Civil War Series Geocoins

prntr1

I got into Geocoins by finding one in a cache, there are many cachers trying to get them back into caches. The more cachers that find coins, the more coins that will get made, I hope?

So I am going to make a Civil War Series of coins, a total of 20 coins of 1000 each, trackable. The backs will all be the same, the fronts will reflect different battles of the war. The front will be 3D with no color, the back will be 3D in color. They will all be the same metal, probably pewter. The price will not be over $5.00 per coin, plus an actual shipping cost :D Probably final cost of less than $6.00 I will produce the coins two at a time to keep my out of pocket expense managable.

I will sell 900 and release the other 100 through various means.

Please post any/all comments so I can gauge interest. I will update the questions below as they are asked.

Some questions all ready answered below.

What does this have to do with geocaching? I like geocaching, I like the Civil War!!

GCRF0Z

GCKD50

GCN903

GCRGQX

GC865C

Why pay for tracking? So people can track them!!!

Will they have their own icon? Of course, maybe a different icon for each coin in the series.

Here is a link, minor changes are being made to the back of the coin.

Civil War Series Art

Edited to add some Civil War Caches

Edited by prntr1

i think i t would be interesting to have a cache placed for each event/place whether actual or virtual.. though i realize the virtuals could not be logged here. tie in the search with the history and the coin.. and put cache number with each coin.

Great idea, I was all ready going to do a little simple web page listing all the caches relating to the different battles, that may be a way to give out the hundred, anyone interested in helping with 20 new caches???

These are very nice. But they don't reflect geocaching all that much. Could I offer a suggestion....Maybe you could hide a cache in each of the battle scenes. Just place a tiny ammo box pic in the picture somewhere and see if people can find it. The coin designs are very nice and will look awesome in 3D.

These are very nice. But they don't reflect geocaching all that much. Could I offer a suggestion....Maybe you could hide a cache in each of the battle scenes. Just place a tiny ammo box pic in the picture somewhere and see if people can find it. The coin designs are very nice and will look awesome in 3D.

Another good idea, I realize that they don't tie directly to geocaching, just two interests of mine.

I'm interested in a few - my state was born out of the Civil War.

Can't remember the name of it ... but the soldiers carried their ammo in them on their belts. Sort of their version of an ammo can. Maybe that's an item to add to the artwork as Anthus suggested.

When you're ready to take orders, please let me know.

Edited by ScoutingWV

I'm interested in a few - my state was born out of the Civil War.

Can't remember the name of it ... but the soldiers carried their ammo in them on their belts. Sort of their version of an ammo can. Maybe that's an item to add to the artwork as Anthus suggested.

When you're ready to take orders, please let me know.

I'm a native Mountaineer myself, born and raised. :D

These I gotta have...... There goes my pocketbook.

You have also started something. I used to read a lot about the Civil War, and somehow haven't done so for 20 years. I see bunches of trips to the library in my future. Memries of Grapeshot, Gunpowder, and Amputations. Thanks for that nudge also, I think.

Is there going to be a pre-order list? I'll tell you how many I want.....

I could also get really silly here too on hidden caches. A pile of ammo boxes next to a where the riflemen are, a ammo box for a cannon ball.....

Nice design. I know you said the fronts will be 3D art with no color. Will the backside be color?

I'd definitely purchase 2 of each depending on how quickly each coin was released for sale.

Back will be 3D in color, red, white, blue and of course gray. If they sell quick, I will release quick, but really don't want to have preorders, or should I??? and do them all at once, that would probably lower price even more.

i think i t would be interesting to have a cache placed for each event/place whether actual or virtual.. though i realize the virtuals could not be logged here. tie in the search with the history and the coin.. and put cache number with each coin.

Great idea, I was all ready going to do a little simple web page listing all the caches relating to the different battles, that may be a way to give out the hundred, anyone interested in helping with 20 new caches???

Sure Thorny1 and I would be happy to help with caches at Chattanooga , Chickamaga, Kennesaw Mountain and Battle of Atlanta.

I'm in.... I enjoy Civil War History as well... Don't forget to include Gettysburg, PA - great place, loaded with monuments(virts).

Virginian born and raised here!!! I think we had more battles in our state than any other state in the union!

Please post more information as you know it.....I'll buy the whole set at one time (would prefer this option).

So I am going to make a Civil War Series of coins, a total of 20 coins of 1000 each, trackable. The backs will all be the same, the fronts will reflect different battles of the war. The front will be 3D with no color, the back will be 3D in color. They will all be the same metal, probably pewter. The price will not be over $5.00 per coin, plus an actual shipping cost :D Probably final cost of less than $6.00 I will produce the coins two at a time to keep my out of pocket expense managable.

These I gotta have...... There goes my pocketbook.

You have also started something. I used to read a lot about the Civil War, and somehow haven't done so for 20 years. I see bunches of trips to the library in my future. Memries of Grapeshot, Gunpowder, and Amputations. Thanks for that nudge also, I think.

Is there going to be a pre-order list? I'll tell you how many I want.....

I could also get really silly here too on hidden caches. A pile of ammo boxes next to a where the riflemen are, a ammo box for a cannon ball.....

Thinking about it, I'll have 3 coins of each.

Even if the places represented are part of a virtual how is the civil war even remotely related to geocaching? I don't get it.

Posted on: Feb 5 2006, 04:15 PM

How is that related to geocaching?

Posted on: Feb 5 2006, 10:35 AM

QUOTE(Team Maddie UK @ Feb 4 2006, 05:52 PM)

With caches to be found in 220 countries, for a cacher from that country wanting to show pride in the fact that he/she both caches and lives there justifies a country coin to me.

Posted on: Feb 5 2006, 10:35 AM

But pride doesn't mean it has anything at all to do with geocaching. Unless you put something on there caching related it seems ridiculous to call it a geocoin. The canine coins are a good example of something not really caching related that was spruced up to BE geocaching related. All it takes is adding some text and an ammo box.

Posted on: Feb 3 2006, 11:06 PM

What is everyones opinion on how relevant a coin should be to geocaching? Just recently I got 2 coins that, aside from the phrase "trackable on geocaching.com", really have nothing to do with caching. There's not even a vague refrence to the hobby they're supposed to have spawned from. It's quite dissapointing, because they're both great looking coins, but I can't really bring myself to call them geocoins.

Vargseld? ™, I think everyone knows your opinion about the relevance of coins to caching, read my original post. Thanks for your interest :D

Even if the places represented are part of a virtual how is the civil war even remotely related to geocaching? I don't get it.

I'm going to have to agree with Varsgeld on this one.

I like Ice Cream and I like caching, but I haven't made a coin as such.

I'm not here to bash you and I realize I don't have to buy these either. But you are posting in a public place and will get feedback; even if you don't like some of it. :D

I'm going to have to agree with Varsgeld on this one.

I like Ice Cream and I like caching, but I haven't made a coin as such.

I'm not here to bash you and I realize I don't have to buy these either. But you are posting in a public place and will get feedback; even if you don't like some of it. :huh:

Don't mind the feedback at all, I asked for it, was just noting that Vargseld's views are well known, I meant nor took any offense.

FYI, I think a coin shaped like an ice cream cone would do well, could call it the Ice Cream Coin!!