What Is The Best Gps For Geocaching Only (i.e. No Mapping Or Autorouting Needed)

SriSoKoSu

I am fairly new to geocaching and have the age old question of "which is the best GPS unit" ... but my needs are somewhat different from most of the other similar posts I read in this forum. In short, I do not need any navigational assitance from the GPS while driving; what I do need is for the GPS to accurately guide me to the final cache location once I am close to it.

So I am posting this question with details of what I need and hoping the more experienced GPS users here will be able to guide me with choosing the right unit.

I already have a GPS system that I use for driving around. This is a PocketPC based system with a SiRFStarIII based bluetooth GPS receiver and mapping software, and this setup works very well for navigational assistance while driving. Since I do not have any other GPS unit at the moment, I have been using the PPC+Bluetooth GPS for geocaching purposes as well. While this works quite well, I am always afraid of dropping the PocketPC or spilling water on it and lose all my stored data in the process (since the PPC is my main PDA as well).

So I have been thinking about getting a handheld GPS unit dedicated for geocaching usage. I want to get the best GPS receiver that will guide me to the final cache location as accurately as possible. I do NOT need this "geoaching GPS" to have any autorouting capabilities since I will NOT be using it for driving around. I do not need any mapping features either, unless they are needed for geocaching as well.

My plan is that when we go out for geocaching in the future, I will be using my current PocketPC + Bluetooth GPS to drive to the nearest parking lot then leave the pocket pc setup in the car and use only the "geocaching GPS" to take me to the actual cache location. Hence the two main features I want from the "geocaching GPS" are very accurate coordinates and a built-in compass that acts like a 'real' magnetic (needle based) compass.

More specifically, here are the features I would like to have in my ideal "geocaching GPS" unit --

Features that are
really
important

• Ability to show location coordinates (Lat/Lon) very accurately (i.e. take me as close to the cache location as possible).
  • (related to the above point) It needs to be WAAS enabled and have any other similar capabilities that increases positional accuracy
  • Very accurate built-in compass that will work even when standing still (i.e. behave like a 'real' magnetic needle based compass)
  • Highly sensitive GPS receiver chipset that will quickly acquire satellite signal and maintain a lock even under fully or partially covered locations (e.g. under dense trees)
  • Rugged and durable construction (shock resistant and waterproof)
  • Long battery life (at least 10-12 hrs or more)
  • Bright daylight readable screen
  • Small and lightweight
  • Uses standard AA or AAA batteries (i.e. not any kind of proprietary batteries) ... so I can carry a few spares

Features that are not
absolutely
necessary, but would be nice to have

• PC connectivity would be really nice (so that I can download a bunch of cache locations and not have to enter them manually)
  • A color screen would be nice, but I can live with a black & white screen if all the other features are available
  • Price is not a major concern, but it will be nice if I could get something under $300-350 or so (however, I am willing to pay more if that is necessary to get all the features I really want ... so please don't let the cost prevent you from suggesting an otherwise nice GPS)
  • The ability to download multiple cache locations simultaneously would be nice, but if I had to enter and use one location at a time, that won't be a big deal
  • Geocaching icons would be nice, but not really needed

Features that I don't care about (and would prefer not to pay for, if possible)

• Mapping (unless this is needed for geocaching as well)
  • Autorouting
  • Voice Guidance or turn-by-turn guidance
  • Any other features that are helpful for driving only
  • Alarm Clock or Calendar
  • Tide prediction or any other marine or fishing related features

Is there any handheld GPS unit out there right now that supports all these features ? I have been looking at the various Garmin units but haven't found one yet that I can call perfect. The eTrex Vista C and Geko 301 models come pretty close, except they don't use the new highly sensitive GPS chipsets from SiRF. The GPSMAP 60CSX and GPSMAP 76CSX units match my requirements pretty closely, but looking at the specs it looks like I would be paying a lot more for many features on these units that will be completely unnecessary for me.

Basically I think what I need is a "basic" handheld GPS unit that uses the latest generation receiver chipset and has a 'real' compass built in. If such a thing doesn't exist, does anyone know if either Garmin or Magellan has any plans to release such a unit in the next couple months ?

I will appreciate any feedbacks/suggestions from anyone.

Like I said, we are still quite new to geocaching and are still trying to figure out what is really important and what is not. If any of you experienced geocachers feel that any of the requirements I listed as important above are not really that important (and vice versa), please do point them out.

Thanks very much in advance !

Edited by chuntu

The ones with the electronic compass can be a bit buggy, with some problems with the Explorist 600, or 60CS, at times.

I would suggest the Map60Cx, which is sensitive enough, to not really need the compass, plus there is a long battery life with the Map60Cx, but with the Map60CSx, it is sensitive enough to allow lots of use of the compass, without loosing signal.

The 76Cx is really nice, with a good basemap built-in.

I would have to say that the Explorist 500 is a cheaper GPS, but lacks a good Trip Info screen, that the more expensive Garmins have. The Explorist 500 I think is the best unit for Geocaching, if your mainly doing that.

-

Geoff

Since mapping is not a big deal for you, memory requirements wouldn't be high. I would recommend the older Garmin 60CS or VistaC as the prices are coming down since the new X units are out. It has everything you are looking for and you could load the topo maps which would be beneficial on long trips in the woods to find a cache.

One more thing, since the electronic compass is important to you these units typically have mapping capabilities so consider it an added bonus :mad:

Edited by moonpup

Sounds like you want a Lowrance.

They do not have auto-routing, but have detailed data displays, excellent satellite reception, are fairly small, have color screens, detailed mapping (or not, it's optional), and many other features you mentioned wanting.

Here is a link to someones recent review of the Expedition C.

Edited by Airmapper

For about $89 you can get an Explorist 100 which is a good basic GPSr that has good reception with no frills and for the compass, you can pick up a decent magnetic compass for about $12 (not to mention more reliable that one on a GPSr}. But if $300-350 is what your willing to spend, most GPSr will have the features that are not that important to you. My guess is that you will find it very pleasing with the extra features found in the GPSr that are in the $300-350 price range.

-Jeff

Thanks everyone for the suggestions ! I am checking out a few reviews to decide which way to go. At this point I am leaning towards getting something towards the higher end of my budget so that I cover all the basic features that I want. Looks like I will be getting some mapping capability anyway whether I use it or not ... so I am not going to fight it too much :huh:

Thanks again for all the suggestions !