New Type Of Micro Container...

snowfoxrox

Having just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I now have to check my blood sugar levels. As an addicted geocacher I started eyeballing the container my test strips came in. I finally used the last one and gleefully ran off with the container to my top secret geocache building lab (the kitchen table) to test it's water proofness. (is that even a word?) After being fully submerged for 24 hours my test log is still bone dry! Cackles merrily while poking through possible cache containers...Hmnnnn :huh:

Edited for spelling... sigh

Edited by snowfoxrox

I've also seen a few of these and don't recall any problems with the container, other than it's small and a bear to find.

Allow me to say that I admire your attitude. Instead of being miserable about your diagnosis, you're happily posting about new cache container possibilities. That's taking lemons and making lemonade! Good luck managing your situation and don't let it get in the way of your having fun. Seems like it isn't.

I'm not a huge fan of micros, but they do have their place, especially in the urban environment.

That is a paradigm. It’s usually due to a lack of imagination or poor planning.

Don't get me wrong, many micros are boring. But properly executed, they can be a lot of fun. Unfortunately because they're so easy to place in an urban setting, finding the good ones isn't easy.

There's one that I particularly enjoyed- not that it's anything special in terms of scenery or anything, but it's close to my house, so I hit it up. Near an old brewery that closed a few years ago. and beside a funky bridge with pastel-painted totem poles on it. The cache itself was very cleverly done- a small key box or something, painted to match a utility box EXACTLY, and stuck to the bottom of it. Yes, I'm sure they're common enough, but I was astonished I was able to find it, it had been so cleverly camoflauged.

Most of them, however- aren't much fun. Dodging traffic and muggles just to find a soggy logbook. Feh.

So far the micros I have hidden have gotten comments about how clever they have been. I try to dress them up a bit and make them entertaining in themselves. This one is going to be a particularly devious little monster! Mwahahaha

As far as my diagnosis, Hey.. it just means that I need to take a good look at my life and make some changes. Caching is good exercise for body and mind! Having something positive to focus on is something we all need!

As for the water tightness factor, I have now had it submerged for almost 48 hours and its nice and dry inside. Of course that doesnt mean that ALL strip containers will be so watertight. And I loved the mention of the lancets being used as thumb tacks!! Too neat!! Will have to play around with that!

I'll have to ask relatives if they use test strips at all.. my dad might....

My mom works as a lab technician, doing blood tests, drug screens, etc. The urine test kits they get always have 2 specimine containers, but often they only need 1, so my mom collects the extras and gives them to me. Obviously they're waterproof. :blink: Now I haven't actually placed any yet, because I really don't like hiding micros, but one of these days I might actually have a reason to use one. If you know any lab techs, you might want to ask them what they might be tossing that you can use.

:)

Great attitude! I was diagnosed in October (couldn't see worth poop and drank gallons of water a day) and Geocaching is one thing that has helped me along. The used test strip containers are 100% waterproof and I believe (Iwas told but haven't really looked) they are coated with/contain a silica like substance that absorbs water inside the container to keep the strips as arid as possible...Added bonus!

Keep up the activity, it's the best thing you can do for yourself.

-E

Team McDegga

Me too, last July. Those containers are very waterproof though a bit on the small size for logs but they will work well. I've been working on a couple of mine to use in some interesting spots.

I don't know about the idea of lancets as push pins though. Yuck! :)

JDandDD

(edit for spelling, I'll learn to check first some day real soon! I promise.)

Edited by JDandDD

Having just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I now have to check my blood sugar levels. As an addicted geocacher I started eyeballing the container my test strips came in. I finally used the last one and gleefully ran off with the container to my top secret geocache building lab (the kitchen table) to test it's water proofness. (is that even a word?) After being fully submerged for 24 hours my test log is still bone dry! Cackles merrily while poking through possible cache containers...Hmnnnn :lol:

Edited for spelling... sigh

Which brand test strip container did you test?

One Touch Ultra...Works great, and I have a never ending supply.9d_1.JPG

To give you an idea of the scale, a quarter will fit inside the top (flat) but will not fit any lower than just under the rim.

Lots of bad ideas come to mind.

BD (Becton-Davis) makes their strips in the same container. I am diabetic and proud to see you looking for ways to make your diagnosis a way to get cache containers. Good way to make yourself test often too. :)

One Touch Ultra...Works great, and I have a never ending supply.9d_1.JPG

To give you an idea of the scale, a quarter will fit inside the top (flat) but will not fit any lower than just under the rim.

Lots of bad ideas come to mind.

Yup that's them! I'm getting rady to place at least one this week! hehe.. :)