's property. There are walking trails on the property that the church welcomes people to use. In that case if there are a few items listing the church's services and such I think that would be fair and that taking them out to throw away would be rude.

Do don't leave them - unless they are Chick Tracts. Chick Tracts are always welcome in caches. They are absolutely hilarious and I look forward to finding them.

OK, I have to ask...what's a "Chick tract"

Why do I get this sinking feeling I'm gonna feel really stupid?

Edited by Oor_Wullie

Do don't leave them - unless they are Chick Tracts. Chick Tracts are always welcome in caches. They are absolutely hilarious and I look forward to finding them.

OK, I have to ask...what's a "Chick tract"

Why do I get this sinking feeling I'm gonna feel really stupid?

Chick Tracts are tracts written by some guy (Jack?). They are usually extremely inflammatory, anti-Catholic & "Hellfire & Brimstone". The few I've seen are pretty bizarre.

To the original poster: Just in case you are new to the internet and forums in general, don't take ANYTHING online as personal. There are those who do not share your belief and 'live and let live', and then there are those that will be venomously opposed to anything to do with religion. This is why there was a nuke picture and a can of worms photo - just warning you to expect rude behaviour from people.

Since religious tracts tend to provoke people, you should think twice before putting a Bible Tract in a cache, even if your intentions are good.

Consider talking to your church about placing a cache on church property, and promote your cause in a more open manner. Be sure to get permission and cooperation from your local reviewer, of course.

Personally, I would do my best to avoid mixing politics and/or religion with Geocaching.

....I often wonder why people bother leaving these things. Those who are "believers" are already familiar with the material and those who arent believers really don't give a rat's patootie about the stuff. Its not like some atheist is gonna find one a say to himself "Heck, never heard of this Christianity thing, maybe I ought to check it out"....

If it were as simple as that we would all be the first faith.

Since religious tracts tend to provoke people, you should think twice before putting a Bible Tract in a cache, even if your intentions are good.

Yeah, whatever you do, DO NOT leave a cartoon of the great phrophet and boxing legend Mohomad Ali in the cache... it will cause one hell of a mess. :o

OK, thanks for the links....sometimes you just know you've asked a question you shouldn't have!

If you leave them as your sig item, that's fair. It's your sig item after all. Not the finders.

OH!!! Does this mean I can change my sig item to an advertisement for the Mustang Ranch and leave those? That's complete with pictures.

I find these in caches all the time here. I'm not sure who does it, but I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out before too long, just by looking at who logged and which caches have them and don't.

They're not really offensive, but I really don't like finding Chick tracts in a geocache much; they're insulting and abrasive. Personally I ignore them, and so far I haven't had too many problems with them, as finding a few in an envelope isn't exactly making me have a bad cache day.

But nobody needs to hear another "you're going to hell" lecture when they're out having fun caching. I wish people would keep stuff like that out of caches in general. It just seems so inappropriate.

Yeah, whatever you do, DO NOT leave a cartoon of the great phrophet and boxing legend Mohomad Ali in the cache... it will cause one hell of a mess. :o

Careful or you're gonna find yourself hiding out with Salman Rushdie.

Careful or you're gonna find yourself hiding out with Salman Rushdie.

stirpot.gif

Edited by TotemLake