Delorme Handheld Is Almost Here.

gpsjeep

Wonder why the Bushnell site didn't show any TOPO demos? Would be nice to see what that unit looks like in TOPO mode.

I went over to the DeLorme site and looked @ their boards.....most of what I heard was it's coming.....gonna be great....etc. Well, I listened to them when they were talking about their Street Atlas 2006HH and Topo USA 6.0.....about how wonderful it looked.....and worked.....well....when I installed it on my PC I was amazed! Started getting happy feet.......looking forward to getting this puppy onto my PDA and getting out there using it...... What a waste of time...... They don't tell you that you can't zoom to the higher levels......(or Closer to the ground)....... My estimate is the closest you can get to the ground is about 5000ft. And that just won't cut it for me. Or the fact that the program is very slow and jerky. Just be careful....their advertising is a lot better than their products in most cases...... Check out their forums....the posts speak for themselves.

Wonder why the Bushnell site didn't show any TOPO demos? Would be nice to see what that unit looks like in TOPO mode.

I went over to the DeLorme site and looked @ their boards.....most of what I heard was it's coming.....gonna be great....etc. Well, I listened to them when they were talking about their Street Atlas 2006HH and Topo USA 6.0.....about how wonderful it looked.....and worked.....well....when I installed it on my PC I was amazed! Started getting happy feet.......looking forward to getting this puppy onto my PDA and getting out there using it...... What a waste of time...... They don't tell you that you can't zoom to the higher levels......(or Closer to the ground)....... My estimate is the closest you can get to the ground is about 5000ft. And that just won't cut it for me. Or the fact that the program is very slow and jerky. Just be careful....their advertising is a lot better than their products in most cases...... Check out their forums....the posts speak for themselves.

Wow. You might want to go back and read the post after yours.

After having read about both the Bushnell is crap and the Delorme has potential. Even if your opinion is vice versa, the odds are they won't live up to the potential out of the gate.

Most things never do.....but if you go to the Delorme site and take a look around at their forums.....especially the TOPO 6.0 and Street Atlas 2006 and 2007........nothing but problems.... especially when you combine them on a handheld.... Don't know about the Bushnell......but I DO know about the DeLorme....first hand....They got a lot of improving to do for a lot of people.....

DeLorme may know mapping, but they don't know diddly-squat about putting them on PDAs, and perhaps not about on GPS. I have SA07 installed, and it's pretty much worthless on my Palm. It takes forever to just find an address or waypoint in my addressbook, and forever and two days to finally generate a route. Mapopolis generates an entire route and is ready to go before SA07 even finds the start address. The display is poor, the position jumps around the screen instead of staying centered, even though it's supposedly set to do that. The PC interface is clunky and unintuitive. It might work for realtime mapping on a laptop, but I haven't tried that yet. I downloaded some of the ADPs, and they're not worth much. Very, very old b/w aerial photos, and the satellite imagery is so lo-res that it's useless. I'm very disappointed with the whole program, but hey, it was a gift, so I guess I won't look the horse in the mouth, but I won't spend any money on any upgrades, nor on their GPS.

DeLorme may know mapping, but they don't know diddly-squat about putting them on PDAs, and perhaps not about on GPS. I have SA07 installed, and it's pretty much worthless on my Palm. It takes forever to just find an address or waypoint in my addressbook, and forever and two days to finally generate a route. Mapopolis generates an entire route and is ready to go before SA07 even finds the start address. The display is poor, the position jumps around the screen instead of staying centered, even though it's supposedly set to do that. The PC interface is clunky and unintuitive. It might work for realtime mapping on a laptop, but I haven't tried that yet. I downloaded some of the ADPs, and they're not worth much. Very, very old b/w aerial photos, and the satellite imagery is so lo-res that it's useless. I'm very disappointed with the whole program, but hey, it was a gift, so I guess I won't look the horse in the mouth, but I won't spend any money on any upgrades, nor on their GPS.

Try using upgrading to software written in this decade.