Delorme Handheld Is Almost Here.

gpsjeep

I've posted links to this in the past. Mainly because I like the Delorme maps. If only Magellan or Garmin had quality Topo maps like Delorme.

I found another link on Gpsreview that talks a little more about Delorme's soon to be release handheld GPSr. It also includes a picture of it. It looks to be quite promising.

http://www.gpsreview.net/delorme-earthmate-gps-pn-20/

I know every GPSr has it's drawbacks. They're all great, they all stink, it's a love/hate relationship. At least they'll be using new technology and I'm sure they just might give Magellan and Garmin a run for the money.

-Jeff

It would be nice if they offered it without the software since I already own an Earthmate with DeLorme's Street Atlas 2006 sofware. I also have 2005, 2004, 2003, SA Deluxe and just the regular old version of Street Atlas. I think I also have Topo USA laying around here somewhere.

For $300 and the newest version of Topo 6.0 is not bad at all.

It would be nice if they offered it without the software since I already own an Earthmate with DeLorme's Street Atlas 2006 sofware. I also have 2005, 2004, 2003, SA Deluxe and just the regular old version of Street Atlas. I think I also have Topo USA laying around here somewhere.

For $300 and the newest version of Topo 6.0 is not bad at all.

No its not bad at all but I already own all the software I need.

I'm in agreement with KevinK7. I hope Delorme gives the G&M consortium a run for their money. I own, use & like several Delorme products (Topo USA, 3D Topo Quads [several rev's]). Delorme knows mapping, that's for sure. My one big complaint with my Magellan Meridian & Mapsend Topo has always been the lack of "registration". That is, items on map internal GPS map are not really where they should be.

Things I hope Delorme does right:

1) Enough internal memory storage space (or SD card?) to put in AT LEAST southern half CA

2) Compatibility with common Geocaching software (e.g. GSAK, PhotoUSA, etc.) Latest NMEA interface protocol ought to do it.

3) Electronic Compass vesion in the future? (not likely in one for $300).

4) Lots of waypoint storage. Either file backup to SD (like Meridian) or AT LEAST 1000 waypoints.

5) Good quality transflective screen

Hope they've got some or most of these. It will be interesting....

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

Link

Earthmate® GPS PN-20

At last, people who want to use DeLorme mapping software on a handheld GPS can finally do so. Earthmate GPS PN-20, also powered by ST Microelectronics and SiGE chip technologies, is DeLorme’s first GPS with a built-in screen.

A central problem facing handheld GPS users is the difficulty and expense of displaying high-quality maps on their devices. DeLorme, a leading provider of mapping software to consumer and professional markets, has designed a dedicated GPS specifically to optimize the display of DeLorme mapping content.

The Earthmate GPS PN-20 supports routing and tracking on the device. Users can also download maps and routes from these DeLorme desktop software products: Topo USA® 5.0, Street Atlas USA® 2005, XMap® 4.5, XMap GIS Editor, and a new worldwide software program planned for release later in the year. Topo USA and XMap product users will also be able to access DeLorme Aerial Data packets containing aerial photos, satellite images, and USGS 7.5-minute quad maps.

The Earthmate GPS PN-20 is compact and ruggedly built to withstand weather and the rigors of outdoors. It has large buttons for ease of use, and a high volume 10,000 data point capacity.

The Earthmate GPS PN-20 will have a target retail price of $199.95 for the device and included world base map software. The anticipated price for the Earthmate GPS PN-20 with DeLorme Topo USA 5.0 software, providing full U.S. topographic coverage, is only $299.95. This price includes $50 worth of Aerial Data Packet downloads.

Taken from another page from the same website. $200 bucks stand alone!!

It states near the end that it comes with 5.0, I would imagine that should be 6.0.

Wow, if I read the ad right, does it mean you can store 10,000 (as in TEN THOUSAND) waypoints? Wow!!!!!!!

As I noted in the other forum on this GPS, I wonder if it will have SiRF, and if so SiRF III. I think this may be Taiwanese company Holux's 2nd attempt into introducing a handheld to the US market (they make the receivers that come with the DeLorme software that you attach to your laptop). If you go to their website www.holux.com, you'll see that they're really big on SiRF technology.

Having read about it, it looks like once again someone has the right idea but stops short of doing a good job with it.

The screen is too small and the maps too large of a scale. Topo USA may be a fine product but it's not Quad Maps and that's the detail everone wants to get in their GPS.

The price though is about right.

This is a ho hum entry that will not set the GPS world on fire. Too bad. We could use some good competition.

Very interesting and the price seems good although the screen does seem kind of small. It's a subjective matter but I found it sort of ugly too. (Thats just a first impression though.)

On the subject of maps, the review states: "You can also import gps tracklog information on DeLorme’s Aerial Data Packet (ADP) imagery, which includes aerial photos, satellite images, and USGS 7.5-minute quads. These can be viewed in 3D on the desktop." I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I read this as meaning you can view USGS quads on your desk top, not paticuarly on the GPS.

Topo USA and XMap product users will also be able to access DeLorme Aerial Data packets containing aerial photos, satellite images, and USGS 7.5-minute quad maps.

Will this not do?

I stand corrected. That will do very nicely. Give me a larger screen, gobs of memory, routing and I'm in.

Link

DeLorme to introduce Earthmate GPS PN-20 Handheld receiver

The landscape and boundaries of the handheld GPS market are about to change dramatically. DeLorme, America’s leader in laptop GPS technology, will introduce its first handheld GPS device this year with the launch of the Earthmate GPS PN-20.

The announcement came today, on the eve of the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. DeLorme unveiled the Earthmate GPS PN-20 during the PepCom Digital Experience media event at the Bellagio Hotel.

During the show itself, scheduled for January 5-8 at the Las Vegas Convention Center, the device will be on display at the LeadTek exhibit, South Hall 4, Booth 36524.

Scheduled for release in mid-2006, the Earthmate GPS PN-20 will be the only handheld receiver on which users can run DeLorme’s best-selling mapping software, including Topo USA® 6.0 and future releases of the Street Atlas USA® product line.

Designed to Optimize DeLorme Mapping Content

The Earthmate GPS PN-20 will resolve a central problem facing handheld GPS users—the difficulty and expense of displaying high-quality maps on their devices. DeLorme has designed this receiver specifically to optimize the display of DeLorme mapping content, and to maintain core desktop capabilities such as routing and annotation.

“In recent years, there has been steadily mounting demand for the ability to display DeLorme maps on a color-screen handheld GPS receiver,” said Caleb Mason, Director of Marketing for DeLorme.

“With the Earthmate GPS PN-20, we have maintained our long-standing commitment to innovation, high-end capabilities, and exceptional consumer value.”

On-Device Routing

In addition to standard handheld GPS capabilities, the Earthmate GPS PN-20 will support on-device routing. Using DeLorme’s proprietary software, users can also create routes on their desktop or laptop PC and transfer them to the device. Routes, waypoints, and tracks can be exchanged between receiver and computer with ease, using the standard GPX format popular among outdoors enthusiasts and geo-cachers.

Users will also be able to import, route, and track on DeLorme’s Aerial Data Packet (ADP) imagery, which includes aerial photos, satellite images, and USGS 7.5-minute quads. The maps and ADP imagery may both be viewed in realistic 3-D on the desktop, with full 2-D routing and tracking capabilities on the GPS.

The Earthmate GPS PN-20 comes with an ample 2” by 2” screen, with high visibility settings for easy viewing in any conditions. It is waterproof for up to 30 minutes in one meter of water (IPX7 rating) and ruggedly built to withstand weather and the rigors of outdoor use.

WAAS-enabled for accuracy to within three meters, the Earthmate GPS PN-20 boasts a high volume 10,000 data point capacity. It is powered by ST Microelectronics and SiGE chip technologies for worry-free reliability, and comes equipped with a long-life, re-chargeable lithium ion battery; the device will also run on standard AA batteries.

DeLorme has designed the Earthmate GPS PN-20 for a comfortable grip, with large buttons for ease of use. An exceptional value, it carries a suggested retail price of just $299.95, with Topo USA 6.0 national edition software on DVD included.

Getting there. The eTrex has a 2.1x1.1 screen (would be nice to a little bit larger screen though) and I can't find any info if it will come with a card or not but I'll have to dig around some more.

After seeing the posts about the screen being too small, I did a little research. According to the manual (no ruler handy), the screen on my eXplorist 400 measures 1.8" x 1.4". I think it's plenty big, and I've rarely heard anyone complaining about the eXplorist's screen being too small. So a 2" x 2" screen seems pretty darned big to me.

I am encouraged by Delorme's entry. I think the key to the industry is who can come out with the best digital maps. The raster maps of Delorme and others are O.K. for general use, but not for GPS. The key is the integration of auto-routing of roads and trails with digital topo with navigation abilities of City Select/Navigator.

For auto navigation, this would give true 3D views. For the hiker, the currently limited areas 24K topos are good, don't cover the rest of the areas but navigate trails well, but not roads outside the coverage.

It states near the end that it comes with 5.0, I would imagine that should be 6.0.

I can clarify this. Initial news of the device came out over a year ago. At that time I believe 5.0 was current. So at the time the information was written the device was planned to have version 5.0. Thus when it is released I expect it will have whatever version is current at that time.

After seeing the posts about the screen being too small, I did a little research. According to the manual (no ruler handy), the screen on my eXplorist 400 measures 1.8" x 1.4". I think it's plenty big, and I've rarely heard anyone complaining about the eXplorist's screen being too small. So a 2" x 2" screen seems pretty darned big to me.

The thing about screen size is that bigger is almost always better until you reach the point where you can't see all of the screen (like sitting 2" in front of the TV).

GPS Makers, PDA Makers etc. should get in the habit of putting the largest screen on their gizmo's as the physical dimensions of the device will allow. The 76CS went backwards from the prior generation GPS. I think the screen on the 76CS too small.

This device has a larger screen but smaller than the casing would allow. Shrink the casing and you can keep the current screne size while making the GPS is easier to carry. Or make it bigger and maximize readability and map detail while keeping the same size GPS.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I also hope it will work with a Mac.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Wile I'm hopeful Garmin's announced support of OS X will convince other GPS manufacturers to support the platform I have not seen any indications DeLorme will. None of their current products support Mac and I haven't seen them advertising Mac developer jobs.

Regarding the Aerial Data Packets, and the USGS topo quads which they contain, bear in mind that these are purchased as separate downloads from the DeLorme site. It's true, however, that $50 worth of them come included with Topo USA 5.0 (i.e., you can download up to $50 worth from DL before you need to provide some means of paying for any more).

I believe that it might be referring to 10,000 track points... not Waypoints. The Garmin GPSMap 60C and 76C series will manage 1,000 Waypoints and 10,000 Track Points.

I'd say that that's a reasonably safe assumption since that is what is stated in the linked review. "The device comes with a 2 inch by 2 inch screen and is waterproof to IPX7 standards. It is WAAs enabled and can store 10,000 track points. The device is expected to sell for $299 and ships with DeLorme’s Topo USA product. " <_<:lol::lol:

Edited by Team Cotati

On the subject of maps, the review states: "You can also import gps tracklog information on DeLorme’s Aerial Data Packet (ADP) imagery, which includes aerial photos, satellite images, and USGS 7.5-minute quads. These can be viewed in 3D on the desktop." I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I read this as meaning you can view USGS quads on your desk top, not paticuarly on the GPS.

My understanding is that the PN-20 will allow you to view both vector and raster maps, so yes, you should be able to use USGS quads and aerial photos on the GPS itself. We've had these capabilities for years on PDAs, but this would be the first consumer-level ruggedized GPS to accept raster imagery. I beleive the desktop reference is to 3-D.

DeLorme could have a very nice product here. There is one downside though. Their aerial data packets cost $1 per square KM. The average USGS quad is 60 square miles or 155 KM. That's $155 per quad! Changing the pricing model of their ADP's could help make the PN-20 a popular piece of hardware.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

Hello,

Very newby to all this. We recently purchased an iFinder Go! to try out GeoCaching - we love the caching - not too crazy about iFinder though. It seems to be easily confused in heavy tree cover (in Vermont everywhere is heavy cover). Anyway I've been thinking about getting a different GPSr - one with serf III - based on what I've read in these fourms it seems one of these units will be better suited for the terrain we cache in most. I am intrigued by the possibility of a Delorme unit because I've used their software for years. I was just searching online and found this:

http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/sif/sif178.html

Part of the article says:

"SiGe Semiconductor today announced that the SE4100L GPS radio has been integrated into DeLorme's Earthmate navigation products. The Earthmate family of products includes PC-based and handheld GPS devices that support high performance consumer and professional location services. The latest DeLorme device to benefit from SiGe's SE4100L GPS receiver is the Earthmate GPS PN-20 handheld receiver."

It is dated May 16, 2006. I don't know anything about any of this - is this a serf III chipset, or will it at least offer the same funtionality?

Thanks

GeoSweets

Hello,

Very newby to all this. We recently purchased an iFinder Go! to try out GeoCaching - we love the caching - not too crazy about iFinder though. It seems to be easily confused in heavy tree cover (in Vermont everywhere is heavy cover). Anyway I've been thinking about getting a different GPSr - one with serf III - based on what I've read in these fourms it seems one of these units will be better suited for the terrain we cache in most. I am intrigued by the possibility of a Delorme unit because I've used their software for years. I was just searching online and found this:

http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/sif/sif178.html

Part of the article says:

"SiGe Semiconductor today announced that the SE4100L GPS radio has been integrated into DeLorme's Earthmate navigation products. The Earthmate family of products includes PC-based and handheld GPS devices that support high performance consumer and professional location services. The latest DeLorme device to benefit from SiGe's SE4100L GPS receiver is the Earthmate GPS PN-20 handheld receiver."

It is dated May 16, 2006. I don't know anything about any of this - is this a serf III chipset, or will it at least offer the same funtionality?

Thanks

GeoSweets

Ironically the iFinder GO (at least the newer units) have a SirF III chip in them. If the "confusion" is high EPE numbers, Lowrance tends to be very conservative about the number it shows in the unit. It may also be that the iFinder GO has a pretty slow processor (one of the reasons it is so inexpensive). As for you other question, I'm not sure, but I'm sure others on here can answer it.

is this a serf III chipset, or will it at least offer the same funtionality?

No, it is a SiGe Semiconductor chipset, the SE4100L model. I believe the SE4100L has 12-channels and WAAS enabled. The SiRF (not serf :)) Star III chipset is a 20 channel receiver.

A Google search for 'DeLorme PN-20 GPS' produces numerous hits from various sites but DeLorme.com is mum. The only reference to a new handheld GPS I could find at DeLorme was: "The company announced a new handheld GPS receiver at the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show, which will display DeLorme color topographic maps and aerial imagery."

From DeLorme

Thanks for your patience everyone. We are in the very final stages of this project now dealing with FCC stickers and the like and hope we will be able to start taking orders in early/mid December. The unit is really coming together well and the ability to bring both Topo maps and our imagery is very exciting. An updated version of Topo USA 6.0 on DVD will be included for existing T-6 customers at no extra charge so the price for the unit with that copy of T-6 for those people should be starting as low as $299 -- that includes full U.S. topo coverage, access to the free imagery and Topoquads downloads, and an excellent Sharp TFT color screen. More later. Thanks for your interest.

More from Delorme

Same thread as the above posts, but more information has been added, and some questions answered. They've even posted pictures of the packaging. Tentative pricing (subject to possibly change) is also in there now.

It'll use AA's or a Li-ion battery, SD cards (up to 2GB) USB transfer and 75MB internal memory.

What I found most interesting in that topic was a statement from someone in DeLorme Staff:

Also...we are looking into offering a competitive upgrade program/price for those of you who have recently invested in another brand and want to try ours. We're working on that now and will let you know before too long what if anything we come up with.

From another post.

Thanks for your interest. We are hopeful to begin selling the first ten days of January. I would compare it to the Garmin 60CS but the ability of the device to work with data layers is very powerful. Essentially, once you have a topo map, street map, & aerial image on the device of the same location, it is automatically recognized and you can choose which layer you want at that time using the Data Layering on the device. I've been measuring with my beta device at home on the B&W DOQQ imagery and am very impressed with how good the device is. BUt being able to switch among the various data types of the same location really offers a total view unlike what I've seen elsewhere. And as an added benefit, the road routing and back on track, which is a secondary usage for this type of handheld device, is really very good...better than I thought it was going to be and I work here! The interplay between the desktop software and the device has come a long way quickly and is very powerful.

We will offer an in-vehicle mount, a handlebar mount, and SD card and reader, which is suggested for imagery usage given the file sizes, and more. Be sure to check our Web site in early January for more details.

Soon to be out, can't wait!