Gis Software

parker2

Hi Parker,

Have you had a look at GPS trackmaker? Its free software that will allow you to easily do what you want. You can set the image of a map as the background and using two reference points you can calibrate the image to latitude and longitude. I use it all the time for doing exactly what you want to do. The beauty of it is it will accept the waypoints in a multitude of formats such as GPX, KML, SHP, OziExplorer, Magellan, and Lowrance to name a few. Your results can be saved in just as many formats. Did I mention its free? The basic free version has most of the functionality of Fugawi with a much nicer price tag.

You can check it out at GPS TrackMaker

If you need help with it let me know.

Cheers,

Logger

I did something similar a few years ago with the help of my "GIS wiz" husband. I did a PQ to get all of the caches in Ontario (there were only about 1000 back then!). The .gpx file that you get is essentially xml - just rename it with the .xml extension. This is where Hub used a style sheet to extract all of the cache info from the xml file (don't ask me how he did it - he either wrote a script or did a Google search to find an existing one) That created a table that we could open in ArcMAp & create a point layer shape file from. Then we added the parks polygon shapefile layer & did a point in poly query. It really helps to have a GIS/programming geek in the family!

-Donna G

Edited by TheGertridgeExplorers

Ok I think I almost got this cased........ but I still have an issue. There are 3 zones in the province and I have to plot the cords in utm ( without the zone extention). Now my problem lies that the GIS system they use, uses UTM zone extentions and my points only show up in zone 13. Is there software (free) that will allow me to convert my waypoints to the extended datiums? I think this is what I am looking for.

parker2

I did something similar a few years ago with the help of my "GIS wiz" husband. I did a PQ to get all of the caches in Ontario (there were only about 1000 back then!). The .gpx file that you get is essentially xml - just rename it with the .xml extension. This is where Hub used a style sheet to extract all of the cache info from the xml file (don't ask me how he did it - he either wrote a script or did a Google search to find an existing one) That created a table that we could open in ArcMAp & create a point layer shape file from. Then we added the parks polygon shapefile layer & did a point in poly query. It really helps to have a GIS/programming geek in the family!

-Donna G

Did you try the Excel Spreadsheet called WaypointWorkbench ? It is for comverting such points in various systems.

Avalaible here:

Keen People page WaypointWorkbench link