Geocaching Without A Gps!

Sir_Issac2

:) Hello Everyone!!!

Here is my question, how many out there cache with out a GPS?

All I use is what is listed as hints from fellow chachers and look at pictures and then I mainly use Google Earth with the Geocachers.com patch file that shows where the caches are.

In the last two weeks I have found 4 caches without a GPS.

Or is there anyone out there that does this, or even better is there a name for Geocaching without a GPS????

Thanks,

Sir_Issac2

Guess it could be called orienteering in some sense, I found my first 35 without a GPSr and if it weren't for the cost of printer ink to spew out topos I would still probably do it.

It is very satisfying to locate a geocache without a unit. I always used the method of finding "geographic handrails" to point me to the cache. BTW multis really don't work well without a GPSr unless you want to make a few trips home.

Or is there anyone out there that does this, or even better is there a name for Geocaching without a GPS????

Here in New England we might call someone like this "Walden Run". :mad: He's got over 2,700 finds, so I'd have to say it's possible to be quite successful without relying on a GPSr. (Heck, I don't even have 1/10th as many finds, and I do use a GPSr! :mad:)

You might get a kick out of his forum avatar: 37231_300.jpg

Here in New England we might call someone like this "Walden Run". :mad: He's got over 2,700 finds, so I'd have to say it's possible to be quite successful without relying on a GPSr. (Heck, I don't even have 1/10th as many finds, and I do use a GPSr! :mad:)

If you look at his bio it says

"Biography:

Just love doing this with/without using GPS."

I would have to say that he didn't get that many finds without a GPS.

I started GeoCaching a little over a month ago and I do it without a GPS. I still have less than 20 finds, but I am having a blast already.

I have been involved in Adventure Racing (which bans GPS) and orienteering which also only uses maps and a compass, so I consider it a little more of a challenge to get to the find without a GPS.

I use the clues, google maps or google earth, topos, a compass and sometimes 4 sets of eyes to make the finds.

I am starting to plan my first hide, but will have to be careful to provide good coords when I do. I want it to be a puzzle cache and maybe even have one stage that uses just clues or compass bearings or something. It is still in it's infancy.

Some day I will get me a GPSr, but for now, we do it sans r.

Cache on,

Johar923

:mad:

Mind-boggling as it might sound to us mere mortals, the vast majority of those finds were done without a GPSr. Never underestimate the power of raw determination. (Especially when combined with pre-trip research, topos, sat photos, and a well-developed sense of "The Force". :mad:)

I used to do all of my finds without a GPS. Most caches are way too easy with one. These days I bring it with me, in case I can't find it on my own. I feel like I kind of let go of my roots (when I was caching i Europe, too hard to find and print off maps) but I'm finding my way back!! The term I coined a couple years back for caching without a GPS is "TradCaching". Some people think that caching with a GPS would be TradCaching, but I think that that would be called TradGeocaching. Caching, and finding has been going on long before there was GEO. Treasure Island has caching without the geo, among others. I love caching with a map and compass. Its amazing how you can be as precise or sometimes even moreso with a compass as with a GPS when you're out in the boonies. Keep on Tradcaching. Don't be lured by the machine. It can take some of the satisfaction out of finding a hard one. Even a lamp-post micro can be an adventure when you have your eyes up rather than looking at the arrow. I guess that I am now a Hybrid-Cacher.

Edited by tubby and

Before I bought my GPS I found a few caches using Topozone. I did not log them because I was not certain I would be able to afford a GPS and continue to cache...I am also into Orienteering and I think those skills I learned Orienteering made it possible for me to locate those caches before getting the GPSr. I love both sports and only wish there were Orienteering Courses every weekend in my area.

Guess it could be called orienteering in some sense, I found my first 35 without a GPSr and if it weren't for the cost of printer ink to spew out topos I would still probably do it.

It is very satisfying to locate a geocache without a unit. I always used the method of finding "geographic handrails" to point me to the cache. BTW multis really don't work well without a GPSr unless you want to make a few trips home.

Agree... Multis are tough, but you can do them with a cheat sheet and a calculator.. or just memorize the distance covered by 1/100 of a degree at your latitude. I usually don't do them in a single trip.. but it is often possible. Problems are when the coordinates take you off the map you have printed out for the first stage. Then a trip home to reprint is necessary. In a couple cases where stage1 was to answer a question that contained a number that gave you stage 2, I printed out all the logical spots around the first stage then upon getting the answer at stage 1, went to the specific stage 2 that was indicated. Lots more paper and ink, but lots less gasoline. :mad:

Before I bought my GPS I found a few caches using Topozone. I did not log them because I was not certain I would be able to afford a GPS and continue to cache...I am also into Orienteering and I think those skills I learned Orienteering made it possible for me to locate those caches before getting the GPSr. I love both sports and only wish there were Orienteering Courses every weekend in my area.

BAOC is too far away?

Mind-boggling as it might sound to us mere mortals, the vast majority of those finds were done without a GPSr. Never underestimate the power of raw determination. (Especially when combined with pre-trip research, topos, sat photos, and a well-developed sense of "The Force". :o)

WR has been known to follow his companion's GPSes when he is with others, but the majority of his finds ARE without GPS.

Web-ling is another with over a thousand finds, mostly without GPS. He keeps an actual count on his page and its 70 percent.

For me its 2 out of 453. Tried for number three last week and searched for a while before we gave up and I flicked on the unit. Turned out we were only 60 feet away.