Garmin Topo To Hard Drive

SAPD

I tried to find info on this via the Search function but could not find anything specific; I installed Garmin Topo today and it dis not give me an option as to where to install the map files. The program requires that I have the correct disk in when I want to go to that particular area, i.e. New Mexico requires the West disk. I would like to put all the maps on my hard drive so that I do not have to fool with the disks. I figured I would ask here before going to Garmin for an answer. Thanks for the help.

I went back about five pages because I had the same question last week. I copied this for you.....it worked for me....

Cruzin Feb 13 2004, 11:23 PM Post #7

Wardenclyffe Coil Tech

This should get you the behaviour you're looking for. I haven't done this with Topo, but I've done it with MetroGuide.

Copy each CD into it's own directory on your hard disk, i.e.:

C:\garmin\cd1

C:\garmin\cd2

C:\garmin\cd3

Install the product as normal. (skip this if you've already installed it)

Click Start, then Run. Type regedit and click OK.

Open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive, then SOFTWARE, then Garmin, then MapSource. Under the Products key, you should find some keys with numbers for names. Look around in there. You should be looking for a value titled Loc, which will be the location of the data file for that product. MetroGuide uses D:\MGWest and D:\MGEast (D: represents your CD drive). Double click that value and change it to the appropriate directory on your hard drive, i.e. C:\garmin\cd1\MGWest in this example.

CitySelect points directly to the .img file - basically, you need to look at any value that's pointing to a specific file or directory on your CD drive and change it to reflect the new location.

You'll probably need to do that three times, once for each CD. If I had Topo, I could give you exact instructions but you should be able to figure it out.

That's it! Close the Registry Editor and start up MapSource!

I tried to find info on this via the Search function but could not find anything specific; I installed Garmin Topo today and it dis not give me an option as to where to install the map files. The program requires that I have the correct disk in when I want to go to that particular area, i.e. New Mexico requires the West disk. I would like to put all the maps on my hard drive so that I do not have to fool with the disks. I figured I would ask here before going to Garmin for an answer. Thanks for the help.

I copied each disk to my external hard drive under the directory Garmin topo, then edited the registry like this:

Under HKey Local Machine:

Software:

Garmin:

Mapsource:

Products:

6,7,8,9 are keys to East, West, Hawaii, Alaska, respectively

Under each changed the pointer:

Loc:

J:\Garmin topo\East, etc.

Edited by GeoidPS

I copied each disk to my external hard drive under the directory Garmin topo, then edited the registry like this:

Under HKey Local Machine:

Software:

Garmin:

Mapsource:

Products:

6,7,8,9 are keys to East, West, Hawaii, Alaska, respectively

Under each changed the pointer:

Loc:

J:\Garmin topo\East, etc.

I don't know what all this talk about changing the registry is about I didn't have to do that. All i did was create a folder in my documents and drag all the contents of the TOPO CD to it and installed it from the setup file in that folder. I then chose the source folder to install it to.

AND Bingo! it works all 3 regions without the CD and no regedit.

I don't know what all this talk about changing the registry is about I didn't have to do that. All i did was create a folder in my documents and drag all the contents of the TOPO CD to it and installed it from the setup file in that folder. I then chose the source folder to install it to.

All well and good if you haven't already installed your maps, or if you want to uninstall and the re-install. For those of us foolish enough to RTFM and install the software per the instructions, NeoGeo's Registry Edit Technique has been a real help.

All well and good if you haven't already installed your maps, or if you want to uninstall and the re-install. For those of us foolish enough to RTFM and install the software per the instructions, NeoGeo's Registry Edit Technique has been a real help.

What is RTFM?

Edited by GeoidPS