Where To Put A Cache?

I'm assuming this is your first cache. Both areas can be great. To make the best choice, you probably should ask youself some questions:

-Will it be easy to maintain?

-What kind of people do I want to attract (i.e. families, hard core cachers)?

-How hard or easy do I want to make the terrain and difficulty?

-Will the location meet the guidlines for a cache placement (i.e. not to close to RR tracks)?

-Do you have a preference as to the type and size cache (i.e. multi, puzzle, night, micro, regular)?

-Do you want a lot of travel bug traffic?

-Is imprtant to be dog friendly? Bike friendly?

Once you answer these questions it will should become apparent as to where you should place your cache. A Google search in your area (parks, land trust, water falls, letter boxing) can reveal other options you may not have considered. Be sure to check on-line topography maps for possible issues - just because you went a particular way to a cache does not mean others will go the same way. Also, it's a good idea to provide coordinates for parking and the trailhead if appropriate.

The most important thing is not to angusih to much about it. As the Niki commercials say: Just do it.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy the adventure! :mad:

I see that you haven't found any caches yet. My first recommendation is that you *find* a few caches in parks and in cemeteries to get an idea of what a geocache is like, and how they are hidden.

The next issue is permission. In your profile, you list your location as "Columbus." If you meant Columbus, Ohio, then you'd want to know that the large Franklin MetroParks in your area have a very restrictive policy about geocaching:

-- one cache per park per person

-- all caches must be checked by the owner *bi-weekly*

-- no ammo boxes, clear containers only

-- permits expire on 12/31 each year

-- caches must be within three feet of a trail or in an area otherwise designated as acceptable

Reading this, I hope you'll agree that being aware of land manager policies is very important. A good way to do this would be to join your local geocaching organization, and ask veterans about the lay of the land. In general, smaller suburban parks tend to be less regulated than state parks and county parks. Ohio State Parks, for example, also has a permission policy, but it is much more friendly than the example I described above.

Cemeteries are a special category. It is very important to be respectful, and not place a geocache too close to a grave where it might be discovered by someone who would take offense. Hiding the cache in the woods behind the cemetery is a safer bet. And, nothing beats asking the caretaker or cemetery owner for permission so that there is no misunderstanding.

well its me flapjacks123

i switched so i wont be using flapjack any more

Why does my post say ringbone? :D

(sorry, inside joke, but I couldn't resist)

You can find plenty of information on local regulations at the home of the Texas Geocaching Association: TXGA

Welcome to the madness!

edit: to quote the post I meant to include...dang forum upgrades!

Edited by KoosKoos

I agree on trying to find some caches first, I have gotten some great ideas from caches I have been to. Check the page where the cache information is and make certain you visit a micro, a small cache, a traditional-regular cache, a puzzle cache...there are so many. Some have themes, some don't. When reading your post I was reminded of one cache that did use a stump and the tupperware container was put into the middle of the stump and a stick which fit perfectly into the hole the cache was in, was put on top of the cache. The stick was perfect, it was large in diameter and unless you really looked at it, nobody could tell that the stick was not part of the broken top of the stump. Good luck, welcome to the sport/game.