Mapsend Directroute And Explorist 210

rfree

Don't pay $149 for DirectRoute.

Geoff gave a link to the software for half that price. I paid $90 on Amazon about six months ago for the program.

If you buy it on eBay, as long as it's the original CD, it will work. There are no unlock codes or passwords with DirectRoute. The "copy protection" is that you have to insert the CD every time you use it.

Jamie

Don't pay $149 for DirectRoute.

Geoff gave a link to the software for half that price. I paid $90 on Amazon about six months ago for the program.

One of the retailers in that link is Buy.com, charging $69 before shipping. So it's not like you have to go through a dodgy seller to get a low price. I'm tempted to get it. Can the software experts tell me if the one they're selling is the current version of DR? They only mention the Meridian and SporTrak in the description. I'm hoping Buy.com just hasn't updated their product description.

AFAIK the current version in the retail outlets is 2.0, but Magellan is sitting on a 3.0 that I think includes USB communication capability (so you don't have to use the Conversion Manager applet for file transfers. 3.0 is only available at present on the DVD that comes with new units, requiring the $149 unlock fee. So as it stands at the moment, your choice is between 3.0 for $149 or 2.0 for substantially less.

I'd still take 2.0. Built-in USB isn't worth $75. I don't think there is much in the way of other feature enhancements (not sure). The data in 3.0 should be a couple years newer.

I purchased Directroute from Buy.com a couple of days age with a 10% off coupon I had. According to the Buy.com site this is the current version of the software. I'll let you know next Tuesday when it comes in.

ooo, can you share the coupon?

Is this version 3 or 2 because it is the same product number as the item that is selling at Buy.com.

They rarely make it easy to tell; I'm about 90% sure that's 2.0.

the part number at the magellan website ends in -03 ??? maybe that means version 3?

AFAIK the current version in the retail outlets is 2.0, but Magellan is sitting on a 3.0 that I think includes USB communication capability (so you don't have to use the Conversion Manager applet for file transfers.

Could some please further explain the benefit of the USB capability of version 3? I have the explorist 210 and wonder what benefit the version 3 would give me (as I do connect to my computer with the usb cord included). Would I still be able to use the version 2?

Does using the conversion manager cause a lot of hassle?

Could some please further explain the benefit of the USB capability of version 3? I have the explorist 210 and wonder what benefit the version 3 would give me (as I do connect to my computer with the usb cord included). Would I still be able to use the version 2?

Does using the conversion manager cause a lot of hassle?

When DR 1.0 and 2.0 came out, the explorists were not yet out. Those versions of DR could "see" a gps hooked up in serial to a com port, but they can't recognize a gps connected by USB (they can read and write to it treating it as an external hard drive, but that's a notch below treating a gps as a gps). Consequently, Conversion Manager was included with the explorists to handle that communication; the only conversion it actually does is waypoint formats, which differ in MapSend and Explorist.

DR 3.0, as I understand it, builds in the capability to see the explorist as a GPS. It will eliminate the need for Conversion Manager. That will make map and POI transfer a little easier. Using CM is not that big a deal, it's just an extra step to go through.

There's no reason why you can't continue to use DR 2.0.

It will eliminate the need for Conversion Manager. That will make map and POI transfer a little easier. Using CM is not that big a deal, it's just an extra step to go through.

I thought the folks at the Yahoo group determined that there was no need for conversion manager as it is. To date, I've only used the Conversion Manager once, and that was the first time. Since then, I just copy and paste the map files to my SD card.

The only use I can see for Conversion Manager is that it "sees" the GPS and makes the transfer a little simpler, although it takes a god-awful long time to do it.

Jamie

I thought the folks at the Yahoo group determined that there was no need for conversion manager as it is. To date, I've only used the Conversion Manager once, and that was the first time. Since then, I just copy and paste the map files to my SD card.

The only use I can see for Conversion Manager is that it "sees" the GPS and makes the transfer a little simpler, although it takes a god-awful long time to do it.

That's about the size of it. About the best that can be said for CM is that it's slightly more automatic for people who don't want to do the navigating in Windows Explorer or use GPSBabel for POI conversion.

I don't use CM anymore either. GSAK/GPSBabel is usually fine for cache-related data, ExpertGPS now can read data off the explorist directly, and NG Topo is supposed to have a version out later this month that should communicate directly, too. If Delorme will get with it then I think my ducks will be in a row.

Edited by embra

Is this version 3 or 2 because it is the same product number as the item that is selling at Buy.com.

They rarely make it easy to tell; I'm about 90% sure that's 2.0.

It is 2.00f. I sent an e-mail to Magellan to see if there is a free upgrade to the 3.0 version that was included with the 210. I'm not expecting much.

It is 2.00f. I sent an e-mail to Magellan to see if there is a free upgrade to the 3.0 version that was included with the 210. I'm not expecting much.

I was wondering this myself but kept forgetting to post. I certainly hope they do, but I'm not holding my breath. Garmin gave free upgrades last year when people bought an old version of City Select or whatever it was. Another thing where Garmin is nicer is they let you use their software with 2 receivers, whereas Magellan lets you use theirs with only one. Let us know what you hear from Magellan, jimbop.

This may or may not be a difference with other Explorists (I'll be a little surprised if it *is* different).

On my 500, menu/preferences/alarms & beepers will bring up a screen with settings for five different events, including proximity (a sort of early arrival warning) and arrival.

If you have DirectRoute on your 210, I would expect it to set proximity and arrival alarms, then return to your previous settings after the autoroute is completed.

I've emailed Magellan on this issue last week. It appears the version on BUY.COM is version 2.0 - No wonder it is only $69!!

Here is the response I received:

MapSend DVD

We have some exciting news about Direct Route v3. As some people may already know, this has started to ship with some of the units, such as the eXplorist 210, 400, 500, 600, and the eXplorist XL. This media may be able to be ordered through customer service at 866-339-0488. The part number for this DVD is 980654-04. Please note that the update only comes on DVD, so you must have a DVD ROM on your computer to install these programs. Activation is required and done via the internet, so an active internet connection must be present to unlock the maps that you choose to purchase. The updated software is only in DVD format and must have an active connection. It is not in any other media form or authorized in any other format.

Magellan Technical Support

Mon - Fri, 6AM - 5PM PST

' (800) 707-9971 USA & Canada

' (909) 394-5000 Outside USA

www.magellangps.com

I am guessing that the new verion of Direct Route V3, maybe fixed at $150 at alot of places online, but also the release may further reduce the price of Vers 2.

I've been searching for the new part number 980654-04 for DR v3 and haven't had much luck. Everything I have found is priced around the $110 - $150 mark and has been backordered or out of stock. Based on what I've seen, the online retailers probably don't have the product yet, but, are speculating that they will be receiving it soon and placed a low-ball price on out-of-stock items simply to attract customers.

Since I recently purchased my eXplorist XL not long ago, I suspect I have v3 on the DVD. Guess I'll have to drop the $150 for what I've got or wait and wait and wait...and try to get v3 on the cheap from another online retailer.

Someone mentioned on one of the Yahoo groups that Magellan is starting to sell the DVD to anyone who will pay the $149 + $6 shipping, and they will be giving a upgrade certificate such that anyone sending in their original 1.0 or 2.0 CD can get $70 back.

If that's the deal, it doesn't seem to me that one-year newer map data (that is already one year old as of now) and direct GPS communication from within the program are worth the price difference. *If* the retailers mark the DVD down enough, they might make the 3.0 worthwhile. Else I'm sticking with my 1.0.

Magellan is still selling their 2.0 software on the site (currently on backorder). I can't see someone buying it directly from them and then having to "upgrade" to 3.0 for more money. If you did it that way, it would cost $150 plus and upgrade cost of, lets say, $70 for a product that should have only cost $150 to begin with. I purchased DR 2.0 thinking it was their latest software because the product number was the same as the software they are currently advertising on their website. I think I should be allowed to "upgrade" for free because of this. I currently have an e-mail into the support department, but I'm not holding my breath.

I want to know when they'll get a preview of v3 on their website because I'd like to get DirectRoute. My area has changed a lot in the past 5 years so I should get v3, but I don't wanna spend $150. If v3 doesn't have my 6-yr-old subdivision in it, there's no reason for me to buy it. I'd just go with v2 and save $80. No excuse for roads built in the last 6 years to be missing.

I want to know when they'll get a preview of v3 on their website because I'd like to get DirectRoute. My area has changed a lot in the past 5 years so I should get v3, but I don't wanna spend $150. If v3 doesn't have my 6-yr-old subdivision in it, there's no reason for me to buy it. I'd just go with v2 and save $80. No excuse for roads built in the last 6 years to be missing.

Geognerd - tell me where your neighbor hood is and I'll snap a shot of the area for ya. If what you see will work for you, then you can buy v3 as I just did... :lol: Since this was my first detailed map, I figured it best that I start with the very latest... But, I can surely help other cachers decide if they want to upgrade or not.

Let me know...anyone else, let me know!

KSAT