A New Cache For You Hikers Out There

Team Rampant Lion

After two months in planning and about $100 in drill bits, I finally completed the Stokes State Forest Petroglyph Trail Challenge. As I told a few of you I'd provide a heads up, here it is.

If this works the way I intended it to, it will provide an excellent long hike through a scenic forest with some great views along the way. If it doesn't, I'm sure a couple nastygrams might be headed my way. Since it is such a long hike and this is a bit of an experimental concept, if you are heading out and want a phone-a-friend link drop me an email in advance and if I'm available I'll give you a number to call in case you get stuck.

Bring your camera because you will want it. Here's a preview of your path:

f5597be8-849b-434a-a599-b950538916c7.jpg

Good luck and ENJOY!!

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

Sounds like a good excuse for a group hike/hunt. When are we going?

I'm planning to go on Sunday, the 19th. By my calculations I should be at 999 that morning. I hit #800 at TRL's Epic 4 on a group hike and #900 at TRL's Jack's Trail Marker on a group hike...there seems to be a pattern developing here.

Sounds like a good excuse for a group hike/hunt. When are we going?

I'm planning to go on Sunday, the 19th. By my calculations I should be at 999 that morning. I hit #800 at TRL's Epic 4 on a group hike and #900 at TRL's Jack's Trail Marker on a group hike...there seems to be a pattern developing here.

Grrrrrr :D Sundays suck for me! Think I will be in Mytrle Beach by then anyway. Good luck!

I live in MD, but have family in PA, does anyone know how far of a drive this is from Quakertown or Kutztown?

Thanks

Probably about 2 1/2 hours.

I live near Princeton, NJ (an hour southeast of Quakertown) and it only takes me 2 hours to get to High Point (which is slightly to the north of this cache)

I live in MD, but have family in PA, does anyone know how far of a drive this is from Quakertown or Kutztown?

Thanks

Probably about 2 1/2 hours.

I live near Princeton, NJ (an hour southeast of Quakertown) and it only takes me 2 hours to get to High Point (which is slightly to the north of this cache)

Having found this cache today I know the drive from Lansdale, PA was 2-3/4 hour going and 2-1/2 returning. Quakertown is slightly north of Lansdale and may save you 15 to 20 minutes. Brian’s estimate is good, we have made this drive many times, it is mostly 2 lane highways, or going out of your way on freeways.

Congratulations Waterboy with Wife on the FTF for the Petroglyph Trail Challenge cache. I have a special FTF prize for you that will take me a couple weeks to get made up and I will post a pic here when ready.

I can't tell you how relieved I am that all the pieces worked. This cache gave a whole new meaning to "set in stone".

One other note for future seekers, once you've hit the final cache I would recommend you head to this spot (N41 13.125; W074 43.102) for one of the most spectacular views in northwest NJ. It requires about another 200' climb and 0.3 mile hike but it is worth it.

One other note for future seekers, once you've hit the final cache I would recommend you head to this spot (N41 13.125; W074 43.102) for one of the most spectacular views in northwest NJ. It requires about another 200' climb and 0.3 mile hike but it is worth it.

Skigirl and I were there today and it is well worth the short hike. Even though overcast, the views were great. It must be really special on a clear day.

This is a nice hike. It's up there with Ay Caramba !! as one of the better long distance multis in the region.

This cache has been dormant since MAY! :o

As several of you mentioned that you didn't want to do it until I confirmed that Stage 3 was there and Stage 4 was readable, I headed out today for maintenance. The Stage 3 petroglyph is not visible on the rock but the coordinates are - I pulled it out to a more visible location where I hope it will dry out. I also replaced the Stage 4 rock with a new one with more readable coordinates.

I also backed up every location with a second marker so that you have two chances to find the clues at each location. In some cases these are bison tube micros and in some cases petroglyphs carved into slate squares. These are equally well hidden so they are not gimmes but just in case one becomes unreadable there is back-up to look for.

The Fall colors are starting to really show up. A lot of spectacular reds and yellows were out today. Don't miss an opportunity for a great long hike with some spectacular views along the way.

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

Finally Lacrosse season is over and I will have a few weekends to myself.

With that in mind, it is about that time of year where I need to go do a maintenance check on this cache. Anyone interested in joining me and making it a group hike?

Post your interest and we'll set a date a few weeks out so you can plan for it.

The thing about dates is no matter how you plan, they will always present a problem for someone, so you just have to bite the bullet and pick a date and assume you will make some enemies and some friends. :D And the guy picking the date will always hear about it. :D

But being that my vacation is already over for the year-- :D ---I should be open, for at least part of the walk. The problem with taking vacation immediately after school lets out is that you now watch everyone else go off, and they all tell you about their plans. I arrived back and two minutes later someone was telling me that they are leaving for Alaska on Friday--pretty dang nasty if you ask me.

Can you give us some meeting coords/parking coords? I couldn't find any on the link to the gc page.

I am good to go . . . just need to know what time I should leave to make it in time.

(I also noted that there are a couple other caches in the area, including an Earthcache. Will any of these be along our route of travel?)

--Brian

:ph34r:-->

QUOTE(brian b @ Jul 7 2008, 08:44 PM) 3548211[/snapback]

Can you give us some meeting coords/parking coords? I couldn't find any on the link to the gc page.

I am good to go . . . just need to know what time I should leave to make it in time.

(I also noted that there are a couple other caches in the area, including an Earthcache. Will any of these be along our route of travel?)

--Brian

The entrance to Stokes State Forest is located off Route 206 at N41 11.082 W074 47.827. From there, take Coursen Road as far back (north) as it will go. Turn right and head to the Stoney Lake parking area and we will meet there.

There are 4-5 caches in the area to do and I believe the earthcache will be along the route. It won't be hard to hit most of them.

I'm just loading waypoints and looking at the area. I assume that from the parking location, we are hiking North-East in the area of Stokes bounded by Route 206 and Route 23?

Paul

Yes, enter the park off the 206 entrance and head straight back (as far as the road will go) and turn right to head toward the Stony Lake parking area.

Forecast so far looks good for the hike - overcast, cool with a slight chance of sprinkles. See you at 9:00 AM.