Civil War Series Geocoins

prntr1

We would love to get 3 sets!!But will these be like the lighthouse series where you need to be darn!!!lucky and home on the computer when they go on sale to get them???miss one and you have to bid on them pay three times the price!! or beg someone to trade one??like to see a member type sale and limited quanitys to each buyer so one buyer dosn't buy up a lot to make more moneys on..

ICE is interested.

Personally I like your thoughts on keeping them affordable and not doing them all at once like the Florida Series. We ran a poll on the Florida Series and it's not doing well. Since at least one cacher who reduced their number actually puts some coins in caches you can bet that Florida has a greatly reduched chance of being found in a cache in my area.

We would love to get 3 sets!!But will these be like the lighthouse series where you need to be darn!!!lucky and home on the computer when they go on sale to get them???miss one and you have to bid on them pay three times the price!! or beg someone to trade one??like to see a member type sale and limited quanitys to each buyer so one buyer dosn't buy up a lot to make more moneys on..

Hopefully with 1000 each they won't sell out that quickly, but obviously they will have to sell quickly in order for me to finance all of them!!!

Looks like will do 2, maybe 3 first minting, sell those, then do the next few. I don't want people that want to buy a whole set at once to have to wait too long.

Count me in for four of each, if the price is going to remain the same. Surely you will have one with the abolistionist John Brown gracing the face. I can send you a jpeg of the famous painting in the Kansas State Capitol Building if you would like. :o After all, it started pretty close to home. I think this series would be very collectable beyond the caching world, might be the brightest idea for a series of coins yet. Glen

There is always talk about coins for the intended purpose to travel. What I think we need to realise is that is not real. The intention with most coins at this number is to sell the coins to finance the series. If you want to sell 20000 coins to travel and that is the intention then you will have a very long wait to sell them. (or deep pockets)

You certainly don't need to start with that quantity. There are several coins coming out that will cost in the $5-6 range that are fully designed as travellers, there are NOT 20,000 of them being made, the initial run will be in the 1000-1500 range, they will be rerun as needed. There may be 20,000 made over the course of several years, just like TB tags.

I for one would like to see MORE coins that fit that description. It doesn't mean they wont be collected, what it may mean though is that MORE individuals can collect them without resorting to ebay pricing. And it might mean that travelling coins will actually travel instead of being stolen. It could also mean that cachers that want to collect items from places they visit can do so fairly readily if orgs get in on the non-limited coin making.

I like them too and would probably buy a pair of sets - at least one of which would be for placing in caches.

My .02 on the flags for the reverse is that one of the "official" CSA flags might be more appropriate than the Navy Jack. Yes, today the Navy Jack is most commonly associated with the confederacy, but it was never an "official" flag design (though it appears in squared form in the two later CSA flags). It appears that you have the correct US flag, you would probably surprise some folks with the correct confederate flag.

I know that it would add to the cost, but evolving the confederate flag as the battles progress would be cool too!

You have surprised me, most people don't know about the "official" flag, for those interested here is a link, how many think it should be changed?

Official Confederate Flags

I have always liked the Stars and Bars more then the battle flag.

i think i t would be interesting to have a cache placed for each event/place whether actual or virtual.. though i realize the virtuals could not be logged here. tie in the search with the history and the coin.. and put cache number with each coin.

Great idea, I was all ready going to do a little simple web page listing all the caches relating to the different battles, that may be a way to give out the hundred, anyone interested in helping with 20 new caches???

I live in Northern Virginia...spitting distance from Gettysburg, Antietam, Manassas, Chancellorsville. I'd put out new caches here where needed. Many other good ones around but I like the idea of spreading them around the country to get as many states included.

Edited by Team Weathergirl
The backs will all be the same, the fronts will reflect different battles of the war. The front will be 3D with no color, the back will be 3D in color.

For the back, did you mean 2D in color? The sample art looks more 2D than 3D. Love the art on the front side. Love the price. Hopefully we'll see some of these travelling from cache to cache! Looking forward to when these come out. I always like to see how well the 3D dies get done. Some are so awesome.

--Marky

Also I must point out that there appear to be too many stars on the Union flag.

Thanks, your correct, don't know how I missed that!!!

Flag Timeline

Hey at least it wasn't as bad as what happened recently at the sign shop where I work.

We had a customer come in and wanted a decal of the Confederate Stars & Bars to go on a 4wheeler he was redoing for his kid.

One of the other designers (A young "Cosmo type" girl just out of college) took it upon herself to just whip up a quick version of it instead of pullling one off of a clipart CD.

To say she wasn't well versed in Confederate symbols was a mild understatement!!

Imagine our surprize when this "rare" version of the Star and Bars come spitting out of the printer with a cherry red background and 25 stars!! :wub:

Needless to say it had to be redone!! :blink:

D-man :ph34r:

PS: Definately interested in a set of these. 2 if the $$ is available!

Got a bro-in-law that is into Civil War Battles that this would make for a GREAT Christmas present this year!!

Of course, he'd get the 2nd set if I can afford them!! :ph34r:

Also I must point out that there appear to be too many stars on the Union flag.

Thanks, your correct, don't know how I missed that!!!

Flag Timeline

Hey at least it wasn't as bad as what happened recently at the sign shop where I work.

We had a customer come in and wanted a decal of the Confederate Stars & Bars to go on a 4wheeler he was redoing for his kid.

One of the other designers (A young "Cosmo type" girl just out of college) took it upon herself to just whip up a quick version of it instead of pullling one off of a clipart CD.

To say she wasn't well versed in Confederate symbols was a mild understatement!!

Imagine our surprize when this "rare" version of the Star and Bars come spitting out of the printer with a cherry red background and 25 stars!! :)

Needless to say it had to be redone!! :lol:

D-man B)

PS: Definately interested in a set of these. 2 if the $$ is available!

Got a bro-in-law that is into Civil War Battles that this would make for a GREAT Christmas present this year!!

Of course, he'd get the 2nd set if I can afford them!! :)

Kinda off topic here, but I worked at a shop that printed 50,000 Mississippi guide maps that said "We hope you enjoy your visit to Missippi"

:):laughing::laughing:

Just got the first ten coins approved by Groundspeak and have gave the go ahead on getting dies made, look for ordering information soon. I am having the first two minted and then will go from there. Thanks for all the feed back

Made some slight changes on the back side of the coin per requests.

17dba2eb-f21a-4658-8f05-7f2fb8859d4d.jpg

Pricing looks good at $4.50 each, am considering, also per requests, an LE edition for collectors priced only slighty higher due to special handling.

These are great designs but they have nothing to do with geocaching.

To solve this problem allow me offer the following: Start a Cvil War geocaching series. Place a cache at/near (as proper) each of these battlefields. You can simply put the waypoint name of each cache on the related coin. In the end we would get a wonderful series of Civil War related caches with some great history attached and have a great series of relivent geocaching coins to go along with them.

As-is I am not interested.

These are great designs but they have nothing to do with geocaching.

To solve this problem allow me offer the following: Start a Cvil War geocaching series. Place a cache at/near (as proper) each of these battlefields. You can simply put the waypoint name of each cache on the related coin. In the end we would get a wonderful series of Civil War related caches with some great history attached and have a great series of relivent geocaching coins to go along with them.

As-is I am not interested.

See starting at post #5, that's kinda the plan, do you live near one of the sites?

When will the rest be on sale? I grabbed two regulars (one of each already).

I can't afford to do all at once, and did not think it was right to ask people to prepay for something that very well may take 3-4 months, depending on sales.

Good answer, time frame on #3 & 4? That way I know when to look - I hate to have missing pieces to a set... :D They look great though and I'm glad you pursued the idea!

When will the rest be on sale? I grabbed two regulars (one of each already).

I can't afford to do all at once, and did not think it was right to ask people to prepay for something that very well may take 3-4 months, depending on sales.

Good answer, time frame on #3 & 4? That way I know when to look - I hate to have missing pieces to a set... :D They look great though and I'm glad you pursued the idea!

Hopefully these will sell quickly, when I get to the point the first two are covered, I will do the next two. Sorry can't be more specific than that. But I will keep you updated :D

I agree with some kind of limit. I had originally asked for 6 sets of each coin. 2 for my collection, 4 for gifts and caches. I was only able to get 3 of each LE, at the last moment (by the looks of it) so I only got 3 of the regulars to keep the sets equal. I will have to think about getting more for caches. But if the code goes to everyone that ordered this time around, the person who ordered a lot will get the same code.

Looks like a dealer bought half of each of the LE's ... that's nice

Great, that's what I hoping to avoid with this series and another that I'm waiting on a sale of. Is there a way to restrict quantity???? Sigh. Hopefully the code tht allows us to purchase another coin that goes on sale soon won't be passed around. :D

I just refunded their money, due to my error, the limit of 10 LE coins per buyer was not listed, I apologize to the buyer and anyone else my error may have offended :D