Cache Owner Etiquette

Team Maccabee

Here's a question for my geocaching community (esp. Seattle, but also NW in general): is it considered bad form to go after something particularly enticing that's placed in one of my caches, or should I just keep my paws off the swag in my cache and leave them for my customers? And for the record, I'm considering swag, not sig items or tb's.

Team Maccabee

So what kind of "swag" are you talking about J.?

A coin perhaps?

You know, I have known Jon (Moun10bike) since the beginning of time (geocaching time that is!) ... maybe a year later! :D

His coins are precious to me. I have one on my desk (his first coin) I also have a lovely Christmas coin. I could never lay my hands on his second coin. If I found that one of those was placed in a cache of mine what would I do? My first instinct would be to go grab it. But like you said where does the etiquette come in?

In a case like this I might write MTB begging, crying and asking him if he minded if I retrieved the coin. I don't know what his answer would be.

BUT, BTW MTB... if you are out there listening.... my birthday is this summer, I can send you my home address if you don't have it! :D:D:D

If it's not a coin or such.... just something you want. Why don't you replace it with something just as nice!

I've had chances to get the elusive Moun10bike coins in my geocaches, but I've declined since I think it's bad form to raid your own cache. Only time I raided my own cache was to take some travel bugs down south several hundred miles. Also, I don't believe in going back to caches that I've found. I've been tempted...yep! Remember one time I did a cache the day before and only to have Moun10bike plant one of his coins the next day. Version 2 which I've not got my hands on yet...via finding it in a cache anyway. I've seen them in collections but I don't collect coins that way as I don't see the point since it's virtual in those cases.

Edited by evergreenhiker!

I've had chances to get the elusive Moun10bike coins in my geocaches, but I've declined since I think it's bad form to raid your own cache. Only time I raided my own cache was to take some travel bugs down south several hundred miles. Also, I don't believe in going back to caches that I've found. I've been tempted...yep! Remember one time I did a cache the day before and only to have Moun10bike plant one of his coins the next day. Version 2 which I've not got my hands on yet...via finding it in a cache anyway. I've seen them in collections but I don't collect coins that way as I don't see the point since it's virtual in those cases.

Oh John, you have always been such a rule follower! :D

I still want MTB's second edition!

Well, to confess, I have prior knowledge of particularly yummy item of contraband swag that will be placed in my Contraband Cache soon, and I am so tempted.... Of course, I would trade it out, but part of me thinks that I should leave it to draw others. I'm torn! :huh:

Team Maccabee

Here's a question for my geocaching community (esp. Seattle, but also NW in general): is it considered bad form to go after something particularly enticing that's placed in one of my caches, or should I just keep my paws off the swag in my cache and leave them for my customers? And for the record, I'm considering swag, not sig items or tb's.

By all means clean all the good stuff out of your caches and then go sell it on ebay! Other cachers just love it when you do that! :huh:

Well, to confess, I have prior knowledge of particularly yummy item of contraband swag that will be placed in my Contraband Cache soon, and I am so tempted.... Of course, I would trade it out, but part of me thinks that I should leave it to draw others. I'm torn! :)

Team Maccabee

:huh: I can't stand a mystery how "Yummy " is that item?

:) Imaginations running wild.............................

Edited by Wienerdog

May I suggest that you visit GCMMGC Calachie Lakes cache and look at M10B log on Jan. 2, 2006 and The Nav's log on Jan. 3, 200. This may help you with your decisions. -G-

Not quite the same situation -- The cache owner grabbed the coin that was placed explicitly for the cache owner, and then moved the other coin on as tb. In my case, I was considering grabbing a nice swag item that was/will be traded into the cache. I would trade for it just like any other cacher. But maybe I should leave it there as incentive to get other cachers over there.

Hmmm.... and no I'm not going to tell before it actually gets placed in the cache.

Team Maccabee

Team Maccabee

Now be careful. If do something like this the cache police will come and get you. You'll be caching behind bars.

I was leaning towards no, then I remembered that while caching people often leave geocoins as a reward for a good cache.

With a fair trade I don't see any reason not to claim that reward.

Standard sig items are left for whoever for the most part and I've never seen anyone who had any preference beyond someone enjoying their sig item when it comes to who gets it.

Now if you take more than 1, then your just a rat bastard but that's another thing.

I agree with EGH. I don't return to caches that I have already visited for swag or travel bugs.

It isn't fun for me without the hunt. If it's my cache there is obviously no hunting involved. If the person that left the item doesn't indicate it was a reward for the hider then I would take it to be an enticement for more people to hunt the cache.

And there are no rules, it's up to the individual how they want to play the game.

P.S. I have left 2 MTB ver 2 coins in caches. It's almost as much fun as finding them. Now if I could only find a Version 1.

Team Maccabee

Now be careful. If do something like this the cache police will come and get you. You'll be caching behind bars.

Rather appropriate for this Contraband Cache...

:o

Team Maccabee

Team Maccabee

Rather appropriate for this Contraband Cache...

:)

Team Maccabee

Ah, your new cache! You sneaky guy! :o

Team Maccabee

I had a M10B coin land in my cache DEAD DOLL DITCH. I lit out of the house like my hair was on fire and I feel no regret at my reaction. The thought in the back of my head was "How the heck do I trade up or trade even for a M10B coin?" Can't be done.

I do a bit of collecting so I've taken coins (Very few) I don't have, out of my caches but always left more than I've taken. To be honest I prefer to leave than take. I say, if you note something in YOUR cache that you want. Go for it and replace even Steven as best you can.

Here's another etiquette issue... Recently, when reading through my cache logs, I noticed that instead of writing a note on one of my caches, I had accidently pushed the "found" button instead. I didn't know you could find your own caches. I wonder, can you find the same cache more than once? Is it wrong to "find" one of your own caches? After all, I did go to the hiding spot. If I "found" the other caches I've hidden (I haven't), I cache totals would be 15 higher to date. I think it is okay to find caches that my son has under his name (that I helped him hide). I don't think it would be cool to claim a FTF though. Does anyone else "find" their own caches?

If I "found" the other caches I've hidden (I haven't), I cache totals would be 15 higher to date. I think it is okay to find caches that my son has under his name (that I helped him hide). I don't think it would be cool to claim a FTF though. Does anyone else "find" their own caches?

I don't think that the GC numbers will increment if you find your own cache or create duplicate finds on the same cache. I have not tested that theory however.

Unless they have changed it you can. We had a cacher in Bremerton that aways logged a find on his caches whenever he dropped off a TB or did a maintenance check. He was a newbie with few finds so I don't think he knew any better.

I knew you could log it I just didn't think it would increment the find count. I stand corrected, I just tested (on another account) and it does increment the find count. Good thing it decrements when you delete the log.

Maybe this should be a feature request. Jeremy...Oh Jeremy

I knew you could log it I just didn't think it would increment the find count. I stand corrected, I just tested (on another account) and it does increment the find count. Good thing it decrements when you delete the log.

Maybe this should be a feature request. Jeremy...Oh Jeremy

Wow, I wouldn't think that is possible, but then I don't log my own caches!.....:huh: I know I've had a heck of a time refinding a few that have migrated some distance away from the original hide when doing maintenance. Maybe I should rethink that.......might make a fun couple weeks......LOL

Back to the original question. I wouldn't go after swag or coins in my caches. You have the advantage of knowing instantly when something drops in your cache. Also, right where the cache is, so IMHO that's not ethical. The passing around of M10 coins like candy has cheapened that coin considerably. I'm glad to see there are a few left (EGH, MA) that don't bow to the current norm. Selling one on E-bay is blasphemy!..... :anicute:

Obviously we're new, but when does a cache "end"?

When you find it?....Not sure what you mean by end? I suppose if you really love the cache you could keep going back, but only log it once for a find. Then again, you could only do one cache and keep logging it........Some cache owners are MIA, so you could log that cache everyday and watch your cache totals rise!.....LOL

I'm sure some have tried this with dire consequences. The caching cops are every where watching your every move......... :anicute:

Not sure what you mean by end? ......... :)

When does the cache originator decide to pull the cache, and people no longer go to look for the cache? That's what end was intended to mean. We're new enough to not know the answrer to this question

Depends on the cache owner and cache type. As long as the cache is in good shape and people are finding it then most remain as is. Many do have problems with placement and muggles, so that weeds out quite a few. I'd be interested to know what the numbers show for placements and active caches over the past 6 years?????

I'd be interested to know what the numbers show for placements and active caches over the past 6 years?????

Lucy and Rickie stats:

35 placed in rural areas

34 rural caches still active --- 97% still active (the one archived was lost in a flood)

27 placed in urban areas

12 urban caches still active --- 44% still active (of the archived caches 6 were voluntarily archived due to maintenance, camo, or damage issues)

Total 62 caches --- 46 still active (74%) --- 16 archived (26%).

Gotta go hide more in the woods!!!!

Not sure what you mean by end? ......... :smile:

When does the cache originator decide to pull the cache, and people no longer go to look for the cache? That's what end was intended to mean. We're new enough to not know the answrer to this question

They are intended to be permanent when they are placed. However, one reason that a cache may get pulled is when it starts to affect the surrounding area. Another is if it need too much maintenance to keep it active. ANother is if the Bomb squad detroys it :smile:

No wait I put that one back...

Ok, Land R got me interested in my hide stats. The point is clear that country hides last longer:

49 career hides

30 rural--61%

19 urban--39%

38 singles--78%

8 multis (one of htem was accidentally listed as a single point)--16%

3 puzzles--6%

16 caches are now archived. Edith II and Cottage W II were removed just for it's time for others. Same thing for Wallace III. Norway Hill was removed due to logging/development. Amazingly it was still tucked in it's hiding spot...inches from a new road. Big shame they logged that hill! Others were due to vandalism of either waypoint or cache. Wallace had three versions so most probrematic site for me.

67% of total caches are active

68% of urban archived

only 10% of rural archived .Two are Cottage Wetlands caches and the other is Cherry Cache...mistakingly archived. MP found my box after I archived it. LOL. Guess I hid it too well.

Like LandR, I'm sticking mostly with rural hides.

No one will know if you take swag from your own cache unless you tell someone.

Well not really. The next person to find it can check the log and see that something was taken.

Thanks for the cache numbers. I guess I'm doing it right then with my hides. 58 hides, with 57 rural.

100% active except for one that I had to disable till the snow melts. I've had 4 get thiefed that I replaced. I have 2 hides that haven't been found. EGH, I'm disappointed you haven't gone after my Osprey Island cache at Lake Dorothy. That sat all summer.

No one will know if you take swag from your own cache unless you tell someone.

Well not really. The next person to find it can check the log and see that something was taken.

Thanks for the cache numbers. I guess I'm doing it right then with my hides. 58 hides, with 57 rural.

100% active except for one that I had to disable till the snow melts. I've had 4 get thiefed that I replaced. I have 2 hides that haven't been found. EGH, I'm disappointed you haven't gone after my Osprey Island cache at Lake Dorothy. That sat all summer.

UMMM they gotta log it for you to see it. Most will simply empty the cache and not say anything. I had 7 coins removed, unlogged, from Pocket Park Pool Parlor between Aug 28th and Sept 5th 2005. If your cache is gonna get ripped off. they aren't gonna log it.