Who Is Watching My Cache?

gntlmnjim

Better yet keep posting random and weird notes on the page and either A- they will email you and find out whats up or B- drop it from the watchlist....so maybe not your best bet.

Los pingüinos están en el wáter.

Der Drachen besteht darauf, dass wir ihm eine Jungfrau als Opfer bringen, anderenfalls wird er das Dorf völlig niederbrennen.

Stoplights are like bananas. Green means Go, yellow means slow, and red means stop. Well, Bananas are the opposite. Green means stop, yellow means slow, and red means WHOAH, WHERE DID YOU GET THET BANANA!

All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom.

Those ought to get someone's attention. :huh:

Then only caches we watch are unresolved DNF's. I think a lot of people do that.

Perhaps one of the moderators could answer this, however. Most caches seem to have 2 watchers, and quite a few have 1 watcher. Does the cache owner automatically count as a watcher? Does the approver generally have the cache on his/her watchlist? In other words, if a cache has 2 watchers, would it be safe to assume that the watchers are the owner and the approver?

Then only caches we watch are unresolved DNF's. I think a lot of people do that.

Perhaps one of the moderators could answer this, however. Most caches seem to have 2 watchers, and quite a few have 1 watcher. Does the cache owner automatically count as a watcher? Does the approver generally have the cache on his/her watchlist? In other words, if a cache has 2 watchers, would it be safe to assume that the watchers are the owner and the approver?

No, the cache owner is not included on the number watching. Nor is the Reviewer unless they put it on their watchlist.

Your friendly forum Noderator :huh:

Edited by Airmapper

Airmapper the "Noderator" gives a correct answer. :huh:

Some volunteer cache reviewers make it a habit to watchlist any cache that they publish, so that the logs from early finders will let them know quickly if there is some sort of problem with the cache (bad coordinates, angry neighbors, etc.). I see you live in Pennsylvania, where I am one of the cache reviewers. The Pennsylvania cache reviewers do NOT automatically watchlist the caches they publish. So, those one or two watchers are not the owner or the reviewer.

When I have a reason to be monitoring a cache in my review territory, I put it on one of several bookmark lists that are not "public." You'd never know whether I am getting copies of all the logs on your cache. :) The availability of bookmark lists is one of the reasons why looking at the number of watchers, or finding out who they are, are arguably not useful exercises.

When I have a reason to be monitoring a cache in my review territory, I put it on one of several bookmark lists that are not "public." You'd never know whether I am getting copies of all the logs on your cache. :) The availability of bookmark lists is one of the reasons why looking at the number of watchers, or finding out who they are, are arguably not useful exercises.

GC's equivalent of "Big Brother" :huh:

Sometimes I think Cache Maggots watchlist TBHotels so they can raid it whenever there's a new guest! :huh:

Thinking about that, I'd like to be able to know who's watching my cache.

Is there a reason NOT to have that info available? In what instances would someone really CARE that the cache owner knew who was watching? I know that I, for one, certainly wouldn't care if any of the cache owners knew that I was watching their cache! Any other ideas/opinions on this?

Happy Caching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

Better yet keep posting random and weird notes on the page and either A- they will email you and find out whats up or B- drop it from the watchlist....so maybe not your best bet.

Los pingüinos están en el wáter.

Der Drachen besteht darauf, dass wir ihm eine Jungfrau als Opfer bringen, anderenfalls wird er das Dorf völlig niederbrennen.

Stoplights are like bananas. Green means Go, yellow means slow, and red means stop. Well, Bananas are the opposite. Green means stop, yellow means slow, and red means WHOAH, WHERE DID YOU GET THET BANANA!

All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom.

Those ought to get someone's attention. :huh:

ROFL!!!! I'll try that and see how it goes. :)

Sometimes I think Cache Maggots watchlist TBHotels so they can raid it whenever there's a new guest! :o

Thinking about that, I'd like to be able to know who's watching my cache.

Is there a reason NOT to have that info available? In what instances would someone really CARE that the cache owner knew who was watching? I know that I, for one, certainly wouldn't care if any of the cache owners knew that I was watching their cache! Any other ideas/opinions on this?

Happy Caching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

"Is there a reason NOT to have that info available?"

Your message is a good reason why. People should be able to watch a cache without coming under suspicion if something happens to that cache. If someone wants to keep tabs on the contents of cache, there are far stealthier methods than a watchlist (PQs or bookmarks for example).

I think a lot of the urban caches are being watched by cachers who live nearby and want to know when a cool travel bug or coin is dropped off in the cache so they can make a quick grab.

The rural caches are watched because many of these are the more challenging caches and cachers want to hear about other cachers' struggles to find them!

If someone wants to keep tabs on the contents of cache, there are far stealthier methods than a watchlist (PQs or bookmarks for example).

Boy, that shows you how stealth-savvy I am... never thought about that! For that matter, I haven't even learned to master PQ's!! :blink:

Thanks for educating me!

Happy Caching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5