Which Coin Was Stolen From Me Today?

GrnXnham

Geocoin Club and all shippers need to read this thread!!Imail all coins stapled inside of light card board IE.Cearal boxes cut into 3x8" strips folded over stapled closed with coin inside so it can't move around and cut through the mailer!!Haven't lost one yet!!

Edited by Nanni&PapK57

Very interesting. Now that I look at the package, it looks like the Nevada coins probably just sliced their way through the end of the padded envelope. I'll bet the Nevada coins came in those sharp edged plastic sleeves like most coins do. And every other coin I have received from the Geocoinclub has just been sloshing around in the envelope as well. They don't secure the coins in the envelope at all.

Geocoin Club and all shippers need to read this thread!!Imail all coins stapled inside of light card board IE.Cearal boxes cut into 3x8" strips folded over stapled closed with coin inside so it can't move around and cut through the mailer!!Haven't lost one yet!!

Sounds like I've just been plain lucky those loose coins flopping around in the mailers have all made it to me thus far. Prolly just jinxed myself. :mad:

On the coins I've mailed, I cut used bubble mailers to size, placed the coin between layers, taped the edges, and placed it inside an intact bubble mailer, then use clear sealing tape. I also put the recipient's name on the package inside the package. Seems to have worked well. Prolly just jinxed myself again. :mad:

This might work for the infrequent trade, but would be a real PITA for hundreds of mailings.

What Alex has done -- stapling the cellophane to a card --- seems to be a good solution. Prolly just jinxed Alex. :mad:

At any rate, given recent occurences, mass coin mailers need to pay attention in the interest of customer satisfaction.

©¿©¬

That's why I'm requiring insurance on our new Loggerhead's Geocoin!!! You're not the first one that has had them stolen in the same manner.

I would rather have someone mad at me for making them pay for insurance than to have them mad when I want replace their coin(s).

Sorry to hear about your lose!

Mr & Mrs. Loggerhead

Loggerhead's Geocoin Website

These aren't "stolen" coins, they are loose coins sliding around in an envelope and the edges of the coins slice the ends open from being jostled around in shipment. If everyone just took the extra steps as outlined in Jaybee's Shipping Method in the pined section (although it is kinda lost up there) or in Crake's thread showing how he tested and packaged the Texas Bluebonnet coins, there wouldn't be this problem.

Being relatively new to geocoin madness, this is something of an eyeopener! But, it does explain why one person I buy from does what he does: The well padded coin (not bubble wrapped) is firmly taped to the inside of the slightly larger than usual bubble pack (I think) mailer, probably larger so he can get his hand in there. I've always thought, "Boy, what a pain it is to get this out!" But now I understand!

That's why I'm requiring insurance on our new Loggerhead's Geocoin!!! Loggerhead's Geocoin Website

There are third party insurers that are much less expensive than the USPS. For the example quoted above, insurance runs ~10% of the items value. OUCH! U-Pic is one third-party insurer, and there may be others as well. I haven't used any of the third party insurers so I don't know how good they are about paying claims. But I do not know of anybody, self included, who has sucessfully filed a claim (e.g., been reimbursed) with the USPS.

I have lost a geocoin in the manner described in this thread (loose in a mailer, apparently freed itself). The seller has offered to replace it :mad:. Overall, the best insurance for getting a coin to its destination is careful packaging. As a seller of (transportation) tokens I'd rather put a bit of extra effort into making sure that my items are packed appropriately than allienate a customer.

There are third party insurers that are much less expensive than the USPS. For the example quoted above, insurance runs ~10% of the items value. OUCH! U-Pic is one third-party insurer, and there may be others as well. I haven't used any of the third party insurers so I don't know how good they are about paying claims. But I do not know of anybody, self included, who has sucessfully filed a claim (e.g., been reimbursed) with the USPS.

While it wasn't related to a coin, it was for a satellite receiver bought on e-bay, I have successfully filed an insurance claim with the USPS. Yes, it was a pain, and requires the sender to provide proof of insurance. I guess the insurance tag on the package isn't quite good enough?

That could have been mine fluteface. When I send coins out (either trades or sales) I wrap the coin in a printed copy of packing list or the trade e-mail, then wrap it in plastic wrap and tape it inside the #0 bubble mailer. I've done some shaking of it and it appears to hold well enough to avoid the packing failure that has its own thread. I buy the #0 because that is what Sam's club carries :mad: (about .18 each)

Although I have not lost any coins I have noticed that the WHITE mailer do seem to come in with cuts in them. The brown mailer never have.

For all coins I send, I package the coin inside cutdown mailers with a lable on it and then place thanm in a new Brown mailer with another lable. So far I have not had any problems using this method. The double mailer gives it extra pading and if it were to open the inside package still should make it to its destination.

Plus even using the double mailer the cost of mailing is the same since it isn't adding much weight.

Team Sand Dollar

Although I have not lost any coins I have noticed that the WHITE mailer do seem to come in with cuts in them. The brown mailer never have.

The torn open IL mailer I received yesterday was brown. I don't think the mailer has as much to do with it as does the plastic soft case for the coin and if the coin is packed in either bubble wrap or another mailer. There is a cheaper plastic case that's brittle. This one seems to tear open the mailers like an exacto knife would. When these coins are left loose in the mailer, they tear through the paper mailer.