Magellan Explorist Xl Geocache Display Problem

Has anyone out there experienced a problem with the XL not displaying all of the geocache points on their screen? I can see loads of them but definitely not all of them that I created on a pocket query. It has been fine for a month. I then tried messing around with filtering on GSAK and pocket queries. Even that seemed to work for awhile.

I've:

- removed all filtering on the pocket query.

- tried generating .gs files through Magellan software and GSAK

- tried taking out the SD card, loading it directly

- looking at the .gs file with a text editor to see if the missing geocache point were there (they were)

- resetting the GPS to factory default and starting from scratch.

- tried smaller file sizes ( from 500 points to 100)

Very repeatable problem. Same geocache points are missing. Makes it look to me like I'm not setting some software switch somehwere. :huh:

Edited by JollyGreenGiant

:) Found It! Looks like I am running into a file size limit. Messed around quite a bit with hardware resets, SD card replacements, etc and then I created a sequence of .gs files ranging from 100 points to 500 points. Those file with more than 200 geocaches, won't load al the waypoints.

I've seen some posts about this, so will find out any workarounds with more research.

The Geocache thingy isn't very good anyway.

I don't agree. Granted, it's not perfect, but especially since they've added the ability to mark found caches, the Geocache points are pretty cool. Robert seems to be working on the ability to extract the time and date data with your found caches. (This data is already displayed on the GPS, but he wants to export it.)

Also, I like having both my geocache points shown as well as my normal POIs that I have displayed.

The regular POIs don't add any significant advantages. You're still stuck with 200 points (Unless you don't care to have comments). Being able to edit the points (delete them) has largely been addressed by the found cache feature with the new firmware.

Jamie

Although it's decidedly a matter of personal preference, mine runs along the same lines as Jamie's. I like being able to display a set of regular POI's *and* a set of caches, either of which is easy to toggle off. Further, I'd have to admit that it doesn't bother me to not be able to display more than 200 cache POI's at a time. I can see that it's a potential PITA to download more than one geocache file for some people, but a GSAK macro makes it a one-click snap.

Once that's done, I don't really need to see more than 150 or so caches at a single time anyway. I just need to see the ones that I am hunting for in the vicinity of interest.

I have an XL and can not mark or delete caches that I have found, other than deleting the whole file. Can you?

Oops :o

I overlooked the XL part of the topic title. The ability to mark caches as found was in the latest firmware release for the 400/500/600 and is not (yet) available for the XL.

Jamie

I have an XL and can not mark or delete caches that I have found, other than deleting the whole file. Can you?

Oops :D

I overlooked the XL part of the topic title. The ability to mark caches as found was in the latest firmware release for the 400/500/600 and is not (yet) available for the XL.

Jamie

Don :D:(:(:o

It gets a little confusing with the XL and 210 firmwares being "out of sync" with the 4/5/600 releases. The good news is that having shown up on the 4/5/600, the Found feature is almost certain to show up in the next firmware releases for the XL and 210. The bad news is that it took about 10 months for the 500's firmware to be updated (less for the 400 and 600, which were originally released after the 500).

:o Thanks Everyone. I want more cache waypoints in case I'm visiting friends, on a camping trip and want to pick up one, etc etc. I need the local stuff plus a bigger area - just in case. I know I can put multiple files in, just lazy I guess...

It's funny how you learn by working through problems. I learned that:

- My XL can't handle more than 200 caches (except as POIs)

- My XL doesn't have the same firmware capabilities of "lower end" models

- I learned just about the entire user manual

- I learned that Magellan customer support is absolutely pathetic. (sent a request in for help on this a week ago - no response yet!!!)

- I learned that there are a bunch of good folks out there that are willing to help!

Again, Thanks eveyone!!

We have a Meridian color right now and are considering an XL (we've decided it's finally time to become a 2-GPS family). :-) I think I've found the answers to most of my questions, except this one:

If you have, say, a 512 SD card, can you really load more than one map and toggle between them? We prefer Direct Route to Topo because we've found we use the GPS a lot more for navigation while driving. Direct Route caps the file size at 64mb, meaning that we need 2 maps to make the drive from our house in MS to my sister's in MD. Does anyone know if I can load both maps on the same card and just switch en route? Or do I have to have separate cards? Looked at this unit at Bass Pro Shops yesterday - the guy indicated you'd need separate cards, but consumer reviews seem to indicate not.

Thanks for the help.

If you have, say, a 512 SD card, can you really load more than one map and toggle between them? We prefer Direct Route to Topo because we've found we use the GPS a lot more for navigation while driving. Direct Route caps the file size at 64mb, meaning that we need 2 maps to make the drive from our house in MS to my sister's in MD. Does anyone know if I can load both maps on the same card and just switch en route? Or do I have to have separate cards? Looked at this unit at Bass Pro Shops yesterday - the guy indicated you'd need separate cards, but consumer reviews seem to indicate not.

He's wrong, although I think we can forgive him because he may be right regarding the new BluNav, which I think might be card-specific.

For DirectRoute (and Topo3D, for that matter), you can have as many detail map files as you want on the card and make any one active when you want to use it. For the routing situation you describe, I would create two (or however many needed) overlapping region-files, and waypoints for start, finish, and something on the route at the overlap. Then load the first region, and autoroute form start to the overlap waypoint. When you reach that, switch to the other file and autoroute to the finish. Reverse the procedure for going home.

It's a bit of a PITA to have to switch, but I always remind myself that when my biggest complaints in life revolve around having to push a few keys, things are not so bad.

Embra's right on it. I have a 1GB card (was on sale for the same price as a 512!). You can store a lot of detailed maps in 512MB. You do have to go to your Active Setup and switch maps and POIs but it's not really bad at all.

I've been very happy with my XL (besides the ridiculously poor customer service). I use it every day for driving. The bright display is very nice on sunny days. It's easy to pull out of the car when we go geocaching. (Let me put in a plug for Lobster Mounts. They make a fantastic suction mount for my geomobile windshield and their customer service couldn't be better. I munged a few parts when tightening thngs down too much and I had free replacement parts in 3 days to my house free of charge. Highly recommend their stuff)

Anyway, there's lots of good things to say about my XL but you can get all the scoop on what GPSr is better than the other GPSr all over this web site. No need to re-hash it here. Good luck with your purchase, whatever it is.

Edited by JollyGreenGiant